Bluenose now an offensive phrase apparently

uneasydaz

LIBRARY researchers have produced a readers’ guide to offensive phrases - including terms like “jock”, “blue nose” and “19th Century Terrorist”.

Boffins made the 257-page guide to highlight potentially derogatory slurs users may come across in books, websites and archives.

The National Library of Scotland’s document, named Inclusive Terminology, lists “outdated and harmful” language.

Among insults considered sectarian are “hun”, “proddy”, “drum basher”, “soap dodgers”, “Orange b*****d” and “Jungle Jims”.

It explains why terms such as “zombies” and “manky mob” are offensive and even gives politically-correct alternatives.

The handbook’s authors said: “The meaning of language has changed over time, being largely dependent on historical and social context and subject to individual preferences.”

The document lists offensive terms relating to race, sexuality, gender, disability, religion and beliefs as well as class.

It refers to the UK’s colonial past with dozens of examples of racial slurs.

A large section focuses on Scotland, mentioning terms like “sawney”, an old derogatory term for Scots.

The guide is currently a first draft but bosses at the library in Edinburgh hope to expand it in the future.

A spokeswoman said: “We constantly review how we describe the collections in our catalogues so people can find what they’re looking for.

“Discriminatory language hinders this process because most people don’t use that language to search our collections.

“Most of these terms don’t feature in our catalogue descriptions - but it’s important for everyone in the sector to be aware of and address discriminatory language.”

Sounds like a document compiled by the absolute biggest of bellends. The idea that any of that language is “harmful” is fucking absurd.

Soap dodging gimps.

LIBRARY researchers have produced a readers’ guide to offensive phrases - including terms like “jock”, “blue nose” and “19th Century Terrorist”.

Boffins made the 257-page guide to highlight potentially derogatory slurs users may come across in books, websites and archives.

The National Library of Scotland’s document, named Inclusive Terminology, lists “outdated and harmful” language.

Among insults considered sectarian are “hun”, “proddy”, “drum basher”, “soap dodgers”, “Orange b*****d” and “Jungle Jims”.

It explains why terms such as “zombies” and “manky mob” are offensive and even gives politically-correct alternatives.

The handbook’s authors said: “The meaning of language has changed over time, being largely dependent on historical and social context and subject to individual preferences.”

The document lists offensive terms relating to race, sexuality, gender, disability, religion and beliefs as well as class.

A large section focuses on Scotland, mentioning terms like “sawney”, an old derogatory term for Scots.

The guide is currently a first draft but bosses at the library in Edinburgh hope to expand it in the future.

A spokeswoman said: “We constantly review how we describe the collections in our catalogues so people can find what they’re looking for.

“Discriminatory language hinders this process because most people don’t use that language to search our collections.

“Most of these terms don’t feature in our catalogue descriptions - but it’s important for everyone in the sector to be aware of and address discriminatory language.”
Which FF admin wrote this?

Absolute waste of money and of the time.of everyone involved. I have a sneaky feeling it's a public sector organisation or a quango, i.e. we're paying.

We are in an age when historical industries and companies that have been around for 100s of years are struggling to keep afloat.
The booming new kids on the block as a whole new sector is the mock offended industry who contribute £0 to the economy, picking and pecking away sucking the life out of everything how much are these clowns taking out of the economy?

The perfect list for the new 'hate crime' legislation.. If its on the list expect to be arrested and prosecuted... It really does feel as if society is having a form of mental breakdown. We should all have our eyes to the ground and say nothing other than the legal and allowed phrases to each other. The state knows what is best for us, and we thank the state for our happiness.

Right. Some of the terms and phrases sure, but what's wrong with blue nose?
My second post today and I'll use the same word, context in both of them.

Neither blue nose or jungle Jim seem particularly offensive to me.
If speaking to someone in your social Circle.
Or about oneself or fellow fans of your club.

You probably shouldn't be using them when talking about a thirdy party you don't know though.

It's gonna turn into middle England cricket talk.
Bluenose: " I say old chap spiffing game of footy between our two teams, what."
Rhabid:" Well rather I expect they'll be a bit of a gafuffle over your rather fortunate last minute penalty winner."
Bluenose:" Well what can we expect in merry old Scotland eh, good luck old chap and better luck next time ."
Rhabid: " Cheerio old chap."

Who decides and how is it decided on what is racist and sectarian and what isn’t? It wouldn’t bother me if there wasn’t this bullshit hate crime bill overshadowing it all.

It’s the idea you can be punished because someone high up decided the word you use is now a form of hate speech

I’m all for getting rid of sectarian crap from society and from football , we’ve had Hun etc thrown at us for far too long. However I fail to see how bluenose can possibly offend anyone it’s a friendly non offensive term used by tens of thousands of us daily “ he’s a good bluenose “ I’ll never stop using it

Back