Board Being Influenced To Hire A British Manager

der_hammer10

Of the names bandied about, it's getting more probable that our next manager will be British. I don't have a problem with that as long as all candidates of whatever nationality are being considered based on skill and experience.

However, the media narrative, driven by ex players particularly, is that we need to go British. Which is bullshit. It's crackers that on this board people have to even argue things like: "Miller would accept working with MP'H..." and the likes.

This is why the whole "one Kenny Miller" chant from the weekend doesn't sit well with me.

I think the general feeling in the support is that Miller influenced negative feeling towards the previous manager (Although I accept Pedro isn't totally blameless, two sides to every story etc). In all likelihood however, this could happen again. Yet Miller scores two goals and all is forgiven??

If we "settle" for a British Manager in a bid to appease the dressing room, or to stop what happened under Pedro and Le Guen before him, then as a club we are turning a blind eye to massive cultural and social issues that will majorly hampers us going forward.

Solely going for a British Manager to me reflects a desire for short term over long term success. Some people crave that, but when we are inproving the clubs overall infrastructure, then to me that should go hand in hand with driving the first team forward to long term success.

The Board shouldn't feel the pressure to go British in the hope things get better, and then we can maybe think about a foreigner again when we are more solid.

Just seek out the best man for the job. Nationality and experience of the club should barely come into it.

Of the names bandied about, it's getting more probable that our next manager will be British. I don't have a problem with that as long as all candidates of whatever nationality are being considered based on skill and experience.

However, the media narrative, driven by ex players particularly, is that we need to go British. Which is bullshit. It's crackers that on this board people have to even argue things like: "Miller would accept working with MP'H..." and the likes.

This is why the whole "one Kenny Miller" chant from the weekend doesn't sit well with me.

I think the general feeling in the support is that Miller influenced negative feeling towards the previous manager (Although I accept Pedro isn't totally blameless, two sides to every story etc). In all likelihood however, this could happen again. Yet Miller scores two goals and all is forgiven??

If we "settle" for a British Manager in a bid to appease the dressing room, or to stop what happened under Pedro and Le Guen before him, then as a club we are turning a blind eye to massive cultural and social issues that will majorly hampers us going forward.

Solely going for a British Manager to me reflects a desire for short term over long term success. Some people crave that, but when we are inproving the clubs overall infrastructure, then to me that should go hand in hand with driving the first team forward to long term success.

The Board shouldn't feel the pressure to go British in the hope things get better, and then we can maybe think about a foreigner again when we are more solid.

Just seek out the best man for the job. Nationality and experience of the club should barely come into it.
Despite all the names being branded about, I don't think we're solely looking at British manager. The media are going with that and some posters on here have jumped on the bandwagon and think cause Pedro was a foreigner we won't go down that route again this time. Like I've said before, nobody really has a clue, it's all guessing from some people to try and appear they know. We will find out soon.

In my opinion you interviewe and appoint the best candidate you can afford the narrative from media and ex players should be ignored, whether the board have the balls to do so is another matter.
You mention short termism which unfortunately is the way clubs work , in general, and football fans are not blessed with the greatest of patience especially ours.

its a farce, we had 3 foreign managers in our entire history, 2 didnt work but that should not stop us because of what the media say, if the man knows what he is doing it doesnt matter where he comes from.

totally agree. It should be the best fit for the role regardless where they have been born.

After the Progres debacle, I find it more worrying that the club seem so badly prepared with their successor planning generally. Let's face it, Pedro was a dead man walking from that night yet we don't appear to have a plan in place to replace him.

Agree with this. We should always have a contingency plan in place regardless of how the manager is performing. The DOF should have a list of potential managers ready incase we need to sack the current manager or they leave of their own accord. The same should apply to all playing positions also.

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Kenny Miller was anti foreign manager as opposed to anti Pedro.

I've said on a good few threads that I couldn't care less where the new manager comes from so long as he is capable of taking us to the next level. I do understand the boards thinking in going British to be honest, but only so long as they are 100% sure in their appointment and it's not a rush job.

I get the feeling a British manager is being sought to avoid the systematic problems and institutional failures spoken of by AJ. Would prefer it if the root cause of these failures was found and fixed. Rather than restricting, even prejudicing, our manger options.

I don't think we can judge every foreign manager in the same way as Caixinha. By that I mean, there would automatically be a division between the Scottish players and the foreign players if we get a foreign manager in. Pedro completely lost the plot. From his public slating of MOH, saying he takes the blame for the semi final defeat then the next day calling all the players an embarrassment and then telling players who aren't in the squad to stay away from Ibrox. I'm confident if we get a foreign manager in who actually has a decent CV unlike Caixinha, there will not be a division. Unfortunately, looking at the reaction of fans to a foreign manager, a lot have this attitude of "nah look at Le Guen, we can't risk it" which is ridiculous. You wouldn't compare a British manager to Warburton or McCoist.

I can't shake off the feeling that Moyes might end up our new gaffer. Although he's a dud he's a high profile name and there's been almost no chatter. Like it's too quiet. I hope I'm just being paranoid.

After the Progres debacle, I find it more worrying that the club seem so badly prepared with their successor planning generally. Let's face it, Pedro was a dead man walking from that night yet we don't appear to have a plan in place to replace him.

No plan? I agree we should have a shortlist of potential Rangers Managers ready and under constant review. In fact, I suspect we probably do. It doesn’t mean that we have to rush in and appoint someone immediately, especially with an international break coming up. Those on the list will form part of the ‘short’ shortlist. However, it also makes sense to see who applies for/expresses interest in the job in case a viable candidate comes from out of left field. It may be that one of those also makes the ‘short’ shortlist. Then it’s interview and select.

