Boli Bolingoli was eligible to play but the issues is he was not allowed to play under agreed government guidance

I understood what Hugh said last night, with his wording, as we all did. He is on the books at Celtic and eligible to play...

But, digressing from Covid, is there a rule that says players should not play if they know legally they are to be elsewhere?

By law he should have been in quarantine.

Say he was a witness or cited to court, and opted to play football, what would happen?

(Maybe my scenario is way off course here).

Ignorance by Celtc on their players previous whereabouts is no excuse, mate. The reality is that he was on the pitch at Rugby Park when he should have been in isolation. They broke the rules. If that mob want to bin their player, then that is between them and him.
If it had been a Killie player, you know the beasts would be spitting blood and want awarded the three points.
Kilmarnock should be all over this one

Have the SPFL actually said anything re this situation. Over the past few months they made statement after statement...why the silence now ?

He should have been quarantining for 14 days after his return and therefore was ineligible to play. Both club and player broke the rules and therefore should be punished. Aberdeen's situation is different as they were arseholes for going for a swally and got caught when testing positive later. They haven't fielded ineligible players. For example, if teams play an ineligible player in a cup completion they are thrown out of the competition-over to you Doncaster. Whatcha gonna do about it.:p

He should have been in quarantine. He was not permitted to go to work for 14 days. He is employed as a footballer by Celtc FC, so it follows that he cannot play football. That makes him ineligible, by the definition of the word.

I get your point that there is no specific SPFL/SFA rule to cover this. However, there are rules which cover bringing the game into disrepute, not acting in the interests of the game or other clubs etc. Any of those could easily be adapted to cover this situation.

That is a fair point, and perhaps worth asking, but it's not a player eligibility breach. The simple fact is that all the talk/comparisons around fines and 3-0 to Killie, etc based on breaching player eligibility will not apply here unless there is a specific law relating to this - I don't believe there is and have been unable to find (or be shown) one. Player eligibility in the rules is around being registered to play and meeting player regulations (ie not being suspended, etc). There's nothing relating to legally meant to be somewhere else.

The issue as far as I'm concerned remains that they haven't written any of this into the rules and have left it as something to be worked out ad-hoc when the shit hits the fan. Typical SPFL to be honest, but even at that staggeringly incompetent.

It would be pretty straightforward to establish prior to season kick-off.

- Players, staff must adhere to government regulations regarding CoVid
- If a player/staff member breaches government regulations then penalty is ***
- Club is accountable for player/staff breaches of government regulations and penalty for breaches is ***

Surely, given Nippy reference agreeing "rules" with the football authorities after the Aberdeen incident, they should've written them into the book? But no - apparently they thought they'd just manage to get by...

They also made a c@nt of it by postponing Aberdeen's game after that when they should've set the tone there and then. Give St J the points and lay the marker/precedent.

It is not yet confirmed that there is no rule

All we have is the Covid JRG statement halting their matches. It is covid related admin and has no disciplinary remit

There has been no disciplinary anything from the SFA. Not even a disrepute charge.

Until then we are left guessing and await someone actually challenging it

You don't have to confirm there isn't a rule, you have to confirm there is.

Where are the sfa/spfl in all this. Just a couple of weeks ago they were all for hammering us when there was a rumour of playing without covid results or something. Their silence is deafening and,as it's celtic very much expected.
Exactly, mulraney strangely quiet.

yes a play on words but we need to be clear and concise on this matter

this is the issue he was not ineligible.

He was not allowed to play under the current government agreed guidance signed by all the clubs the Scottish government and Public Health Authority

last night on SSB (i know) this was getting batted back by keviens and its a play of words but that is why he is good at his job

this is the line we must use the ineligible bit is not true and the argument will be batted back down every time
Might be a play on words but at the end of the day if you are not allowed to play due to government guidelines then it makes you ineligible to play. They will twist it whatever way they can but he was ineligible

Did Legia Warsaws manager know that the sub he put on was inelligble to play? No, but he put him on and it cost them millions.

Celtic need to be punished as Legia were. A 3-0 win to St Mirren, a 3-0 win to Kilmarnock and a "nil point" for both Celtic & Aberdeen for Saturday with both teams having 3 goals added to goals against. The only sensible punishment.
Exact point I was going to make. Legia were unaware their player was ineligible due to an administrative error and, similarly, put him on with a few minutes to go. Result, 0-3 loss and consequent removal from the tournament. Celtic were, imo, equally unaware of Bolingoli not following guidelines and similarly brought him on with a few minutes to go but whether they knew or not is entirely irrelevant as the same consequences as above should apply in this case.

