Bohemians vs Rangers 1984

BF4_Loyal

Found this clip on YouTube of the match. It was 2 years before I was born but was talking to a few of the older hands in the bar yesterday about this game and they said it was complete carnage from start to finish. They said worst was the buses coming back up through dunalk and newry

Anyone on here at the game that can add their own experiences. Must have been some buzz on the way down and up again into enemy territory at the height of the roubles here

I was there,travelled over on the dundee Loyal bus and our bus was one of the few who made it back to larne with windows intact.i remember chasing the gardai out of the rangers end,they got a complete doing that night so much so that one of the plain clothed officers drew his weapon and was threatening to shoot,his hands were shaking like a leaf.

Number_Eight recollection of Bohemians away split over 2 posts

If we go to Dublin

Watch Out, Chaps - Bandits At Six O`Clock

This year will mark the twenty-fifth anniversary of Rangers' trip to Dublin to play Bohemians, and as the events surrounding this match have often aroused much curiosity, particularly in younger Rangers supporters, I`m going to attempt to give you a flavour of the day.

I was keen to attend this fixture. It was an affordable trip to a European away game, and there was no need to be away from work for too long. I spoke to a pal of mine about this excursion, a regular buddy for Rangers away games, and he too was eager to head for Dublin.

Arrangements were made to go on a supporters' bus, and on the day of the game my friend and I met up, somewhere in Glasgow, at around 8.00am, and we wandered into the basement of what appeared to be an unused building. We were rather bemused to see a largish bar going full-swing with people milling around and drinking as though it was eight o' clock in the evening. We made contact with the guys who had organised the trip and had a seat near the bar. Neither of us had a drink, or if we did, it was a soft drink. At this stage it was envisaged that we'd be knocking back a few pints in Dublin, and anyway, firewater at that time of day held little appeal for me.

Within an hour or so, we departed on a bus to Stranraer, and I wrongly assumed we'd be doing the whole journey in this vehicle. On the Ferry there was quite a sing-song, and although my alcohol abstention continued, many of us were enjoying a wee drink or two. Remember, this was a time when "the troubles" in Northern Ireland were high profile so there was an extra bit of tension in the air.

At Larne we boarded another bus, a single-decker Ulsterbus, but it was hardly state-of-the-art. Soon we were off on the second leg of our journey, and we had little doubt that the timing of our arrival in Dublin would allow us a generous spell of over-indulgence.

As many of us had never been across the Irish Sea, it was an education just observing Northern Ireland from the windows of the bus. Curiously, it reminded me of the Scotland of my youth. Strangers to Northern Ireland might like to note that it's a far more affluent place than many of us in the mainland would ever imagine. I once heard that there are more Mercedes and BMWs in Ulster (pro-rata) than in any other part of the UK except London.

As our Ulsterbus meandered around the Ulster countryside, we noted signs to a variety of places, some renowned for atrocities which had taken place there. It transpired that the driver had been instructed to drive around aimlessly and only cross the border at the last minute. We were seeing signs that Belfast was twelve miles away, then eight, six, five, seven, ten and six. We were on an Ulster mystery tour, and only late in the day would we cross the border, just in time to make the match. I hadn't eaten and was thirsty too, but I had to bide my time until an opportunity presented itself.

The border crossing just past Newry delayed us briefly. We had the RUC to pass at the first checkpoint, and then the Guarda(the Irish police) at the second. As the bus pulled away from the Republic's checkpoint, there was a powerful sensation that we were on foreign turf now, and on our own.

After a fairly short time, we entered Dundalk, reputed to be infested with Irish Republicans, and a well-known IRA stronghold. The locals appeared to be interested in us, a Rangers bus in Dundalk was a rarity after all, and the onboard troops launched into some well-known ditties. Some of the locals were making the odd rude sign, but a few of the women were smiling at us. It's quite possible of course, that it was just me they were smiling at!

I actually thought that Dundalk appeared to be a homely wee town with everyone going about their business as one might expect. My thoughts were soon interrupted however, as one of the bus windows was smashed after being struck by a missile thrown by one of the locals. With hindsight, this might not have been such a bad thing. No serious injuries had been sustained, but we were on our guard now.

When we arrived in Dublin it was too late for a pint, even a quick pint, and I noticed an unfriendly area near the foot of a hill in the city where our presence didn`t seem to meet with the approval of some of the locals. If memory serves me well, a cash payment of three Irish punts ensured entry to Dalymount Park (most of us handed over three pounds sterling) and we made our way to the terracing where my mate and I took our places beside a group of Rangers fans, mainly from Ulster it seemed, in an area opposite the main stand.

