Booing of our players taking the knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone there was a season ticket holder. That means the club have their contact details. I'd suggest an email and SMS reminding fans of their responsibilities and a quick reminder that booing your own, especially following Slavia, is as moronic as it is unacceptable.

I genuinely couldn't believe it when I heard it on Saturday.

You listen to big Leon on the beautiful game pod and shiver with shame that a % could destroy that positivity amongst our squad.

We've got to nip this before it becomes a cancer.

Absolutely scunnering to hear.

They’ll hide behind pretending its because taking the knee means something else, when to our players all it means in being against racism.

Its been said, but morons and scum is correct. Nobody wants to get in to a debate with someone who cant shut the %^*& up for a grand total of 5 seconds whilst our players gesture against racism.

Clearly think they are bigger than our club, as they’re willing to drag it down to the dumps for their views.

I don't quite agree with this though. Booing isn't a hate crime. This isn't in the same category as racist or sectarian abuse. There aren't really any legitimate mechanisms in place to exclude fans on the basis of them booing.

I do agree that the club should get ahead of the story and address it though, and I'd encourage fans booing to try and find a more constructive and nuanced way to express their dissatisfaction that (hopefully) acknowledges they are anti-racist. That could be a banner discouraging political gestures at football, or whatever. Not for me to second guess the reasoning behind the boos.
I find the whole bending the knee thing pathetic. What was wrong with just keeping with the 'SHOW RACISM THE RED CARD' message?
However it is an absolute certainty that if a section of our support boo it, it will only have a damaging reaction against the club especially from the Scottish Mhedia that will lap it up for all its worth.
It could also have an adverse affect on some of our players.
Do Rangers fans really want this?
No one is being asked to cheer or applaud it. Only to sit in silence for approximately five seconds.
Is this such a difficult thing to do?

We have a feelgood factor at the club. Let's keep it that way.

Certainly not a hate crime. I agree.

The negative connotations that come with booing the knee just emboldens those who seek to hammer us. Why give them the ammo? (Although that's not the main issue)

This must be one of the most diverse squads in our history and given what Kamara went through its so disheartening to hear booing at something that is very important to our players.

I do agree, find some other way to protest but does it really offend folk that much they can't back our team for 30 seconds? Do they really need to protest our team? Our captain? Etc

Mind boggling.
I support the players doing this so will never boo them - but if I didn’t support them , I wouldn’t boo - if the folk that are can’t see what will be the outcome of this they must be stupid .
1 . It will piss off our players
2. Watch how our reaction is compared to Celtc fans & think how they will react to this act ?

Absolutely scunnering to hear.

They’ll hide behind pretending its because taking the knee means something else, when to our players all it means in being against racism.

Its been said, but morons and scum is correct. Nobody wants to get in to a debate with someone who cant shut the %^*& up for a grand total of 5 seconds whilst our players gesture against racism.

Clearly think they are bigger than our club, as they’re willing to drag it down to the dumps for their views.
I heard it on Sunday. It was clear as day. Not from anyone around me but from different parts of the stadium.

It’s embarrassing and attention seeking by the people booing. I personally think taking the knee is an empty gesture now but I’d never dream of booing the players doing it.

Everyone has to maintain Rangers reputation. If the players wish to do this it’s a personal choice.
There will be too many on the outside ready to throw muck in the clubs direction .
As a “support” we shouldn’t give them reason.

Last edited:
The bams were out in force at the weekend.

If you don’t agree with it, just be quiet for 10 seconds. Especially after our own players being victims of racial abuse recently.

I don’t think taking the knee is the way forward after a year. It has become routine rather than a statement but its obviously a team decision to carry on doing it. It must be important to some in the squad. Those 10 seconds don’t affect me.

It’s an absolute embarrassment. Unfortunately the club attracts a % of knuckled draggers that you will never change
Will happen at practically every ground in the UK this season I'm afraid. I think it’s pretty pointless and don't agree with BLM movement on most things but if the players want to do it , it's up to them. Booing is a poor show

The importing of American politics and all the gestures that go along with it has only served to hinder race relations in this country IMO.

That being said, it's clear the players aren't doing it for any other reason than to highlight racism; I agreed with Goldson last year that it was an empty gesture as well so I'm surprised we're still doing it.

I can't imagine what people think they'll achieve by booing it though. It's just stupid, no matter what reason you have for it.

It'll end up with fighting in the stands.

Basically, if you'd rather boo and embarrass the club, as opposed to shutting the f**k up for no longer than 5 seconds, then you're an attention seeking arsehole.

There would be more than a few that don't agree with process, but remained silent because they have respect for our football club and how Rangers would be portrayed in the press.

But we're second guessing. We don't know why people are booing. They're booing cause I suggested that the debate on the future of tackling racism in sport requires a different debate to the one specifically on Rangers fans booing their own players. I doubt it.
I’d guess the booing is of the ‘taking the knee’ stance and not what it stands for in inequality. The ones who booed didn’t boo Rangers players specifically.

When Rangers players used to hold up Show Racism The Red Card cards before games, there was not a single boo, but all round applause.

I’d guess the booing is of the ‘taking the knee’ stance and not what it stands for in inequality. The ones who booed didn’t boo Rangers players specifically.

When Rangers players used to hold up Show Racism The Red Card cards before games, there was not a single boo, but all round applause.
they absolutely did boo Rangers players. That’s the reality of what they did.

even worse, they booed black Rangers players who have clearly explained why they are doing this, and have been the victims of racist abuse.

