Bizarre Morelos article in the Daily Record

Article by gordon parks

Ever since Daniel Candeias walked away from Rangers, the silence has been deafening.

Not a peep, not a word and not a clue how his best mate Alfredo Morelos feels about current affairs at Ibrox.

The departure of his pal and interpreter was a double whammy both on the right flank and for any chance of hearing from the Colombian striker.

There was a time last June when speculation was rife that the hitman had suitors prepared to fork out serious money to take Morelos elsewhere.

But there was Candeias, shoved out to speak on his team-mate’s behalf and insisting the Ibrox frontman was only thinking about Rangers.

He said: “This moment is for Rangers and he will only get better. We are good friends because Alfredo only speaks Spanish. He doesn’t speak English yet.”

The truth is there were secondary reasons why Morelos had to have a stand-in as his mouthpiece at that particular period.

There was a lack of trust, ongoing disciplinary problems and a reluctance to risk any further collateral damage by putting their biggest asset out front and centre.

It’s over two years since Morelos arrived in Glasgow and no doubt the language barrier has been a hurdle but El Bufalo (The Buffalo in English) has had plenty of time to become familiar with the lingo (slang for language).

Rangers already have the services of an on-site translator so let’s take the lack of English excuse right off the table.

Steven Gerrard insists he has no problems about getting Morelos up to the microphone to try and articulate his thoughts about a range of matters.

And to be fair, a media briefing under the watchful eye of club communication employees is a far cry from being plonked on a big black chair for an edition of Mastermind.

He even offered to go and get him a few months ago so the press could ask him ourselves whether he was happy to remain at the club. It proved to be an empty gesture as the silent one wasn’t forthcoming.

And why does this matter?

Morelos scored in each of the three league wins in September to take his tally to 14 in 19 appearances this season while Rangers led Celtic at the top of the table by two points until Saturday.

For his efforts he’s just been named as Ladbrokes Player of the Month and he was pictured with the sponsors trophy in most of the daily newspapers.

Hiding behind a lack of English or not, the man himself opted out of talking, doing a massive disservice to the sponsor and his fans who I’m sure would love to hear his views on his achievement and his thoughts about the club.

All good positive PR about how well it’s been going at Ibrox this term and his impressive start to the season. But nothing.

As a player, he has a responsibility to promote the club, whether it’s to sell tickets or highlight one cause or another. It’s an unspoken duty of the modern footballer.

Morelos may have a behaviour record which a monk would be proud of in recent months but surely that doesn’t mean he needs to continue his vow of silence

They hate him dont they?

Nobody else can speak Spanish other than the candyman.

Thats our striking department fuuked then.

Weird, weird story. But it's yer Retard so whats new.

He's showing them the level of respect they show him.

Hope he continues to do so. The fans aren't getting short-changed as we're more than happy for him to do his talking on the pitch.

The press are just upset that they can't twist his words to put out clickbait articles.

EHTkLumW4AIPAnb

Are there any fans on here that think Alfredo is doing us a disservice ?

As long as he does his talking on the park, I don't give a shit.

How many of the pricks who are slagging of Alfredo for his lack of English can speak another language, with their writing skills it looks like they struggle with English.

After Jackson's article on Morelos not long after he arrived here is it any wonder Alfie ignores or has been advised to ignore the press up here?

Gordon Parks is exactly as you would imagine, a Rangers hating “Aberdeen” fan. I used to drink in the same pubs as him as i come from the same area. Guys a prick

It's been going on from the start. Remeber Jackson's article on Morelos which was littered with snide references to the drug trade - 'imports', 'trafficked', 'smuggled', 'cartel', 'white lines' 'street value', 'Escobar' etc.
I don't read the papers but you've got to be kidding? Was that all in the one article?

Don't answer bud, I've really no reason to doubt what you say when it comes to keech.

This guy is a worse journalist than he was a footballer. And from what I recall that was as a squad player at East Stirling.

I wonder if the Hearts racist that abused Alfie read Parks article and was inspired by it

Morelos has been shamefully overlooked for that award on about 6 different occasions where he should have won. Why on Earth would he show them any respect, just because they finally caved and gave him the award? He should have told them to stick it up their arse in all honesty.

As long as alfie keeps doing what he's doing that will lead us to trophies and a massive transfer fee I couldn't care less if I never hear him speak

It's really gnawing at their diseased ridden genitals that Alfie has overcome the abuse and victimisation to continually sit top of the tree. They would love nothing more for Alfie to slip up in his English so they can ridicule his character and reputation as Scotlands best. Parks is a racist barsteward, he must be proud

That article is an absolute disgrace and Kick It Out should be all over it like a rash but I won't hold my breath. Basically the scumbag writer is saying "how dare you come to these shores and not learn our language".

Only in Rangers hating Scotland could we have a player win POTM yet end up being criticised.

Davey Cooper wouldn’t talk to media for years. Don’t see a problem they always find a negative anyway feck them.

Putting aside this ridiculous article and the idiot that wrote it (why would someone be compelled to give press interviews, and if they wanted to chat to him why don’t they pay for a Spanish translator) I have wondered myself why Alfredo seems reluctant to learn English.

Two and a half years in a country should see you nearly on the way to fluency.

“Alfredo, don’t you think your career would be much improved in England”

“Alfredo, if a life altering offer came in from Villa, would you take it”

“Alfredo, what guidance did you get to improve your awful discipline”

“Alfredo, does it bother you that you’ve never scored against the treble treble champions”

“Alfredo, which referee is the worst you’ve ever had referee you”

“Alfredo, did you deliberately kick Brown between the legs”

Why would he subject himself to that? The mhedia up here would be desperate to land him in front of the Compliant Tim.

He’d be mental to do it.

Last edited:
Honestly this is an absolute joke. Seriously why don’t we just not buy any of these papers as a protest at the absolute none sense that being written about our players, our staff, directors and club...?

What point is this imbecile trying to make? It’s alfredo’s responsibility to give interviews?? It’s alfredo’s responsibility to play football to the best of his ability, end of story.

a lot of Scottish players over the years would have been better served concentrating on their football rather than cosying up to their media buddies.

Reminds me of the press labelling Davie Cooper 'Moody Blue' because of his righteous contempt for them.

If anything that increased my respect for him, same with Alfie.

As long as he's scoring goals for us, That's all I care about. Parks is a bitter, twisted looking fanny.

Back