There was a venomous atmosphere in the place and a real hatred flowing from each side to the other. A variety of incidents occurred which would have been nipped in the bud had the match been properly policed, but the Dublin guarda had no experience of handling high profile volatile football contests, and it showed. Individuals were invading the park at will and being attacked by rival supporters. The police didn`t know how to respond to the pitch invaders, and at least one guy was reputed to have been thrown out of the ground once, only for him to re-invade a second time. The Irish support produced a Union Flag in the midst of the Bohemians end, and tried to set it alight. After several failed attempts, a roar went up as an Irish Tricolour appeared in the Rangers end and was quickly incinerated.

The Rangers goalkeeper, Nicky Walker, spent most of his time thirty yards or so from his own goal-line such was the intensity of the variety of missiles aimed in his direction. In circumstances like this, it was impossible for him to do his job properly. Behind the Rangers end, and from the roof of a block of flats, further missiles were aimed at the Rangers support. Amazingly, there were no serious injuries.

At half-time, my compadre disappeared for some relief and I continued to observe events around the ground. The most serious incident was happening in the Rangers end. The Irish police had decided to charge the Rangers support, but were soon rebuffed. Yet again the police mounted a charge, and once more the Rangers support sent them back down below terracing level to the launching point of their assault. I noticed what appeared to be a railway sleeper being positioned by our supporters near the edge of a wall above the tunnel from where the police had emerged, ready to be dropped on the next police charge. As the only sober person in the place, it was clear to me that the next police onslaught was going to take casualties - serious casualties. Fortunately for all concerned, that next charge never came, possibly because it would have been a futile act, or perhaps someone had noticed that carnage was the certain outcome.

When the game was over, and we'd suffered a 3-2 reverse, our thoughts turned to extricating ourselves from this vile part of the world in one piece. We had a feeling that the evening ahead might be incident-strewn as we began to leave Dalymount Park, but we had little idea of just what lay ahead of us.

As we exited the ground, everyone had to turn right, but a glance to the left saw a line of police kitted out in riot gear and with batons drawn. As we shuffled along, the police began beating their shields with their batons, and it was evident that a confrontation of sorts was on the cards. As my pal and I walked away from the ground, the crowd behind us stirred and then began to rush past us. The charge had begun. As the advancing police moved amongst the Rangers support lashing out wildly with their batons, the pace of the Rangers fans quickened until it reached the stage where if a move wasn't made, being trampled or baton-whipped was a distinct probability. The police were effectively driving back the supporters to where our buses were, and some were relishing the opportunity to demonstrate their weapons superiority along the way. I made it back to our bus alongside my mate, unscathed, but tempers were up and chaos reigned. There were already supporters back on the coach, but some were still out on the street and several had been separated from friends. Within a short time everyone who'd been on the bus for the outward journey had made it back, some with baton-induced injuries.

I should mention one incident in particular which had the potential to become ghastly. One of our lads had leapt on to the bus whilst being pursued by a single policeman, and when he landed, just inside the door, he had to move swiftly as the officer tried to take one last swipe at him. The policeman, having missed, overbalanced slightly and two or three of the lads in the bus tried to haul him on board. It was probably for the best that the officer managed to make his escape. I dread to think of the consequences if this policeman had been "captured". Bearing in mind the climate of hate present that evening, forgiveness was the last thing on the minds of the support, particularly after the baton charge.

With all present on the bus, I picked a seat at the front and to the left, next to the window beside my pal in the aisle seat. We knew we were going to be subjected to missile attacks on the road home, and believe me, home was Ulster, even for those of us from Scotland.

I spotted someone in another bus removing a seat from the supporting frame, and placing the hard back of the seat against the window for protection. This seemed like a good idea, and I and almost everyone else in our bus followed suit.

As the bus engine fired up and we moved off, I informed the driver that we wouldn`t be stopping at red lights. He didn't need much persuading. As we passed the bottom of the hill which I had recognised as a hostile spot on the way into Dublin, I felt the force of a missile smash the glass window beside me, but the firm base of my seat was doing its job well, and no injuries were received. There were several other thuds throughout the bus at this stage, and the sound of breaking glass was all around. Fortunately our driver was obeying orders to the letter, and red lights were being disregarded by all buses as the Rangers convoy left town.