Came across really badly watching on RTV. God only knows what Kamara was thinking of it.

Just need to call it out if we encounter it at the stadium this season.

Unless the offender is 13 stone and looks like he goes to the gym on a regular basis, in which case just mutter under your breath at them.

Not a thread that I was planning on making but it's something that's been on my mind since attending the friendlies at the weekend.

I was disappointed in a small minority of our fans this weekend with their reaction to our own players taking the knee. To hear boos around the ground due to this gesture promoting equality is a PR disaster for the club waiting to happen. The taking of the knee as many of our own players have come out and said is nothing to do with any political movement but about equality.

Can I ask, if you did boo - what were your reasons for booing? Is it a case of you think it is the BLM political movement you are showing displeasure at, instead of the reasons our players have stated? Is it something else entirely that I am missing.

I did think the players were stopping the knee due to Glen Kamara being racially abused so I was slightly surprised to see it return

Everyone there was a season ticket holder. That means the club have their contact details. I'd suggest an email and SMS reminding fans of their responsibilities and a quick reminder that booing your own, especially following Slavia, is as moronic as it is unacceptable.

I genuinely couldn't believe it when I heard it on Saturday.

You listen to big Leon on the beautiful game pod and shiver with shame that a % could destroy that positivity amongst our squad.

We've got to nip this before it becomes a cancer.
Are they really booing the players or are they booing the action and the organisation synonymous with the action? Last season the players stated they would now take a stand against racism. What is it to be, a stand against or a subservient kneel? In my opinion Rangers actions in supporting Glen Kamara and the fact that so many persons of colour have a role to play in our squad says so much more than the 'taking of a knee'. Furthermore far from bringing people closer together the kneeling appears to create further division amongst people. As far as I am concerned racism and sectarianism can all go to hell but under no circumstances would I personally take a knee or be apologetic for who I am or for where I have come from. If that makes me a cancer then I feel sorry for your intolerance to those who have a different opinion you yours. I think that is called bigotry is it not? No to all forms of bigotry and censorship is my simple message.

This simply needs to stop. Anyone booing is a clown. You aren’t booing a cause, you aren’t booing some nonsense about Marxism or any other mental nonsense you believe it to represent. You are booing a Rangers player.

it’s a small minority but one that brings shame to the club.

Correct - free speech should be banned - you don’t rate Jack Simpson? Tough - it’s been mandated by the team that he’s great.

So no booing or groaning or moaning ever - your elders and betters have decided what’s best for you. Dissent will not be tolerated.

I was there on Sunday and just knew this would happen so remained clapping to try and drown it out, same way England fans done at the euros

I don’t think it has a place anymore as the message clearly hasn’t got through however if it’s important to my players then I will back them

Not a thread that I was planning on making but it's something that's been on my mind since attending the friendlies at the weekend.

I was disappointed in a small minority of our fans this weekend with their reaction to our own players taking the knee. To hear boos around the ground due to this gesture promoting equality is a PR disaster for the club waiting to happen. The taking of the knee as many of our own players have come out and said is nothing to do with any political movement but about equality.

Can I ask, if you did boo - what were your reasons for booing? Is it a case of you think it is the BLM political movement you are showing displeasure at, instead of the reasons our players have stated? Is it something else entirely that I am missing.

I did think the players were stopping the knee due to Glen Kamara being racially abused so I was slightly surprised to see it return.
Well done to the OP for posting this and getting the needed debate started.

they absolutely did boo Rangers players. That’s the reality of what they did.

even worse, they booed black Rangers players who have clearly explained why they are doing this, and have been the victims of racist abuse.
No they didn’t fs.

Whether the team like it or not that act is intrinsically linked to BLM. If they simply changed it to a banner or something else it gets rid of most of the problem straight away.

I also think a small part of it is that people are being sick of told how racist they are constantly, in one of the least racist countries in the world. The vast majority of this online abuse is directed from fake bot accounts, from outside the country.

Even if you believe in the act itself, it has lost any meaning being before every single match, powerful meaningful images don't happen 60 times a year. You will never get rid of racism, but if you rightly want to speak out about it, do it in a powerful way that gets everyone on board, this BLM stuff is toxic.

Correct - free speech should be banned - you don’t rate Jack Simpson? Tough - it’s been mandated by the team that he’s great.

So no booing or groaning or moaning ever - your elders and betters have decided what’s best for you. Dissent will not be tolerated.
Aye because that's the same thing.

As others have stated, and in my opinion also, it's not acceptable to boo our players taking the knee.

Support the players -- particularly our black players -- who have delivered well for the club and are continuing to do so.

It's that simple for me.

Last edited:

I did think the players were stopping the knee due to Glen Kamara being racially abused so I was slightly surprised to see it return.
Just don’t do it, it’s associated with an extreme Marxist group. It’s that simple. Show you virtue signalling another way. It’s not rocket science.

I wouldn't boo any team taking the knee. However I do think it has no place in football.
I don't have any problem with a different gesture being made by players but anyone who believes taking the knee is not politically motivated has not been listening.
To claim the players are doing it for a different reason of just supporting our black players is most likely correct, but that doesn't address the fact why it will always split the room.
And for others on this thread telling people to STFU, that's really helpful ehh.

That's right... you think it has no place in football. The players clearly disagree, both opinions are perfectly valid.

We are trying to find right and wrong in an argument that is entirely non binary.

I would encourage everyone who has a strong opinion on either side to be respectful of other folks views and not boo them/verbally abuse them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back