Booing of our players taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASCIIDK

Not a thread that I was planning on making but it's something that's been on my mind since attending the friendlies at the weekend.

I was disappointed in a small minority of our fans this weekend with their reaction to our own players taking the knee. To hear boos around the ground due to this gesture promoting equality is a PR disaster for the club waiting to happen. The taking of the knee as many of our own players have come out and said is nothing to do with any political movement but about equality.

Can I ask, if you did boo - what were your reasons for booing? Is it a case of you think it is the BLM political movement you are showing displeasure at, instead of the reasons our players have stated? Is it something else entirely that I am missing.

I did think the players were stopping the knee due to Glen Kamara being racially abused so I was slightly surprised to see it return.

Can't get my head around the booing at all. After everything that happened with Kamara in particular. Surely people aren't stupid enough to swallow this "cUlturAl mArXisT!!" red pill nonsense? Half the squad are devout Christians and the other drive Lambos!

Those at the Arsenal game who decided to boo, you decided your first interaction with the players who secured 55 was to boo them. No matter what your opinion on taking the knee is, surely that wasn't the time or place to voice it?

I don't have any strong opinion on taking the knee, and I also don't want to limit freedom of expression of those booing it (although I'd rather they didn't), but 55 meant a lot to me and I really wish people could have at least waited a while before expressing their disagreement with it.

Rangers made a great statement last year on this issue and these folk. It'd be good of them to do it again before Saturday (if we can get the ballot sorted first)

Back the players or stay away from Ibrox. Very simple.

Its 2021, we are seeking to be a modern & diverse institution off and on the pitch.

These folk who attach themselves to Rangers and act in this way only damage our club.

Rangers made a great statement last year on this issues and these folk. It'd be good of them to do it again before Saturday (if we can get the ballot sorted first)

Back the players or stay away from Ibrox. Very simple.

Its 2021 these folk who attach themselves to Rangers and act in this way only damage the club.

I don't quite agree with this though. Booing isn't a hate crime. This isn't in the same category as racist or sectarian abuse. There aren't really any legitimate mechanisms in place to exclude fans on the basis of them booing.

I do agree that the club should get ahead of the story and address it though, and I'd encourage fans booing to try and find a more constructive and nuanced way to express their dissatisfaction that (hopefully) acknowledges they are anti-racist. That could be a banner discouraging political gestures at football, or whatever. Not for me to second guess the reasoning behind the boos.

I don't quite agree with this though. Booing isn't a hate crime. This isn't in the same category as racist or sectarian abuse. There aren't really any legitimate mechanisms in place to exclude fans on the basis of them booing.

I do agree that the club should get ahead of the story and address it though, and I'd encourage fans booing to try and find a more constructive and nuanced way to express their dissatisfaction that (hopefully) acknowledges they are anti-racist. That could be a banner discouraging political gestures at football, or whatever. Not for me to second guess the reasoning behind the boos.
Certainly not a hate crime. I agree.

The negative connotations that come with booing the knee just emboldens those who seek to hammer us. Why give them the ammo? (Although that's not the main issue)

This must be one of the most diverse squads in our history and given what Kamara went through its so disheartening to hear booing at something that is very important to our players.

I do agree, find some other way to protest but does it really offend folk that much they can't back our team for 30 seconds? Do they really need to protest our team? Our captain? Etc

Mind boggling.

This simply needs to stop. Anyone booing is a clown. You aren’t booing a cause, you aren’t booing some nonsense about Marxism or any other mental nonsense you believe it to represent. You are booing a Rangers player.

it’s a small minority but one that brings shame to the club.

This simply needs to stop. Anyone booing is a clown. You aren’t booing a cause, you aren’t booing some nonsense about Marxism or any other mental nonsense you believe it to represent. You are booing a Rangers player.

it’s a small minority but one that brings shame to the club.

Great to see an Admin on here adding his voice to this.

I'm an irregular listener to H&H, is this something fan media could address @David Edgar

You have a powerful voice in the support.

Edit: apparently was addressed

Last edited:
After what Kamara and the club had gone through with the last European game, you'd think these people would know better, shame on them. If you can't stand the sight of the gesture and you feel the need to boo then quite frankly you shouldn't be at Ibrox.

I would of liked to of blamed the pre season bams you used to get. But obviously can't due to how the tickets are handed out just now.

Agreed but when does the token gesture stop or is it in football forever now?
Does it matter when? Conor Goldson played more than 8,000 minutes of football last year for Rangers. If he “took the knee” for 5 seconds a game then he still spent less than 3 minutes in total doing so. Would it matter a jot if it was here forever?

Or, given that racism persists, would you prefer some other small ”token gesture” of protest against it? what do you suggest the players do instead? Or should they just not do or say anything at all?

The players stopped “taking the knee” last season after Slavia. Anyone know why they started again?

It’s a shame that BLM hijacked it. Personally would rather see our players stand in a line together. Would be more symbolic. Booing your own team only sends a negative message.

Don’t get the folk booing especially after the Kamara situation.

Either support the players or shut up and stay silent for the 5 seconds. I will be applauding the players any time they take the knee when I’m at Ibrox.

I think its utter nonsense and whatever spin its given to push it into everyday life, it is abs political and from the most horrendous woke of places.

That said in terms of Rangers I wouldnt boo the players, Ive never booed a Rangers player for anything even when theyve been utterly useless.
Exactly follows my thoughts.
I'd never boo our players either.