With Dublin disappearing fast behind us, the tension eased a little, but my seatback remained in place in case of further missile attacks. It's worth remembering that five or six windows, including mine, had gone, and the ventilation in the bus was excessive. No serious injuries were reported but we all wondered how others were faring.

As we sped through the Irish countryside, there were no further attacks, but we knew that, in Dundalk, a warm welcome would await us. As we neared this Republican stronghold, a voice from the back of the bus piped up, "Watch out chaps, bandits at six o` clock". Amid much laughter, we prepared ourselves for the next assault and defensive positions were adopted. Sure enough, hiding behind parked cars, a variety of locals were lying in wait, and yet again several buses were struck. The bus immediately in front of us was struck with a petrol bomb, but fortunately it bounced off the vehicle and onto the road where flames spewed over a length of tarmac, safely away from the supporters.

From my seat at the front, I had a clear view of some of the incidents, and the next one will live long in the memory. As one of the "bandits" rose from behind a parked car to launch an attack on the bus in front of ours, a Rangers fan appeared through one of the bus's skylight windows and fired a full can of beer at his target. His aim was sound and the missile-thrower collapsed in a heap after taking a can of Tennent`s full in the face. There was an almighty roar from within our bus at this moment. From being sitting ducks, and on the defensive, spirits were raised after witnessing one of our guys showing some serious initiative.

As we approached the border at Newry, we were waved through without fuss, and the relief was tangible. To see the RUC present in numbers, and with deadly weaponry at the ready, was actually a very reassuring sight. It was rather ironic, that having arrived in Northern Ireland, at the time one of Europe`s least safe places, we all felt a security that had been absent every step of the way in the Irish Republic. My stomach was reminding me too, that I`d still had nothing to eat or drink throughout the journey.

We headed for Larne after stopping briefly on the edge of Belfast, and were fortunate to catch a ferry back to Stranraer after a short wait.

The return match at Ibrox was a tense affair and it took two late goals to secure the tie for Rangers, and we advanced to the next round on a 4-3 aggregate. Those goals were celebrated in the same manner as though the match was an Old Firm game, especially for those of us who had been in Dublin.

During this story, I could have dwelt longer on the various incidents at Dalymount Park itself, but I wanted to give a fuller picture about the whole trip rather than just the match itself. It was a memorable day for all the wrong reasons, but those of us who made the visit are glad we did. This was a brief outline of the trip as I remember it, warts and all

My father went to the Dublin leg. Insanity from start to finish.

I remember we drew shelbourne in 1998 but the game was switched to England. I got to the away leg and the home leg of it. Remember being 3-0 down at half time in the first leg :oops:

The away game was in Tranmere. Very strange affair. Away game but it was like home game. Shelbourne fans were bused into Prenton Park, if I remember correctly.

My father went to the Dublin leg. Insanity from start to finish, he said.

The away game was in Tranmere. Very strange affair. Away game but it was like home game. Shelbourne fans were bused into Prenton Park, if I remember correctly.

I was on holiday in Blackpool and me and my dad and cousin went up to the game

This season we were near drawing cork in the qualifiers if results would have went the right way. What a trip that would have been

I was there, it was carnage alright. I could only get a ticket for the main stand got away with it by keeping my mouth shut and not wearing any colours couldn't get out quick enough at the end. Then it all started kicking off in and around Dublin after the match.

Went on the KP bus and it's the most violent game I've ever been to. From the minute we got there until trying to get on the bus after the game it was carnage. I've posted previously on another thread on my adventure in Dublin. But there are some things best left in the past.

Probably the worst trouble I’ve ever experienced, riot during half time inside ground, riot at full time outside ground. Had to fight through police barricades to get back to buses to find police had smashed most of them.
Traveling back to the border sitting on the floor with all the seat pads on our heads for protection as we were stoned in every town we went through whilst singing our hearts out as loud as we could. Luckily the Ulster bus driver decided not to stop at any traffic lights.
Great feeling when we reached the border

Number 8’s post on this is probably my favourite ever FF read.

I’d loved to have witnessed it.
Agree, I really enjoyed reading that, I was only a kid at the time and dont remember it although know all about it now. I've done about 20 Euro trips following us and had a few interesting moments but don't think we will ever get to experience that type of trip again sadly.