That appears to be our ‘plan’ and I see no problem with it.

Doesn’t matter where the next manager comes from, nationality means nothing.

Warburton vs Caixinha proves that.

It boils down to quality, mentality, ability...

I don't think we can judge every foreign manager in the same way as Caixinha. By that I mean, there would automatically be a division between the Scottish players and the foreign players if we get a foreign manager in. Pedro completely lost the plot. From his public slating of MOH, saying he takes the blame for the semi final defeat then the next day calling all the players an embarrassment and then telling players who aren't in the squad to stay away from Ibrox. I'm confident if we get a foreign manager in who actually has a decent CV unlike Caixinha, there will not be a division. Unfortunately, looking at the reaction of fans to a foreign manager, a lot have this attitude of "nah look at Le Guen, we can't risk it" which is ridiculous. You wouldn't compare a British manager to Warburton or McCoist.

He didnt nothing wrong with the MOH quotes for me. As for the semi final he did make the comment about the players but you are also forgetting the players themselves were quoted as saying they were an embarrassment.

He didnt nothing wrong with the MOH quotes for me. As for the semi final he did make the comment about the players but you are also forgetting the players themselves were quoted as saying they were an embarrassment.
You see nothing wrong with a manager publicly saying "it doesn't matter what MOH does at St Johnstone, he's not a player we want. He's not the type of character we need at the club" or words to those effect? I'm not a MOH fan but some things you don't say publicly.

Can see your point, but with regard to Kemmy Miller, I assume Murty knows exactly what went on and not only did he think it was appropriate to recall him to the team, but to also make him captain. If Miller was bang out of order in his dealings with Pedro, I'm just not sure that would have happened.

You see nothing wrong with a manager publicly saying "it doesn't matter what MOH does at St Johnstone, he's not a player we want. He's not the type of character we need at the club" or words to those effect? I'm not a MOH fan but some things you don't say publicly.
Nope.

He didn't turn up for an u-20's match after Pedro had specifically asked him to play in it.

Then he tried to play daft and say he forgot.

We don't pay MOH a wage so that he can turn up for work when he feels like it.

Pedro might not have got everything right but booting that charlatan out of the club was spot on.

Kenny Millers toxic and needs removed regardless of his two goals.

Kenny Miller has always been about Kenny Miller.

The chant made my skin crawl

Totally agree with the OP.

We shouldn't be put off foreign managers, especially if we want to do anything in Europe next season.

Before we appointed Pedro i wanted us to go for Ivan Jovanovic who took Apoel to a champions league quarter final. Preud'hommes record is also very good. Are we to discount them simply because of their nationalities?

Personally i think the board are making a mistake if we appoint a british manager but i'll support whoever they appoint

Any well run club will have an idea of who will replace a manager/player/physio etc. I expect we are in that position.
You can't appoint someone immediately. I have no doubts we have spoken to McInnes's agent to get an idea of salary, his team, ideas of player recruitment etc. We then have to negotiate with his club etc.

we aren't settling

The board have decided, as one, that we go British this time. No more to it.

Since Le Guen, we've gone through 4 managers - only one was genuinely successful (Walter) and only one of the three underperformers was foreign...

I think nationality being any kind of priority for the next candidate is a massive red herring in all honesty.

A proven grasp of the British/Scottish game preferable? Absolutely, but actually being British? Couldn't give a fck.

What member of the board? I must have missed that.

They didn't give the name for obvious reasons, is it hard to understand when they say club sources?
White said on the radio he'd heard from a member of the board that it would be British as well.

Folk can keep their head in the sand on this, but we will have a British manager and it will probably end up being McInnes.

its a farce, we had 3 foreign managers in our entire history, 2 didnt work but that should not stop us because of what the media say, if the man knows what he is doing it doesnt matter where he comes from.

Exactly.

The board should be influenced by nobody on their decision aside from expert advice.

They didn't give the name for obvious reasons, is it hard to understand when they say club sources?
White said on the radio he'd heard from a member of the board that it would be British as well.

Folk can keep their head in the sand on this, but we will have a British manager and it will probably end up being McInnes.
The same White that said celtic are a global club and Rangers aren't? The same dickhead that mouths of about Celtic having great fans and Rangers are basically bigots? The same Jim White that said he'd be wearing a Celtic scarf in support for them? That same slimy bastard? He is jumping on the media bandwagon. If he did get it from a board memeber, he'd have said he got his info from a board member. You said he said he heard. That is two things... If you know for sure information from the board you say it's from.the board, it's concrete. You don't say , "I heard" that's implying rumour. He knows nothing. Unless you can link me to this radio thing so I can listen for myself to get the gist of what he is claiming?

KM scores 2 goal to put us in front after going a goal down away to Hearts.
The fans (rightly so) chant his name and this 'made your skin crawl'? o_O

Can I ask were you at the game?

Miller will be gone by the end of the season if not in January. I still can’t believe he’s been allowed back after his agents comments. Thanks for your time Kenny but it’s time to leave for everyone’s benefit.

If you think a manager might struggle to settle in then it obviously has to be taken into consideration but it should only have a very low weighting in the decision.
The ability to get a group of players to play winning football is the main prerequisite.

Miller will be gone by the end of the season if not in January. I still can’t believe he’s been allowed back after his agents comments. Thanks for your time Kenny but it’s time to leave for everyone’s benefit.

He'll end up staying in his role as coach.

Back