But why would they risk their whole squad getting Covid, and possibly Killie's too? I could maybe see your point if it was Edouard or something. But Bolingoli? They'd just tell him to f*ck off into isolation. No way do they chance it for a wee diddy squad player as an 87th minute sub.
Whether they knew or never is irrelevant, they broke the rules, same as legia warsaw

He should have been quarantining for 14 days after his return and therefore was ineligible to play. Both club and player broke the rules and therefore should be punished. Aberdeen's situation is different as they were arseholes for going for a swally and got caught when testing positive later. They haven't fielded ineligible players. For example, if teams play an ineligible player in a cup completion they are thrown out of the competition-over to you Doncaster. Whatcha gonna do about it.:p
Why are the games cancelled if it’s only the player who has to quarantine is this because Sturgeon ordered them to ,if not surely it’s 14 days without a game as their CL is at the Piggery that would include that also.

Why are the games cancelled if it’s only the player who has to quarantine is this because Sturgeon ordered them to ,if not surely it’s 14 days without a game as their CL is at the Piggery that would include that also.
The SNP were aware about the Euro game when deciding on the length of time that they are not allowed to play.

It's a carve up

It is not yet confirmed that there is no rule

All we have is the Covid JRG statement halting their matches. It is covid related admin and has no disciplinary remit

There has been no disciplinary anything from the SFA. Not even a disrepute charge.

Until then we are left guessing and await someone actually challenging it

Which is the Compliance Officers job.

Let's just focus on winning our games, thats all we need to worry about.
It's not one or the other though, or shouldn't be
In this day and age we should clearly have a board, legal team, finance, media, team management and players.

There should be a team of folk who's day to day job has nothing to do with us winning tonight.
And they should be all over this.
They should be all over the lack of action against the drive by shooter (unless I've missed it)
They should be all over 14 day quarentine work rules prohibiting the mentally challengeds playing in Europe.

Because at the end of the day, the mentally challengeds have this in place and its worth it to them as it costs us more in £s and points as it costs them to pay the wages of these guys.

This is where we are our own worst enemy. I know this is the attitude we have always had, but where has that got us? They jump on every little thing we do and we are just like, oh forget them, focus on us. But that achieves nothing.
Exactly. Our players will focus on us. We as supporters need to do our bit to ensure we get every advantage we can for them.

The SNP were aware about the Euro game when deciding on the length of time that they are not allowed to play.

It's a carve up
That is 100% correct and they even admitted it live on radio last night. They wanted to make sure celtic were not affected being able to play their Euro tie. Their words not mine.

That is 100% correct and they even admitted it live on radio last night. They wanted to make sure celtic were not affected being able to play their Euro tie. Their words not mine.
So if it was a league game next week ,ACH what’s the point.

Last edited:
Its hard to believe. But it's equally hard to believe that they would then have him at training and bring him on as an 87th minute substitute. As somebody said last night, Lawwell and Lennon are alot of things but stupid isn't one of them.
No but they are bulletproof.

Still don’t get why the games where cancelled and what determined the length of time .
It was the Scottish Government showing that they can lift and impose the changes as and when they want to. It's the football equivalent of a local lockdown and they can lift it when they choose to.

He was not allowed to play under the current government agreed guidance signed by all the clubs the Scottish government and Public Health Authority

last night on SSB (i know) this was getting batted back by keviens and its a play of words but that is why he is good at his job

this is the line we must use the ineligible bit is not true and the argument will be batted back down every time
He was ineligible due to cover 19 restrictions.

I am fairly certain that the Tims are looking into sacking him. Not a "in the know" post but just some whispers from my pals who are senior lawyers at firms who advise celtic
That may well be a dangerous path for them to tread.
He may demand that his contract is paid in full and that he is also paid a fee for signing an NDA.
Else he may well say that the club or officials were informed of his activities and location during the time in question.
It would end up a costly exercise for them. Which is nice.

There has to be an investigation into it. I doubt the club will get any punishment re eligibility of him. But if he was met by Celtc officials then Lennon has lied, and that is a bigger deal.

this is the most important thing for me thetimeline that they new he had been to Spain if it was before ko they should be punished

It was the Scottish Government showing that they can lift and impose the changes as and when they want to. It's the football equivalent of a local lockdown and they can lift it when they choose to.
That’s what I thought .

If anyone thinks they are going to be punished for this they are barking up the wrong tree. The SPFL will say the threat of the game being stopped is punishment enough and the sweeping will begin

Just dock them the 10 points or award their opponents the 3-0 for the games they miss (they've enjoyed that one in the past).

Anyway imagine how it would be if we had 2 CL places and they weren't one of the 2 teams to qualify?

