Booing of our players taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s an absolute embarrassment. Unfortunately the club attracts a % of knuckle draggers you will never change
I 100% don’t agree with the gesture but I also 100% don’t agree with boo-ing it.
However, on top of this, I 100% don’t agree with a Rangers fan being slurred like this.
Remember, this is a term used by some to describe a fan sing TBB.

Last edited:
Some people would tell us Rangers are linked to an extreme loyalist group (UVF) and therefore we are all bigots...

Those people are wrong.
What kind of false equivalence is this? Kneeling was started by and extremism Marxist group. What’s so difficult to understand?
if you want to virtue signal or support then do something NOT associated with this hateful entity. It’s not rocket science.

I 100% don’t agree with the gesture but I also 100% don’t agree with boo-ing it.
However, on top of this, I 100% don’t agree with acRangers fan being slurred like this.
Remember, this is a term used by some to describe a fan sing TBB.
Im sorry if it’s not what you like hearing but we have some of the best fans in the world but due to our support size we carry a lot of support who like society are a stain on our club.

There was a guy behind us in the Club Deck who, I kid you not, was only heard 3 times during the whole match…

1. Booing the players taking the knee before shouting something about Marxism.
2. A solo rendition of “here lies a soldier…”.
3. Joined in extremely loud and proud with God Save the Queen.

Sadly there’s some in our support who don’t come along to support Rangers the football team.

I support the players doing this so will never boo them - but if I didn’t support them , I wouldn’t boo - if the folk that are can’t see what will be the outcome of this they must be stupid .
1 . It will piss off our players
2. Watch how our reaction is compared to Celtc fans & think how they will react to this act ?
They were booing the Madrid players not taking the knee.

What kind of false equivalence is this? Kneeling was started by and extremism Marxist group. What’s so difficult to understand?
if you want to virtue signal or support then do something NOT associated with this hateful entity. It’s not rocket science.

I understand it perfectly, but the players and others are entitled to disagree.

We are live on a sky on Saturday probably with a bigger then normal UK audience due to no English games on yet so you can guarantee if this happens at the weekend it will be headline news and the club will be painted in a bad light again.

if you don’t like the gesture that’s fine but please just stay silent for a few seconds.

booing of your own clubs players especially after the season they had is mind numbing

Missed the start of both games on RTV so had no idea this had happened, didn't even give it a thought. In fact, I thought the players stopped doing it after Slavia.

Absolute fucking cretins.

If by booing it upsets any of our players then regardless of any political views it is wrong. Just shut up and keep your views to yourself. We want this team to go from strength to strength and the only way they’ll drive forward and get there is if we are rock solid behind them.

Please don’t boo, keep your political views to the pub or proclaim it outside on a wee pair of kitchen steps just don’t upset the team.

Well done to the OP for posting this and getting the needed debate started.
Maybe players could do something original for themselves to
Is there anyone honest enough to admit that they did it here? Would be interested to hear their reasons as to why.
Can you not understand why people are booing the action? Blm are scumbag thieves. It's well documented that their organisers have siphoned large chunks of donations for themselves.
I'd rather Football came up with something of their own to show solidarity.

Thankfully no one around me booed on Sunday but you could hear a few around the stadium, very small minority of idiots.

I get the whole argument about BLM but the reality is, anyone booing is booing our own players. On a human level, that isn't going to be a nice experience for them. Time for that minority to grow up.

The players have stated many times that they do it to promote racial equality. I don't know how many more times it needs to be stated.

Do folk honestly believe that the players want to overthrow capitalism? I can't wrap my head around some of the replies on this thread tbh. If you boo any of our players for taking the knee, then you're a scumbag. Quite simple really. You're the prick with an insidious agenda, not them.

I booed…at home. Do you want to tell me what to think there too?

Hate racism
Hate empty gestures that people are rationalising after the fact but everyone knew what taking the knee was in relation to 12 months ago.
Players can do it if they want but if they chose a different gesture the boos would stop… up to them to make it a issue seeing as many other clubs don’t do it now either.

Does it matter when? Conor Goldson played more than 8,000 minutes of football last year for Rangers. If he “took the knee” for 5 seconds a game then he still spent less than 3 minutes in total doing so. Would it matter a jot if it was here forever?

Or, given that racism persists, would you prefer some other small ”token gesture” of protest against it? what do you suggest the players do instead? Or should they just not do or say anything at all?
I have my doubts about the gesture. It has run its course anyway.

Especially when a racist gets a minimum ban and allowed to serve it during the Euros.

Our team celebrating a goal together, winning the league together. Standing shoulder to shoulder in the face of the Kamara incident days much more.

When the booing stops.

The fact our support boo black players who were racially abused shows why it's needed.

Im not getting into the conversation on the players taking the knee.

but you need to watch how you word your posts.

our support were not booing black players, they were booing the taking of the knee by the team.

whether you or I deem that right or wrong is one thing, but saying the were booing black players is not what happened

Didn't hear any booing from where I was sitting on Sunday however if it happened I hope the surrounding fans around the guilty party told then to wind their necks in, agree or not its not hard to respect the players actions or thoughts on the matter. If it happens again identify the culprits and heave them out, we don't need unnecessary distraction from the stands.

Can you not understand why people are booing the action? Blm are scumbag thieves. It's well documented that their organisers have siphoned large chunks of donations for themselves.
No, I don't understand it. I don't understand why people are conflating extremist elements of a political movement with our own players who are simply showing public opposition to racism.

Would you boo Joe Aribo when he crosses himself?

I didn't boo and would never, ever boo a rangers player regardless (I even hate it when there's booing at the end of a game we've lost). But I really hate the taking the knee stuff and here's why I think players should stop doing it.

