Bobby Hume, Rangers 1959 - 62

Ubik

Just discovered that Bobby Hulme is a relative of Mrs Ubik. Going by wiki he played 21 games for us including the first leg of the Cup WInners Cup tie against Fiorentina in 1961.

I know its a long shot but has anyone got any further info or any details on him know matter how pointless it may seem.

cheers

Just discovered that Bobby Hulme is a relative of Mrs Ubik. Going by wiki he played 21 games for us including the first leg of the Cup WInners Cup tie against Fiorentina in 1961.

I know its a long shot but has anyone got any further info or any details on him know matter how pointless it may seem.

cheers
ed

Bobby Hume played 23 games for us in all competitions, scored 3 goals. Sold to Middlesbrough. Went to South Africa where he played alongside his brother Ronnie. Sadly he was murdered there. (From the 'Player By Player' book.)

rcan3HQ.jpg

His debut game.

Just checked my info. Mixed Bobby up with Craig Watson. Bobby played with Highlands Park FC in S. Africa

BOBBY HUME
Born: Kirkintillochd.o.b: 18 March 1941
Died : 1997
Position:Left Wing
TeamsSeasonsApps.Gls.
Source : Kirkintilloch Rob Roy
Rangers59-62173
Middlesbrough62-63195
Aberdeen63-65334
Alloa Athletic64-6531
to Highlands Park (S. Africa)
Totals7213

Last edited:
29th March 1997Bobby Hume

THE former Rangers winger, Bobby Hume, has been shot dead near his home in Johannesburg. Hume, aged 56, emigrated to South Africa after spells of playing with Middlesbrough (1962-63) and Aberdeen (1963-65). He was the victim of a car hijacking on a day when 23 other people were also killed in similar incidents in the South African city.
Hume, who came from the Hyndland area of Glasgow, played for Rangers between 1959 and 1962, after signing from the Junior club, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy. He had continued to play professional football in South Africa, his last club being Highlands Park in Johannesburg. He joined his brother Ronnie there to help the team win, in 1966, their fifth South African league title in seven years.

Former Rangers captain John Greig recalled Bobby Hume's time at Ibrox yesterday: ''He played 23 games in the first team, and scored three goals.'' Hume was already at Ibrox when Greig joined the club and he remembers him as a ''quiet, unassuming type of lad''. He was also evidently one of the first players to wear contact lenses on the pitch.

The left winger - who was rather small and lightweight - would probably would probably have played more for the first team, says Greig, but it was a successful one at the time and already had an international winger in David Wilson.
''He was an excellent footballer but in those days it was very difficult to break into the first team and he eventually moved on.''
The highlight of Hume's time with Rangers was probably to play in the first leg of the 1961 Cup Winners' Cup final against the Italian team Fiorentina; Rangers lost 2:0.
Footballers are generally judged by their ability, says Greig, but he prefers to judge them as people and Hume was ''a hell of a nice guy''.

There's a great old dressing room pic
Where all the greats of the era are gathered

Symon is in the foreground giving advice to young bobby

Bobby was murdered in a car jacking in RSA

Last edited:
My understanding was he was very close friends of Richard Gough's parents especially Charlie, Richard,s father.
He was the manager of highlands park for a while, I don't know if Bobby played under him or not ?
It was a fairly decent league at that time although apartheid was still in force & the black teams had their own league & only met up now and again
It's a terrible way to have your life taken from you in that manner, I've had a few friends who were highjack in SA & they were lucky enough to survive.
But Bobby Hume was one of us & he done what most of us could only dream of

Seen him play but was young boy,just remember someone asking a question on supporters bus a few years back and igot the answer Bobby hulme guy was gobbedsmacked

Trying to guess all the players in that photo,Caldow on the table being treated by Davie Kinnear,George Niven sitting on the bench,not sure about the player with his right leg up on bench,Harry Davis with towel round his neck,Ian McMillan and Alex Scott standing on bench,Jimmy Millar scratching his haw maws,Davy Wilson holding ball and I think the player farthest away in the corner is Billy Stevenson.
Can anyone confirm them all?

Trying to guess all the players in that photo,Caldow on the table being treated by Davie Kinnear,George Niven sitting on the bench,not sure about the player with his right leg up on bench,Harry Davis with towel round his neck,Ian McMillan and Alex Scott standing on bench,Jimmy Millar scratching his haw maws,Davy Wilson holding ball and I think the player farthest away in the corner is Billy Stevenson.
The player with his right foot on the bench was possibly Johnnie Little

I watched a reserve League Cup
Semi Final in the late 50s or early 60s

Forward line was

Henderson Willoughby Forrest ( can’t remember who was 10 ) Hume

cheers

cheers
Pretty good Left winger.Round about when Davy Wilson was winding down his Rangers career,if I remember correctly.

Strictly speaking it was Orjan Persson who “ousted” Davie Wilson.

Memory lane...can’t agree with you TMC. Bud broke into the team in 66 and Wee Davy lost his place to him. Davy moved to Dundee Utd the same season Persson came to Ibrox.

3 great players with their own styles, loved them all !

Memory lane...can’t agree with you TMC. Bud broke into the team in 66 and Wee Davy lost his place to him. Davy moved to Dundee Utd the same season Persson came to Ibrox.

3 great players with their own styles, loved them all !
I remember it slightly different. Willie Johnston broke into the first team in 1965 and while he played in the no. 11 shirt, Davie Wilson wore the no. 7 shirt as Willie Henderson had bunion problems and was out for a large part of that season. Willie Henderson returned at the start of 1965-66 and Davie Wilson only played intermittently until the end of the season when we played all three in the same team in the Kai Johansen Cup Final victory. Willie Johnston certainly played in the no. 10 shirt towards the end of that season although whether it was in the role of a classical inside left is open to debate.