If anyone thinks they are going to be punished for this they are barking up the wrong tree. The SPFL will say the threat of the game being stopped is punishment enough and the sweeping will begin

I think you're correct. I would say that the obvious rhetort (to that argument) is to question why they are punishing their opponents if the postponement is considered the punishment?

I'm sure if it was a Rangers player there would be no punishment from spfl or witch hunt from every1 else in Scotland :rolleyes:

Celtic are automatically guilty by association in respect of Boli.

Celtic admitting being guilty by association isn't something that sits well with them, which has been proved over the years

I am fairly certain that the Tims are looking into sacking him. Not a "in the know" post but just some whispers from my pals who are senior lawyers at firms who advise celtic
What odds that you are correct, that lot sack him and boof next he’s signed by some Spanish side like say Malaga

Its hard to believe. But it's equally hard to believe that they would then have him at training and bring him on as an 87th minute substitute. As somebody said last night, Lawwell and Lennon are alot of things but stupid isn't one of them.

Players speak to each other though so to claim they didnt know is a pack of lies! they are basically trying to suggest their players arent like any workforce that chats about what they did at the weeknd and you certainly would if you had been in spain.

Anyone actually knows what the guidelines / rules of the SPFL regarding fielding ineligible players is?

They have a few pages regarding the Covid-19 tests and a lot of "must"s in there, but not a word about penalties and sanctions.

I take it that Bolingoli was tested before the game as usual?

As for Celtic (or indeed any club), they acted totally irresponsible with regard to where their players were before a game, which should receive a sanction of its own.
Aberdeen's party is a slightly different matter, as they did not play a game shortly after breaking the rules.
Which is another note on the list of reasons Doncaster should be out the door.

Failure to write the CoVid rules into the laws of the game for this season is astonishingly incompetent - especially after the abject shambles of a summer they had around their rules and rulebook and legal challenges/infighting.

Basic day dot simple logic stuff to ensure they had rules and penalties for breaches clearly written prior to kick-off.

You stick to the poet rhetoric. The SPFL rules relating to Eligibility are referenced in both an open fashion ie relating to any other law or rule and also specific to registration, suspension etc mentioned elsewhere in the SPFL rule book. First up, a club must not field a player who is not eligible to play. He wasn’t. Doesn’t matter why or in relation to what other rule or law, he wasn’t eligible to play and by default broke this SPFL rule. There are plenty of other angles Celtic are culpable, fill your boots, but this one generally has the harshest outcome, it shouldn’t be dropped.

Let's just focus on winning our games, thats all we need to worry about.

Queen-Showing-Thumbs-Up-On-Her-Birthday1.jpg

Aye aye smell it from here

Yes we should be focusing on winning our fixtures...

However, Club management (aside from the playing/coaching staff) should be all over this & going for the jugular where at all possible.

This title is win-at-all-cost, so let’s play these rats at their own game for once.

No Surrender!

Under normal circumstances he woulda been eligible but due to government rules everyone must follow he’s ineligible due to visiting spain

I can’t believe they don’t go through a list of questions prior to every game,was at Specsavers before it opened up to the public and they had some amount of procedures in place prior to it .
The SPFL rules seem to imply there is some paperwork involved regards Covid. I would assume a list of questions to be answered, e.g. Did any player leave the country? I would think they answered "No".
It would be nice to see what paperwork is involved before the games. Maybe the media can get that for us? :rolleyes:
In the past ignorance of the rules has been no defense when the rule is broken.

So in effect it was the club who were at fault?? This is why they are denying they knew about Bolnigoli's trip. Scheming tramps. The SPFL/SFA should deduct any points they could have gained in the postponed games, :mad:

Did Legia Warsaws manager know that the sub he put on was inelligble to play? No, but he put him on and it cost them millions.

Celtic need to be punished as Legia were. A 3-0 win to St Mirren, a 3-0 win to Kilmarnock and a "nil point" for both Celtic & Aberdeen for Saturday with both teams having 3 goals added to goals against. The only sensible punishment.
I'm not sure if you have clarified yet the claim you made that you know he definitely came back on the Thursday

This is where we are our own worst enemy. I know this is the attitude we have always had, but where has that got us? They jump on every little thing we do and we are just like, oh forget them, focus on us. But that achieves nothing.
They do but we have more class than that, all I care about is winning football games and not off the field battles because those are what get us nowhere.

The problem with being able to cover up your own corruption is that lessons can’t be learnt from by anybody either.

They wouldn't have had him in the squad for Killie if they were aware he had been to Spain. Wouldn't have had him training with the rest of the squad. He'd have been put straight into quarantine. Why take the risk of infecting the whole squad for the sake of a shite 2nd choice left back?
Sounds like failure to control their players, unless it’s ok if you were conned and got furious about it.

Back