BlueNoseBars

The way the internet works now, noone would ever show up to a bar off the back of seeing it on a website without first checking social media to ensure it was still open and running. COVID will only have increased that phenomenon.

That basically makes the website defunct.

The way the internet works now, noone would ever show up to a bar off the back of seeing it on a website without first checking social media to ensure it was still open and running. COVID will only have increased that phenomenon.

And what if the site provided said links to social media to verify, and also allowed Bears to maintain the site by themselves?

Bluenose bars website was always handy for looking up before going on holiday. To see where you’d be spending the best part of 2 weeks in amongst your own. Even better if they had British ale & scran also.
I'm thinking of compiling a directory similar. The food & drink info was something I was thinking about adding already. Any other useful info you'd like to see?

I'm thinking of compiling a directory similar. The food & drink info was something I was thinking about adding already. Any other useful info you'd like to see?

What about having a thread with such information on followfollow?

Was in the Ibrox Bar in Tenerife on Thursday and it’s a great place. Could add in which nights have entertainment, advice on match days

What about having a thread with such information on followfollow?

Was in the Ibrox Bar in Tenerife on Thursday and it’s a great place. Could add in which nights have entertainment, advice on match days
Well, there's kind of been separate posts over the years. In my opinion, threads are great for ongoing discussion but they are not good to find data in (eg how many times do you see the same question/statement being made in a thread cos people don't read the full thread 1st, which you can't blame them for if there are 10s of pages)

Instead, you come to a specific site to find a venue by location (wherever you're going on holiday/work) and then get loads more structured info.

Just my opinion mind. I'm essentially in here to see if there is enough interest.

And what if the site provided said links to social media to verify, and also allowed Bears to maintain the site by themselves?
I built this very thing a few years ago where you could search by postcode. Unfortunately that got expensive to run and I had to bin it.

On that point. Anyone know a decent pub in Salou to watch the Blackpool friendly? Never been before.

The premise remains the same really.

A user sees a bar on the site, clicks the link to their social media, it's not been updated for X months. The user then starts a thread on FF or Tweets a prominent Rangers Twitter user to make sure it's still open, making the first two steps of the process pointless.

Bluenosebars served its purpose in the Web 1.0 days and I used it myself, but it fell into disuse for a reason. You mentioned that other bears could go in and update it, but ultimately that's what they are doing on here informally, the difference being that FF has additional drivers of traffic so a much bigger audience.

Not really. The website serves as a directory for bears going abroad to find out if there's anywhere in their destination where they can watch a game.

Once they've seen the bar/bars listed, then I'm sure - with the way the internet works now - due dillince would be carried out by the travelling Rangers fans to ensure the bar is still open and specifically open the day of the game they intend to watch.

Does anyone know about what happened to BlueNoseBars?

Thread 'Bluenosebars.net' https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/bluenosebars-net.104970/

I see there's a Bars for Bears FB page, but does anyone use this as a resource? If not, why not?
It was me that started & ran Blue Nose Bars, reality is, social media over took things, and I didn't have the time, to do a Facebook/Twitter page as well, so I called it a day. (Hopefully some, found it useful over the years)

I see there's Bears for Bars on Facebook now, I've no idea who runs it, but good luck to them, it'll be a useful resource.

It was me that started & ran Blue Nose Bars, reality is, social media over took things, and I didn't have the time, to do a Facebook/Twitter page as well, so I called it a day. (Hopefully some, found it useful over the years)

I see there's Bears for Bars on Facebook now, I've no idea who runs it, but good luck to them, it'll be a useful resource.
Thanks Enclosure Blue for both the reply and the site itself.

Were you adding all new venues yourself? (Hence the no time?).

Yeah, I seen the Bars for Bears FB page, thanks. I just feel like it suffers from the same limitations as a thread on here, that it's not easy to find what you're after.

Do you still have all the entries?

Well, there's kind of been separate posts over the years. In my opinion, threads are great for ongoing discussion but they are not good to find data in (eg how many times do you see the same question/statement being made in a thread cos people don't read the full thread 1st, which you can't blame them for if there are 10s of pages)

Instead, you come to a specific site to find a venue by location (wherever you're going on holiday/work) and then get loads more structured info.

Just my opinion mind. I'm essentially in here to see if there is enough interest.

Was thinking more like the transfer thread where the first post was updated with all the data.

Not really. The website serves as a directory for bears going abroad to find out if there's anywhere in their destination where they can watch a game.

Once they've seen the bar/bars listed, then I'm sure - with the way the internet works now - due dillince would be carried out by the travelling Rangers fans to ensure the bar is still open and specifically open the day of the game they intend to watch.

Due diligence? Which would involve them posting on FF I presume?

So instead of doing what they do now, and posting "any Rangers' bars in Tenerife for the Motherwell game this week?" right away, they'll first check this new website and then post "is Blue Bear bar in Tenerife open for the Motherwell game this week?"

What motivation does the end user have to do it the way you're proposing as opposed to just continue the way they're doing it now and going straight to crowd sourcing it?

