Bobby Shearer Medals Auction

I suppose no one knows the circumstances behind the sale ,but I felt very sad viewing that listing. Iconic Rangers skipper and a member of a terrific late 50s/early 60 s team

In a perfect world,those medals should be purchased by the club and put on display in the Trophy Room or hopefully one day a club museum.
I totally agree. There should be no reason why the club couldn’t buy these medals and have them available for everyone to see. The family of Mr. Shearer will have their own reasons for selling and their own memories of the great man. The least the club could do would be to allow future generations to see that bit of history with their own eyes.

Reactions: krs
There are some fantastic medals from one of the best teams the club have ever had. There is a historic medal from the CWC Final 1961. The club surely should be purchasing this.

Some really unique items going under the hammer here; it would be nice to think that the club have an interest in purchasing at least some of them this Friday.

In a perfect world,those medals should be purchased by the club and put on display in the Trophy Room or hopefully one day a club museum.

Unlike the Gough and McPhail collections in the Trophy Room it looks like this would not be a complete set though; the family are hanging onto some of his medals.

I'd agree specific items should be of interest though - in particular the 1961 CWC Final medal. The Club should move for that one.

Long story short, I will be bidding on the 1961 CWC Final medal, if I win I will donate it/ loan it to the club for trophy room on the understanding I can retrieve it when/ if I want it.

Will keep you all updated.

I also have left bids on a few of the cheaper items but I will be keeping if I'm lucky enough to get them.Not close family but a family tie.Old enough to have had a drink with family members and Bobbie and his father a few times.

Long story short, I will be bidding on the 1961 CWC Final medal, if I win I will donate it/ loan it to the club for trophy room on the understanding I can retrieve it when/ if I want it.

We should keep this thread bumped up this week so it doesn't get to a situation where you and potentially another FF member with the same idea of buying and loaning to the Club are bidding against each other.

Club cant buy all medals, when do they say eh sorry dont need yours if lots of ex players families start selling.
In an ideal world we would have a huge museum with space for everything.

I wouldn't mind contributing to a whip round so that we can ensure the medals remained in the families hands provided they remained owned by us, not going to criticise the family as people can face financial hardship for a number of reasons, there's absolutely no shame in it.

Club cant buy all medals, when do they say eh sorry dont need yours if lots of ex players families start selling.

The 1961 CWC Final medal is a bit of a ‘classic’ though. At the end of the day there are only 11 in existence and I’m not sure there’s one on display in the Trophy Room. Could be wrong though.

How much are the medals expected to fetch for his family?

Is it to late to strike a deal with the family?

Could we as a support do one of they Go Fund Me sort of things,and purchase them all?

Medals take up very little space. Could be mounted in a frame with a pic and bio of the player. Not every players medals that come up for sale should be bought but a legend like Shearers is a no brainer for Rangers to bring home.

Is this auction being held in an auction house or just on line?
If it’s attendance, can someone let me know if they’re going.

Great collection of medals.
Bobby was a Rangers great.
It is a shame if these medals don't feature as a set in a Rangers museum one day.

Please do update this buddy. I’ve got a medal won by our own Jimmy Gordon in 1916 and it just lies in a safe these days. The club would be welcome to display it if it saw fit.

The 1961 CWC Final medal is a bit of a ‘classic’ though. At the end of the day there are only 11 in existence and I’m not sure there’s one on display in the Trophy Room. Could be wrong though.

Harold Davis medal collection is in the trophy room mate.
Which has that medal.
Also Alex Scott's medal from 1961 final is in the blue room.

Harold Davis medal collection is in the trophy room mate.
Which has that medal.
Also Alex Scott's medal from 1961 final is in the blue room.

Ah, thanks mate. Wasn’t aware of that - and I only did the tour last Christmas.:oops: Clearly over-awed by the whole thing LOL. Only took photos of McPhail’s and Gough’s.

Im actually distantly related to the great man - though only met him once. And i dont know the circumstances behind this, but at the end of the day.. it is his (closer, immediate) family's decision to make. But it would be great if the club got them, or even a wealthy rangers fan bought them and loaned them to the club

I am 99% sure that the Glasgow Cup Medal won by Alfie Conn in 1971 was won at Ibrox and I was in the crowd.

If my day at the Perth Races today had been a bit more successful would have loved to been able to bid.

However a fool and his money........

Auction is coming to an end, sadly I didn't win his 1961 CWC Final medal, no idea who won, it was a buyer in the room. However, I did win one of his other medals.

I will be in contact with the club and donating it to them for display in the trophy room on the proviso I can get it back anytime.

Any idea who I can contact to arrange this?

Auction is coming to an end, sadly I didn't win his 1961 CWC Final medal, no idea who won, it was a buyer in the room. However, I did win one of his other medals.

I will be in contact with the club and donating it to them for display in the trophy room on the proviso I can get it back anytime.

Well done on your winning bid. Perhaps SLO would be a good starting point?

That is a splendid thing to do. Mr. Shearer’s family benefit and due to your selflessness the wider Rangers family will benefit as well. Very well done.

Well played mate. These bits of Rangers history should be kept within the Rangers family.

There should have been a crowd funding made for this and all of his collection should have been on view in the trophy room at Ibrox.

Superb mate.

I hope the 1961 CWC medal finds its way back to the club. It is a special medal in our history. As were the treble winning medals. One of our greatest ever teams.

Congratulations, a bit jealous here. As for contact at the club, possibly David Mason, the official club historian or maybe the SLO could point you in the right direction.

Thanks everyone. I’ve been in contact with David Mason and he’s going to arrange it with Stewart Robertson. The medal will be in the trophy room soon.

If anyone knows the family of Bobby Shearer can they pass this onto them please.
Well done sir!

Thanks everyone. I’ve been in contact with David Mason and he’s going to arrange it with Stewart Robertson. The medal will be in the trophy room soon.

If anyone knows the family of Bobby Shearer can they pass this onto them please.
Cap doffed, that`s a superb gesture @ krs

I also have left bids on a few of the cheaper items but I will be keeping if I'm lucky enough to get them.Not close family but a family tie.Old enough to have had a drink with family members and Bobbie and his father a few times.

Never got any of the medals I left bids for.I wasn't around online for the auction so not even sure of the prices they went for.

Absolutely superb Sir.
You are indeed a fine gentleman for such a selfless gesture.
I'm sure the Shearer Family and indeed Rangers will be delighted by your contribution.
Well played!

Can I ask which medal you successfully bid on mate? If you don’t want to say I won’t be offended.;):)

Back