I don't for one second think any Rangers players or Marcus Rashford or Bakayo Saka or any players for that matter are doing the gesture in support of cultural Marxism or anything other than pushing for racial equality/justice (call it what you will). However the whole gesture came from an individual (or least became prominent to the masses) Colin Kaepernick in direct support of BLM etc. What has followed is months of violence, looting, assault and even murder (in the US) in the name of BLM. The group's stated goals are to end almost everything we would classify as western values.

Since the taking the knee became the done thing in football you've had organisations like sky sports news falling over themselves to tell everyone how racist this country is. The perfect example being post the England v Italy final with all the abuse aimed the black players who missed penalties. A study showed that well over 80% of the racist tweets the England team received came from abroad (75% from Asia and predominantly Islamic countries like Pakistan, UAE, Saudi Arabia etc if I remember right). This is not a fact you'd hear if you listened to the British media. The point of highlighting this is to show the players using the gesture in a well meaning manner are being manipulated and weaponised by those with more nefarious agendas.

To use a bit of an analogy, imagine a group, say anti lockdown groups, started using the Nazi salute as it's symbol of unifying gesture. Imagine there were people marching around city centres protesting by doing the Nazi salute. They tell you it's nothing to do with Nazis, it's simply a gesture that they want to end lockdowns. How do you think that would go down? Would a distinction be drawn? Would we have media groups falling over themselves to say "don't boo them, they aren't using it as a political gesture, just simply for the sign of freedom"? Of course not, they've be labelled far right Nazis before Jim Whyte could start preaching about it. The more worrying thing would be that it would be a perfect recruiting tool for actual Nazi groups to show that their movement as widespread support.

That's the same issue I have with the taking or the knee. The gesture has been weaponised to such an extent by the media that it will provoke a reaction and provide an untrue narrative of racists booing. It can then be used as a recruiting tool by those within BLM organisations to sew the seeds of racial division amongst young black people who see images of Rashford etc being booed.

So my big ask of the players would be, if you really feel a football pitch is the best place to display your message, don't pick one which is clearly already tarnished. Pick something different. Would show racism the red card 10 seconds before kick off be any less impactful? No. Would it receive any boos? I highly doubt it.

Last edited:
Maybe players could do something original for themselves to

What happened to they were booing Madrid for not taking the knee? That was a quick about turn.

Nobody cares if you agree with it or not. Nobody's asking YOU to do it. You've got no right to tell Glen Kamara what he should or shouldn't be doing as a gesture against racism. Simple as that.

There was more than a few people around me in CD1 on Sunday who booed it and it was, quite frankly, shameful. I've got no idea if it's because folk have it in their minds that taking the knee is something that it's not or if they've seen others boo it and think it's "cool" to join in or whatever, but it does need to stop. We all know why the players are doing it, so either applaud them doing it or just keep quiet for a few seconds, rather than trying to get yourselves over.

Missed the start of both games on RTV so had no idea this had happened, didn't even give it a thought. In fact, I thought the players stopped doing it after Slavia.

Absolute fucking cretins.
To be fair mate the very players who were down on the knee at the weekend were the same players who refused to do it after Slavia, saying it was futile.

Im not getting into the conversation on the players taking the knee.

but you need to watch how you word your posts.

our support were not booing black players, they were booing the taking of the knee by the team.

whether you or I deem that right or wrong is one thing, but saying the were booing black players is not what happened
Its pretty damn sad when any booing happened considering the circumstances, if anybody can't see that then that's exactly where the problem lays.

I booed…at home. Do you want to tell me what to think there too?

Hate racism
Hate empty gestures that people are rationalising after the fact but everyone knew what taking the knee was in relation to 12 months ago.
Players can do it if they want but if they chose a different gesture the boos would stop… up to them to make it a issue seeing as many other clubs don’t do it now either.

Yeah, it's the Rangers players who are at fault here. Not weirdo edgelords like you.

The idea of a 45-year-old bloke sitting in his house boo'ing a laptop screen is hysterical mind you.

Imagine having to say to all the people who sit near you "By the way everyone, I'm booing this anti-racist gesture that takes 5 seconds and has absolutely no impact on me, not because I'm racist but because I'm deeply concerned about the political ideology of the wider BLM movement"

Yeah okay mate. Whatever.

I personally wouldn’t boo, altho I can empathise with those who do. Regardless of how you spin it, the gesture has negative connotations for many of us: last summer’s attack on the cenotaph, police officers cowing to rampaging mobs, Churchill’s monument being defaced, being lectured to about privilege and so on.

The fact of the matter is that it’s an inherently political gesture. It ultimately seeks to pressure government policy (ergo, it’s political) and revolves around this perceived ‘groundbreaking’ epistemological issue of our time (race relations in the UK). It’s inflammatory and unnecessary.

It’s poor behaviour. Anyone who thinks highly paid footballers are making political points rather than demanding equality needs to have a quiet word with themselves.

On a side note heard a good few FTP add ons on Sunday! Ffs are some people just determined to do our club and support harm!?!

The players have stated many times that they do it to promote racial equality. I don't know how many more times it needs to be stated.

Do folk honestly believe that the players want to overthrow capitalism? I can't wrap my head around some of the replies on this thread tbh. If you boo any of our players for taking the knee, then you're a scumbag. Quite simple really. You're the prick with an insidious agenda, not them.
It’s mental that some people think Tav , Leon , Glen ect are part of a Marxist plot to take over the world !

I find it very disheartening that despite repeated words over and over from our players that this is about fighting for racial equality and nothing to do with marxism, defunding the police etc, we still have a section of the support who think they know better than them.

Much like the "I'll sing what I want" mob, I will never wrap my head around what those supporters think they're achieving,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back