The two Smiths (Davie and Alex) arrived at the start of 66-67. Alex took the inside left position, Willie Johnston went to outside left and Davie Wilson dropped out only to return when Willie Johnston broke his ankle at Berwick.

Davie Wilson, as you said, moved to Tannadice at the same time as Orjan Persson moved to Ibrox. I can’t remember if the deal was Davie Wilson plus cash. Persson played more as the outside left in 67-68 with Willie Johnston moving back to inside left.

It was only after the 68-69 debacle in the Cup Final that Willie Johnston reverted back to being our first choice outside left.

I always felt that we sold Davie Wilson before we should have. Obviously Scot Symon wanted Orjan Persson at Ibrox so Davie was sold. A sad end to a great servant for The Rangers.

I went to Thorwood primary school in the early sixties and he must have been an ex pupil as he visited the school and signed autographs in the playground.my uncle who went to Hamilton crescent said he played in the same team as him.

When Hume broke into the team '59/60 at outside left, Davie Wilson switched to number 10 inside left in place of Sammy Baird.
They played in these positions for 11 games undefeated, Bobby Hume scoring 3 times.
During that period he played in the New Year game a 0-1 win.
He also played in 3 Scottish Cup wins during this period.

I remember it slightly different. Willie Johnston broke into the first team in 1965 and while he played in the no. 11 shirt, Davie Wilson wore the no. 7 shirt as Willie Henderson had bunion problems and was out for a large part of that season. Willie Henderson returned at the start of 1965-66 and Davie Wilson only played intermittently until the end of the season when we played all three in the same team in the Kai Johansen Cup Final victory. Willie Johnston certainly played in the no. 10 shirt towards the end of that season although whether it was in the role of a classical inside left is open to debate.

The two Smiths (Davie and Alex) arrived at the start of 66-67. Alex took the inside left position, Willie Johnston went to outside left and Davie Wilson dropped out only to return when Willie Johnston broke his ankle at Berwick.

Davie Wilson, as you said, moved to Tannadice at the same time as Orjan Persson moved to Ibrox. I can’t remember if the deal was Davie Wilson plus cash. Persson played more as the outside left in 67-68 with Willie Johnston moving back to inside left.

It was only after the 68-69 debacle in the Cup Final that Willie Johnston reverted back to being our first choice outside left.

I always felt that we sold Davie Wilson before we should have. Obviously Scot Symon wanted Orjan Persson at Ibrox so Davie was sold. A sad end to a great servant for The Rangers.

Yip, you’re right, think Davy was only 28 when we sold him. Agree with your recollection on Bud. I always lived when he played inside.
What would he be worth today?

Ok I'll give my input on this
As I was told the same line up seperately by both Harold and Davy when I showed them the photo

Hume
Symon
Niven
Shearer
McMillan
Davis
Scott
Millar
Stevenson
Wilson
Kinnear
Caldow

Both Harry and Davy said that the guy with the foot up was Bobby because of the thigh size and hair colour

However it was the one player they pondered over longest

As I was told the same line up seperately by both Harold and Davy when I showed them the photo

Hume
Symon
Niven
Shearer
McMillan
Davis
Scott
Millar
Stevenson
Wilson
Kinnear
Caldow

Both Harry and Davy said that the guy with the foot up was Bobby because of the thigh size and hair colour

So it's the same players that I thought it was,I did think it might have been Shearer as well with the thighs like tree trunks but there isn't a great amount of facial profile to have said it with confidence.

Hume
Symon
Niven
Shearer
McMillan
Davis
Scott
Millar
Stevenson
Wilson
Kinnear
Caldow

RSEA, that classic photo was part of a four or five page feature on Rangers from a circa 1960 magazine on athletics and football i have the whole article in a cuttings collection in the loft. I think the article was written by John Rafferty and was critical of Rangers 'power play' at that time. The players weren't named in the caption for the photo. The player with his foot on the bench is definately Johnny Little and the player Scot Symon is talking to is George Duncan and not Bobby Hume. George Duncan passed away aged 75 after suffering a brain tumour in 2012, this was only a few months after George and his wife had been attacked by a swarm of wasp in Chelmsford, as a result of which his wife suffered a heart attack and died. The rest of the players in the pic are as you named.

RSEA, that classic photo was part of a four or five page feature on Rangers from a circa 1960 magazine on athletics and football i have the whole article in a cuttings collection in the loft. I think the article was written by John Rafferty and was critical of Rangers 'power play' at that time. The players weren't named in the caption for the photo. The player with his foot on the bench is definately Johnny Little and the player Scot Symon is talking to is George Duncan and not Bobby Hume. George Duncan passed away aged 75 after suffering a brain tumour in 2012, this was only a few months after George and his wife had been attacked by a swarm of wasp in Chelmsford, as a result of which his wife suffered a heart attack and died. The rest of the players in the pic are as you named.
Terrific information

Hello I came across the post and I was just curious to know who Mrs Ubik is as I am related to Bobby Hume and I haven’t met any other relatives however I do know quite a bit of my family tree.
Thanks

I've often looked at that photo and tried to pick out the players by elimination.

Nearly every game George Duncan played for Rangers Johnny Hubbard was on the other wing. Ian McColl was usually right-half. If Ian McMillan is the player with his hands on his head then that dates the picture to October 1958 or later. As far as I can make out, George Duncan played only two matches alongside the Wee Prime Minister - Eric Caldow didn't play in one and Johnny Hubbard played in the other.

There is one missing player, right enough.

That's a great photo , thanks for posting and my dad rated Bobby but unfortunately for him
Davie Wilson was an exceptional winter.

Back