Edit: the guy who created the only successful example of this has now confirmed he gave up on it as "social media took over".

Yeah wsb&warmy, this is what I'm thinking.

If we give Bears the tools to verify and update, and comment/review it might keep the momentum going

Helped me out more than once mate. Thanks.

Due diligence? Which would involve them posting on FF I presume?

So instead of doing what they do now, and posting "any Rangers' bars in Tenerife for the Motherwell game this week?" right away, they'll first check this new website and then post "is Blue Bear bar in Tenerife open for the Motherwell game this week?"

What motivation does the end user have to do it the way you're proposing as opposed to just continue the way they're doing it now and going straight to crowd sourcing it?
Kowloon72 is not a fan then!

All fair points, but I think if it's made interactive, there might be more of a chance of it being self sustaining

Kowloon72 is not a fan then!

All fair points, but I think if it's made interactive, there might be more of a chance of it being self sustaining

Not the case, bro. Sincerely hope you're bumping this thread in three years and I'm eating humble pie. I just can't get past the fact it's adding an extra step that social media ultimately removed.

Thanks Enclosure Blue for both the reply and the site itself.

Were you adding all new venues yourself? (Hence the no time?).

Yeah, I seen the Bars for Bears FB page, thanks. I just feel like it suffers from the same limitations as a thread on here, that it's not easy to find what you're after.

Do you still have all the entries?
Possibly still have the info stored somewhere, tbh,it's been that long, I'm not sure & i dare say a lot of out of date information.

Yes, It was me, myself & I, I paid for hosting the site. (So it actually cost me money, albeit, not a lot), day to day life got in the way. (As well as Social Media coming to the fore)

Not the case, bro. Sincerely hope you're bumping this thread in three years and I'm eating humble pie. I just can't get past the fact it's adding an extra step that social media ultimately removed.
Sure, I'm only pulling your leg man. And I appreciate the feedback. I'm seriously considering these challenges already and the fact you've highlighted this one isn't lost on me.

I'd love to use people's FF login to allow people to single sign on to the site (no need for registration & if already authenticated to FF, no need to do again) but I don't think this board software will support that. And even if it were technically possible @mdingwall might not allow it either!

Possibly still have the info stored somewhere, tbh,it's been that long, I'm not sure & i dare say a lot of out of date information.

Yes, It was me, myself & I, I paid for hosting the site. (So it actually cost me money, albeit, not a lot), day to day life got in the way. (As well as Social Media coming to the fore)
I get all that, and feel your pain, I really do. Initially, I think the fees would be minimal, and I'm looking to reduce them to almost zero. If not, and if popular, I'd look for sponsorship

In terms of the admin of maintaining the data, I was looking to do it initially, and then build out functionality to allow Bears to help contribute, possibly with incentives to do so.

All ideas at this point and it could go the same way as yours.

I appreciate all the feedback man, thanks

I get all that, and feel your pain, I really do. Initially, I think the fees would be minimal, and I'm looking to reduce them to almost zero. If not, and if popular, I'd look for sponsorship

In terms of the admin of maintaining the data, I was looking to do it initially, and then build out functionality to allow Bears to help contribute, possibly with incentives to do so.

I've not got any experience in this, but couldn't Admin put a link sticky on the Bear Pit, then lock it. Anyone looking for a location is then hitting your Site mate?

Some of the requests on those sites are hilarious.

"Can anyone recommend a Rangers bar in Iran please?"
Aye, there's a few Rangers bars to choose from over there!

"Visiting the moon next month, anyone recommend a Gers bar that serves food and will be showing our game against Livi?".
"Aye, contact Neil Armstrong at the Lunar Loyal RSC, he'll sort ye out".

Found the old database. In 2 years I had 55 bars added across the world with 150 registered users.

Fees could never be zero, not to build it in a way that makes it useful to anyone certainly.

Found the old database. In 2 years I had 55 bars added across the world with 150 registered users.

Fees could never be zero, not to build it in a way that makes it useful to anyone certainly.
Ah, magical number 55. 150 registered users is pretty good. Was the postcode service you mentioned the thing that was costing you money on top of the hosting costs?

I've not got any experience in this, but couldn't Admin put a link sticky on the Bear Pit, then lock it. Anyone looking for a location is then hitting your Site mate?
I'd like to do this in order to start building up the knowledge base yeah. I'm still just trying to gauge interest and whether it's viable.

Ah, magical number 55. 150 registered users is pretty good. Was the postcode service you mentioned the thing that was costing you money on top of the hosting costs?
Yeah, I was really using it as a vehicle for another Gers product I have.

Postcode service did the long and lat lookup and then there was a search tool that gave you proximity to your area via geolocation.

What's the other product or of interest Rangerscoverboy?
Personalised information about Gers things that happened on any date you give, mainly for birthdays.

It's on hiatus until I can come to an agreement with the club on brand rights and marketing strategy as well as update a chunk of the data I have.

Back