Bomber Brown (the Dundee player)

sprally

Official Ticketer
What I can remember did he put us out of 2 Scottish cups.
Always remember being at Dens in 85 iirc
Bomber scores, guy shouts ya ***, a voice behind says, naw pal he’s one of us.

One of my abiding memories of Bomber is a midweek game at Dens in early January 1988 not long after we'd lost to that mob in the New Year game. There was a howling gale on a freezing cold night and Super had put us one up. The Dees were pressing hard for the equaliser when Bomber ballooned one well over the bar from just outside the box. As he turned to run back upfield the Bears in the stand started to barrack him. Bomber then turned and gave the Bears the full underarm 'V' sign. Souness signed him a few days later. :))

Forget ability, forget nationality, forget background - there’s never been a bigger bluenose to pull on a Rangers jersey than John Brown.

Last edited:
Im sure he failed a medical or Hearts pulled out of signing Bomber due to a knee injury a few months before we signed him
Twist of fate that worked out well for both Rangers and Bomber
Started the long fight back against the spivs publicly for which he sadly took plenty flak from our own.
Well deserving of his status among the Rangers support

Bomber is legend a true blue and another thing that makes him a legend that he gave 150% even when he played against us AND them. Not like the alot if the current crop who usually have their best games against us then suddenly drop their pants against them like Dundee 2021

My dads all time favourite Rangers player.

I had to miss seeing Bomber at a sportsman’s dinner a few years ago because the wife’s best pal got married the same day. Selfish cow.

My dad worked with his dad many years ago.Always remember my dad telling me he actually supports Rangers.I couldn’t believe it.Always seemed to play a blinder against us.

It has to go down in history that Bomber Brown was a tremendous footballer first and foremost. Never looked out of place beside Gough and was every bit as good. He played several positions well and it's a disgrace that he wasn't capped. Brian Irvine ffs.

And played consistently and at a high level in the company of those calibre of players despite being plagued by serious knee problems.

Some players just have the heart and will to get there…. John Brown was one of those special players.

He was a right pest against us before he signed. Put us out the Scottish Cup and scored a last minute winner on my birthday in 1986. But what a player he was for us!

I saw John Brown as a young lad, playing left back for Accies in the late seventies.

I recall a League Cup tie at Old Douglas Park, v Celtic, around 1980. No practical segregation, and I was standing on the terracing surrounded by thousands of Celtic fans. They gave Brown dog’s abuse from start to finish: “ya dirty Orange B, Brown”, and the like.

In my naivety, I assumed it was because of his orange hair, but I guess his allegiances were clear even back then.

When we signed I was not a happy bunny I thought “why are we signing that 19th Century Terrorist kunt” it was scarring from his goal celebrations and one particular incident at a game at dens against us.he won a penalty where he clearly dived and to rub salt in the wound he was clearly at least a couple of yards outside the box!!!
he gets up scores the pen runs towards us behind the goal giving us all sorts of abuse and bears are trying to get on the pitch to get him.

When we signed I was not a happy bunny I thought “why are we signing that 19th Century Terrorist kunt” it was scarring from his goal celebrations and one particular incident at a game at dens against us.he won a penalty where he clearly dived and to rub salt in the wound he was clearly at least a couple of yards outside the box!!!
he gets up scores the pen runs towards us behind the goal giving us all sorts of abuse and bears are trying to get on the pitch to get him.
I was at Ibrox when he was giving the fans it at half time going up the tunnel.He must have been raging at being called a 19th Century Terrorist and gave some back.I honestly thought he was one of them.He was always immense against us.Suppose that is what got him his move to the Teddy Bears.

An unsung 9 in a row hero. Used to love it when he played centre half, he would lob the ball over the opposition midfield and try and run onto his own pass further up the pitch. Kind of like they do in rugby..

John Brown was a left back at Accies, converted to a midfielder at Dundee, and then converted to a central defender at Rangers.

That’s testament to his versatility, and he was also a very skilful footballer, who could both defend and attack. Not to mention his competitiveness. A great, and underestimated, player.

I remember one cup tie at Dens where Brown scored ( twice?). We got back to the bus and he was interviewed and asked if he’d like to say anything to his family. He replied” I’d just like to ask my Mum if it’s ok if I come home for my tea tonight”

A much more talented player than he gets credit for, John Brown played leftback, left-mid, & forward for Rangers before making his mark in central defence.

John Brown was great for Rangers.
He would have played anywhere for Rangers. Aberdeen game when winning the title. Snapped Achillies but he continued on. Legend.

I first met JB when he was at Accies and met hims socially a number of times over the following years, including an epic ''wet the baby's head'' night in the early 90's. I last spoke to him at the march where he called the spivs out. A good lad.

Remember it well, brought it up with the man himself and he just smiled and said I was a Dundee player and you all thought I was a tim anyway

Was sitting beside him at the Dunfermline game (other said of the stairs), he was with his grand son so didn’t want to pester him.

i was there to witness it, he was some player.

mental how he was ignored by the national team.
Mate, we could have went into France 98 with a back 4 of Bomber, Hendry, Gough and Robertson with Goram in the sticks. That defence is easily getting out that group if it wasn’t for bigotry and incompetence from jumped-up PE teachers.

Back