Bob McPhail ...Rangers News..November 17th 1971

Saltcoatsblu

2nghems.jpg

I worked for his family business years ago. Met him once or twice weekly. A real gent with some amazing stories of the old days. Always absolutely immaculately dressed.

His Grandson is a good friend of mine and also an excellent footballer, no wonder with those genes!

From a Rangers legends article:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
BOB McPHAIL

THE RANGERS YEARS: 1927-1940.

APPEARANCES: 408

SHOW US YOUR MEDALS: Nine League titles, six Scottish Cups.

CAREER HIGHLIGHT: Scoring twice for Scotland in a 3-1 win over England in front of a crowd of 149,547 at Hampden in 1937.

SO WHAT MAKES YOU A LEGEND? Before Super Ally there was Super Boab.

Bob McPhail scored a staggering 261 goals in 408 games. His record of 230 league goals stood for over 50 years until Ally McCoist broke it in 1997.

But the inside forward from Barrhead holds another record that may never be broken. He won the Scottish Cup on seven occasions, six times with Gers. Only Jimmy McMenemy and Billy McNeill of Celtic can match that.

McPhail scored 74 goals in 109 matches at Airdrie and helped them win the Scottish Cup in 1924 aged just 18.

Lightning-fast, industrious and with a intuitive understanding of where the goal was, in his first season Gers landed the League and Scottish Cup double.

He struck up a formidable partnership with Alan Morton as the Ibrox side won the title in eight of the following 10 seasons.

After hanging up his boots in 1940, McPhail coached the reserve team at Ibrox for nearly 50 years. took over as manager.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

An unbelievable striker in his day, the likes of which the Bears back then surely thought they would never see the likes of again, until...
https://twitter.com/rangersfc/status/555076902432813057

Bob McPhail has strangely always seemed to me to be one of our legends that doesn't get talked about as much as others, so it's nice to see a post about him! :D

Back