I was at the home game as young lad, it was bedlam and I can remember a cracking atmosphere
My late uncle told a story that he was in the wrong end in Dublin along with a few bears and it was jock Wallace that told them to get round to the right end
Dunno how true it was

Was on the last bus out of dublin that night ,went down with about 30 on our bus and came back with approximately 60.got hit in newry on way down with all windows in on 1 side.absolute mayhem in dublin as soon as we arrived, Republicans had stole a car and drove into the crowd as we were walking to the ground.once inside we were pelted with bottles from a multi storey carpark behind us.can remember the plain clothes cop pointing his gun at us.garda took a proper hammering but got us back after the game as we had to run the gauntlet. My old man took a hammering we had got separated on way out and he was protecting 2 of my school friends (we were 14 at time) from gards who were beating everyone.got back on bus and loads of guys missing, as I said by time we were leaving bus was packed and gards were beating us through the broken windows.got it pretty bad in dundalk 3 petrol bombs hit the roof ,%^*& knows how no one was killed. All windows on other sent went in too.got to the border and the army gave about a dozen guys first aid.crazy night!

Was at the home leg as a youngster. Tried to get in every stand but the queue's were mental and stands were being closed before we reached the turnstile. Ended up queued at the west enclosure and it's minutes till ko.

Guy in front of us shouted something along the lines of let the young boys in, and next thing were being shoved to the front.

Someone took umbridge and made a few comments but was quickly shouted down by the majority of the queue and a big copper atop a horse with his baton drawn.

This is the game I'm positive I was pulled out the west enclosure by the hood of my snorkel by a copper, and threw into the east because it was so crammed. Tried shouting to the bench on the way by but got a clip round the lug and told to behave or I'd get a wee visit to orkney St.

I was too young at the time but I’ve heard some incredible stories from others with first hand experience of it. Including when several buses stopped in Newry on the way down.

The local police clearly weren’t expecting them to stop. So the frantic police officer gave the bears strict instructions which pubs they could go to and which they must avoid.

Needless to stay the next time they saw the same policeman he was trying to talk them into leaving the smashed up bar they weren’t supposed to be in.

Brilliant read

And some posters on here today wetting their pants cause they think this hatred for us is new lol. That bohemians game there was proper poison
What people sometimes forget this was slap bang in the middle of the troubles.when I think about now I was walking around Dublin with a big badge on my scarf that had on it “rising sons of William,ulster not for sale” plastering “free loyalist prisoners and hang ira terrorists” stickers on just about every lamp post I past and the S/F office in Dublin it’s front door was plastered with them.
The ulster bears were invaluable to us Wet behind the ears Scottish bears in there advice in mid riot and it was them I heard telling bears to put the seats up to the bus windows after the game.
One of the busses was shot at another had a petrol bomb bounce of the window

I’m too young to have been around for it, but the stories I’ve heard from this fixture have always fascinated and intrigued me.

I spotted someone in another bus removing a seat from the supporting frame, and placing the hard back of the seat against the window for protection. This seemed like a good idea, and I and almost everyone else in our bus followed suit.

As the bus engine fired up and we moved off, I informed the driver that we wouldn`t be stopping at red lights. He didn't need much persuading. As we passed the bottom of the hill which I had recognised as a hostile spot on the way into Dublin, I felt the force of a missile smash the glass window beside me, but the firm base of my seat was doing its job well, and no injuries were received. There were several other thuds throughout the bus at this stage, and the sound of breaking glass was all around. Fortunately our driver was obeying orders to the letter, and red lights were being disregarded by all buses as the Rangers convoy left town.

With Dublin disappearing fast behind us, the tension eased a little, but my seatback remained in place in case of further missile attacks. It's worth remembering that five or six windows, including mine, had gone, and the ventilation in the bus was excessive. No serious injuries were reported but we all wondered how others were faring.

As we sped through the Irish countryside, there were no further attacks, but we knew that, in Dundalk, a warm welcome would await us. As we neared this Republican stronghold, a voice from the back of the bus piped up, "Watch out chaps, bandits at six o` clock". Amid much laughter, we prepared ourselves for the next assault and defensive positions were adopted. Sure enough, hiding behind parked cars, a variety of locals were lying in wait, and yet again several buses were struck. The bus immediately in front of us was struck with a petrol bomb, but fortunately it bounced off the vehicle and onto the road where flames spewed over a length of tarmac, safely away from the supporters.