What about treating everyone equally?
Instead of calling a Rangers fan a moron though or making our black and other ethnic players feel bad.
Why wouldn't the club organise a sit down with someone who feels the need to boo and the captain or Glen and have them each explain their thought process and feelings.
Finished off with a joint chat for the camera.
If it can be done in a reasonable and responsible manner it doesn't need to be a negative experience for anyone involved.

I'd suggest that's one of the main reasons morons will boo.
If you're no going to engage and interact with folk and their thoughts and feelings.
But just bark that they are morons and scum, you're not going to change anything.

This is exactly where the whole issue should be addressed.

This in spades,

Taking the knee (the act itself) is controversial, if it wasn't then we wouldn't need to have this conversation. It comes from a certain spectra of left wing indentity politics which people don't like and completely disagree with. I'd go as far to say that it's the act itself being booed and not the players.

This is a 'don't you get it' argument that is unwinnable because people for and against feel so strongly about it.

The 'Just STFU and accept it' mantra is clearly not the answer though.

If you don"t like BLM or the gesture that's totally fine. But the booing I just don't get. If the players believe in the cause or the gesture who are any of us to criticise it?

Well done for starting the thread OP, I have been thinking along the same lines since Sunday.
Like I’ve said on another thread, this is a squad of legends and they should be supported and made to feel as comfortable as possible at Ibrox. Balogun was praising the club and management on how we dealt with the Kamara incident, and it would be a shame if it was the supporters who undone all that good work.

I'd suggest that's one of the main reasons morons will boo.
If you're no going to engage and interact with folk and their thoughts and feelings.
But just bark that they are morons and scum, you're not going to change anything.

This is exactly where the whole issue should be addressed.

But we're second guessing. We don't know why people are booing. They're booing cause I suggested that the debate on the future of tackling racism in sport requires a different debate to the one specifically on Rangers fans booing their own players. I doubt it.

Whether you agree with the reasoning for "taking the knee" or not, to boo Rangers players for doing so is unacceptable after what Glen Kamara encountered earlier in the year. Whatever the reason for booing while players are doing this, please stop as the narrative will be anti Rangers for sure. Any excuse to paint us in a bad light.

The booing was idiotic. Just stand in silence for a few seconds, it’s not difficult.

I do think the gesture has now lost any meaniningful effect it may have had though.
At first, it was observed by every team and every player. Then we had certain black players saying it was just a token gesture. We then had the whole Glen Kamara episode and the Rangers players rightly decided to ‘make a stand’ with some players stating that taking the knees was a total waste of time now.

Now we are back taking the knee again.
It turned into a farce against Real Madrid because their players clearly weren‘t expecting it and the wide player on the Main Stand side started running into our half, only to have to sheepishly return to his initial position while the taking the knee took place.

But we're second guessing. We don't know why people are booing. They're booing cause I suggested that the debate on the future of tackling racism in sport requires a different debate to the one specifically on Rangers fans booing their own players. I doubt it.
So instead of suggesting this isn't the forum for that debate. Why not ask if anyone on here booed at our players and their action, and why?
And ask them what they feel were the positives of booing that outweighed the negatives...?
Not suggest it's swept under the carpet while the rest of us tell them they are brain dead and scum.
If you want to stop a guy from booing, taking away any other platform to comfortably explain his issue and abusing him is hardly the way to do it?

I can't begin to understand why someone would boo our players.
But I can't understand why rich black and white lads would continue to perform a gesture hijacked by arseholes, and just as I wouldn't dream of abusing our players for what I may see as a misguided gesture, why should I then abuse fellow fans, even if their action is even more misguided (in my opinion)

I wouldn't boo any team taking the knee. However I do think it has no place in football.
I don't have any problem with a different gesture being made by players but anyone who believes taking the knee is not politically motivated has not been listening.
To claim the players are doing it for a different reason of just supporting our black players is most likely correct, but that doesn't address the fact why it will always split the room.
And for others on this thread telling people to STFU, that's really helpful ehh.

This is why people do it. I very much doubt people were booing the players themselves. But it doesn’t look good, and the players won’t like it. That’s reason enough not to do it in my eyes. Support your team or let someone else have the ticket(s).

Yeah and then only some people can feel uncomfortable about it, maybe stand together and everyone can get behind the gesture?

If people think this is just going to be isolated to our fans by the way, they will have to mute the mics for TV up and down the country.

Or maybe because Madrid players didn't take the knee.

This is going to lead to fighting in the stands IMO. When I heard some boos at the Real game I instinctively said out loud ‘oh F off with the booing’, and I’m pretty sure a couple of boys in front of me had been doing it.
How anyone can have taken in the Kamara episode and watched Goldsons interview about it and boo is beyond me. No matter your thoughts on it as a gesture, these are people we profess to adore, but you can’t keep your trap shut for less than a minute?

The booing was clearly audible on TV, so I'd imagine there are a high number of people that are opposed to the gesture.
Where are they, if they are bold enough to boo in the company of thousands, where are they now with their defence or point of view for their actions.

Yeah and then only some people can feel uncomfortable about it, maybe stand together and everyone can get behind the gesture?

If people think this is just going to be isolated to our fans by the way, they will have to mute the mics for TV up and down the country.

Not all clubs had their players go through what Kamara did last season though, it was a minority but for even 1 of our fans to think its justified to boo our players, and it is our players they’re booing it can’t be dressed up any other way, its an absolute embarrassment and they are nothing but arseholes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back