Bobby Moore

Weesam

Wer
Strange how things work out in life,I’m Bobby Moore lived in Coventry in 66.Tough for a wee Glesga guy who bet against England every game,cost me a fortune.Played football in Derby when I moved there and guess what my strip number was always 6,just one of those quirks of fate.
Were you good at shoplifting ha ha

carlosapicella

There used to be a saying about Cup-winning teams having better class than League-winning teams . He won three cups in consecutive years, probably at his pure peak mid-60s.
Only certain types of teams used to win the Cup-Winners and UEFA cups they were a class apart
Read my two posts mate lol

RMHBear

Mate I've just dug out the book, Bobby Moore, The man in full by Matt Dickinson.
According to the book he spent his last few days at home in London.
As you can no doubt tell, I was a massive fan.
Glad it’s resolved mate,apologies if I muddied the waters

I worked at the Western in the early nineties and knew he was in and out for treatment.I was too young to see him playing but remember my old man talking highly of him and recollect wondering what I would say if I bumped into him

Buzz07

Glad it’s resolved mate,apologies if I muddied the waters

I worked at the Western in the early nineties and knew he was in and out for treatment.I was too young to see him playing but remember my old man talking highly of him and recollect wondering what I would say if I bumped into him
Not a problem mate.
It's hard to believe it was all that time ago. I remember going to see West ham not long after and seeing all the floral tributes.
He was the first of the 66 squad to pass away. Even the manager and coach outlived him.

RMHBear

Not a problem mate.
It's hard to believe it was all that time ago. I remember going to see West ham not long after and seeing all the floral tributes.
He was the first of the 66 squad to pass away. Even the manager and coach outlived him.
51 years old ,absolutely tragic

Biniaro11

Good to see a great player getting appreciated for what he was, ahead of his time how he played the position of centre half.

Melbbear

If you had to choose Moore or Beckenbauer for the sweeper role, which one do you pick?
Beckenbaur done it in Germany and at that time Euro football allowed you to come out with the ball made it easier to make his passes. Rangers game at Ibrox evertime he got the ball was shut done not allowed to do that. One of the reasons we beat them that night. Often wondered why teams didn’t do it more often. Bobby done it in the toughest league, at that time it was a fearsome game in English football. Players running at you think of some great players as well. Awe well all about opinn.

Business_Bear

Far too young to remember him playing but I read Harry Redknapps' book and he said Moore was treated terribly after he retired.

Never heard a bad word said about the guy.

Carltonblue

Met him in old Wembley,i had a Rangers polo shirt on and he said him and John Greig were friends,nice man taken far too soon.
In Greig’s first biography, A Captain’s Part, he has a chapter where he gives his opinion on all the members of England’s 1966 team. He is very complimentary about Moore, Wilson, Hurst and Ball. Not so much about George Cohen, Martin Peters and Gordon Banks.

Artful Dodger

I must have got it mixed up, he was treated for his cancer at the Western General in Edinburgh for a while but obviously went home after his stay
He had cancer on three different occasions.1962,91 and 93.I was unaware he was treated up here.Any clip if you watch him with the ball at his feet he I straight backed and head up looking for a pass.It sounds mad but you don’t see many defenders comfortable with a ball at his feet positioning himself like that.

Mickethius

He was a truly wonderful player but not as good as the English media made him out to be. Not as good as Beckenbaur in my humble opinion nor Bobby Charlton.
You can’t compare Charlton and Moore, there is no comparison to be made. Moore restricted The late great Norman Hunter to 28 caps, make no mistake Hunter was world class, it’s just that Moore was better.

Mickethius

In his heyday, only Beckenbauer was a better defender. He’s the sort of player from the past who counters the idea than players today are automatically better. I reckon Moore at his peak would walk into any side in Europe today
If you are one place behind Beckenbauer you ain’t doing too bad.

Mickethius

Far too young to remember him playing but I read Harry Redknapps' book and he said Moore was treated terribly after he retired.

Never heard a bad word said about the guy.
Reading through this thread there are a few barbed comments about a man who is dead and gone. Shameful

The Barcelona Bear

The sweeper role was popular in that era. Players like Moore and beckenbauer would be the last man and build play from the back. We had Dave Smith in that role and Celtic had a boy called George Connolly, there was many an argument about which of those two was better. To be fair it was a good position to play, I think that the modern role of the keeper has probably contrbuted to making the sweeper redundant

senefelder

The sweeper role was popular in that era. Players like Moore and beckenbauer would be the last man and build play from the back. We had Dave Smith in that role and Celtic had a boy called George Connolly, there was many an argument about which of those two was better. To be fair it was a good position to play, I think that the modern role of the keeper has probably contrbuted to making the sweeper redundant
That plus the change to the offside rule. When it was changed a number of years back there was a lot of criticism which you seldom hear now. I'm sure most of us can recall the ''cavalry charge'' out with every defender's hand aloft claiming offside.

Talktalk

He had cancer on three different occasions.1962,91 and 93.I was unaware he was treated up here.Any clip if you watch him with the ball at his feet he I straight backed and head up looking for a pass.It sounds mad but you don’t see many defenders comfortable with a ball at his feet positioning himself like that.
He had his head up looking for a pass not having to look down at the ball as he was in full control of it, few player’s have that skill.

Alex Venters

In his heyday, only Beckenbauer was a better defender. He’s the sort of player from the past who counters the idea than players today are automatically better. I reckon Moore at his peak would walk into any side in Europe today
I think Beckenbuer was a better player than Moore, not a better defender though.
I'm sure that a few years back, some of the Barca bears were having to pay to get in to Ibrox
[/QUO

Scandalous, if true.

carlosapicella

That plus the change to the offside rule. When it was changed a number of years back there was a lot of criticism which you seldom hear now. I'm sure most of us can recall the ''cavalry charge'' out with every defender's hand aloft claiming offside.
Aberdeen and motherwell in those days,at Ibrox,ten red or yellow(amber) jerseys all running out was beautiful to watch but didn't,give good football

Latest posts