From my seat at the front, I had a clear view of some of the incidents, and the next one will live long in the memory. As one of the "bandits" rose from behind a parked car to launch an attack on the bus in front of ours, a Rangers fan appeared through one of the bus's skylight windows and fired a full can of beer at his target. His aim was sound and the missile-thrower collapsed in a heap after taking a can of Tennent`s full in the face. There was an almighty roar from within our bus at this moment. From being sitting ducks, and on the defensive, spirits were raised after witnessing one of our guys showing some serious initiative.

As we approached the border at Newry, we were waved through without fuss, and the relief was tangible. To see the RUC present in numbers, and with deadly weaponry at the ready, was actually a very reassuring sight. It was rather ironic, that having arrived in Northern Ireland, at the time one of Europe`s least safe places, we all felt a security that had been absent every step of the way in the Irish Republic. My stomach was reminding me too, that I`d still had nothing to eat or drink throughout the journey.

We headed for Larne after stopping briefly on the edge of Belfast, and were fortunate to catch a ferry back to Stranraer after a short wait.

The return match at Ibrox was a tense affair and it took two late goals to secure the tie for Rangers, and we advanced to the next round on a 4-3 aggregate. Those goals were celebrated in the same manner as though the match was an Old Firm game, especially for those of us who had been in Dublin.

During this story, I could have dwelt longer on the various incidents at Dalymount Park itself, but I wanted to give a fuller picture about the whole trip rather than just the match itself. It was a memorable day for all the wrong reasons, but those of us who made the visit are glad we did. This was a brief outline of the trip as I remember it, warts and all

Must have read this a dozen times now. Never gets old. Thanks for posting.

Was on the last bus out of dublin that night ,went down with about 30 on our bus and came back with approximately 60.got hit in newry on way down with all windows in on 1 side.absolute mayhem in dublin as soon as we arrived, Republicans had stole a car and drove into the crowd as we were walking to the ground.once inside we were pelted with bottles from a multi storey carpark behind us.can remember the plain clothes cop pointing his gun at us.garda took a proper hammering but got us back after the game as we had to run the gauntlet. My old man took a hammering we had got separated on way out and he was protecting 2 of my school friends (we were 14 at time) from gards who were beating everyone.got back on bus and loads of guys missing, as I said by time we were leaving bus was packed and gards were beating us through the broken windows.got it pretty bad in dundalk 3 petrol bombs hit the roof ,%^*& knows how no one was killed. All windows on other sent went in too.got to the border and the army gave about a dozen guys first aid.crazy night!
I remember looking out of the bus window in Dundalk and seeing a few bears jumping out of the broken bus windows and give the locals a chasing and all the missiles that went through the windows coming back out and scattering some of the locals

I thought it would be better travelling by ferry direct to Dublin. The ferry was turned back and all the bears were taken off and escorted back into Liverpool and put on train back to Glasgow.

What people sometimes forget this was slap bang in the middle of the troubles.when I think about now I was walking around Dublin with a big badge on my scarf that had on it “rising sons of William,ulster not for sale” plastering “free loyalist prisoners and hang ira terrorists” stickers on just about every lamp post I past and the S/F office in Dublin it’s front door was plastered with them.
The ulster bears were invaluable to us Wet behind the ears Scottish bears in there advice in mid riot and it was them I heard telling bears to put the seats up to the bus windows after the game.
One of the busses was shot at another had a petrol bomb bounce of the window
Was it the Glassy had a bullet hole in it? Remember reading that a few times.

I enjoyed reading the post from number eight and others so will add my own humble effort, it is now 36 years ago so forgive my disjointed recollection, i'll try to fit it on one post:

Myself and a few others (around 5 or 6 in total) from the London and Brighton areas including Dave Clarke and Hector 2 from on here got a train from Paddington to get the Rosslare to Dun Laoghaire ferry over for the game. The trip over went fairly smoothly a few beers and at that point little sense of what lay in store.

From Dun Laoghaire it was a short train journey to Dublin where we decided to head for their famous post office to make some kind of youthful stand against the ROI rebel scum, being around lunch time none of the locals seemed to be interested in a reinactment so we headed into the nearest bar.

The owner and his staff got the Punt to Pound exchange rate wrong and we ended up with very cheap drink all afternoon, at some point quite a few Everton fans turned up (they were playing the night before or after I think), this was still around the time of hooligan/casual crews and they initially set about trying to intimidate us but as a few more bears turned up they grew less arrogant quite quickly, eventually slinking off.

The bar filled with more bears as the afternoon wore on with the flags hoisted inside and out and the songs being belted out drawing more interest from groups of locals who started to grow in numbers with the odd bottle thrown from distance. The atmosphere was now definitely developing an edge as it started to grow darker. I recall hearing stories of how nuns had been thrown overboard from a ferry at Liverpool, this turned out to be an urban myth.

The bar emptied and as we made our way to the ground we started to see more of the Rangers support and feel the usual buzz of approaching the stadium in anticipation of the match. I recall getting through the turnstiles without incident but could definitely feel a growing 'edge' to the evening and witnessed the following in no particular order.

A Union Flag was set alight at the home end and a number of Rangers fans scaled a fence around 15-20 ft high with one or two launching across the park to swap punches with one or two of theirs. The Gardi then started to line the fence to stop more getting on and things calmed down slightly for the start of the game, as the game got under way so did the running battles with the Gardi in the Rangers end.

I remember the Ulster bears being in no mood to take any crap from the enemy police force and stood watching in disbelief as the exchange of hostility built, the game actually became a side show, I can't remember when Jock Wallace came to appeal for calm but I do remember him getting told to f*** off by more than a few bears.

As the battles built, the Gardi actually got chased out of the Rangers end and when one of them pulled out a gun he had it taken off him. Towards or at half time the Gardi sent in riot police who also got chased, as they tried to re-group a bunch of bears had got a railway sleeper from somewhere and were holding over the entrance to the terrace ready to drop it on the next Gardi charge. The Gardi were getting the 'come ahead' to get them back onto the terrace but they'd seen what was waiting and were not for coming back.

I have a vague recollection of the goals going in at intervals but was mostly standing drop jawed at what was going on around. The Gardi stayed back until the final whistle where it became clear they were getting ready for payback, after what had gone on so far I was a little concerned to see armoured vehicles pulling up outside and squads of Gardi waving batons about. When the gates opened it was run the gauntlet time and they waded in bent on revenge, the first few minutes were running battles with bears having a good go back. I saw one of our group (a certain individual from Brighton, not DC) grab a dustbin, run up behind a Gard and plant in over his head and shoulders which would have been highly amusing if it wasn't for the fact there were about a dozen of his mates coming straight at us looking to crack skulls.

As most of the bears fought their way on to their buses (windows already being panned) we realised we had a slight problem, the Bohemians mob were now getting very brave and trying to get at the Rangers support. Hundreds stood between us and the station we needed to get to. I have no idea how, but our group of 5/6 got to the local station without serious damage but when we got onto the platform we were surrounded by dozens of the local mob with the Gards actually egging them towards us. We all grabbed what ever we could could find and got ready for a last ditch defence (I got a shovel from somewhere.

The mob stood back as I think none of them wanted to be the first to charge in, lots of abuse and threats of kicking our heads in etc but still a stand off. The train pulled in and we kind of backed our way on, it felt like a real life version of the film Warriors (older bears will know it). We stood by the door still bracing our selves for a severe doing but still no charge which was fine by us, the instant the doors shut missiles flew and much kicking of the train doors commenced but the feared trip to casualty never materialised.

When the train got to Dun Laoghaire it was quite late and we made our way to a B&B where I, for reasons that escape me, gave up my place to a character from Catford who had no money and slept in a shelter in a local grave yard and stood shivering by the window in the morning as he ate his breakfast in the warmth of the B&B I had paid for !

I went to football throughout the terrace fighting era but never saw anything like it before or since, I wasn't actually sure what the score was and probably only saw about 25% of the game.

I thought it would be better travelling by ferry direct to Dublin. The ferry was turned back and all the bears were taken off and escorted back into Liverpool and put on train back to Glasgow.
I travelled via Holyhead was stopped as I was about to head for the boat questioned about where I was staying in Dublin and why I was going there. Bluffed my way through it, they searched my holdall as I had'nt packed any colours they had no good reason to stop me travelling. The whole experience was an eye opener.

I was there,travelled over on the dundee Loyal bus and our bus was one of the few who made it back to larne with windows intact.i remember chasing the gardai out of the rangers end,they got a complete doing that night so much so that one of the plain clothed officers drew his weapon and was threatening to shoot,his hands were shaking like a leaf.
I was standing just up from that! Really thought he was going to shoot! When we came out it was like Zulu with the Garda all in riot gear battering their shields!

My first ever Euro trip as a teenager, total carnage but an experience I'll never forget. The battles inside the ground, then outside after full time were bedlam. Throw in the buses getting ambushed at Dundalk and Newry on the way back, it has lived long the memory.

Back