Article Book Review - Rangers In The Black & White Era

mdingwall

Administrator
Here’s a selection of the pictures - they are badly cropped and have had the flash from the camera kept on them deliberately.

The picture of the ground with the red flag in it is Kilmarnock - Killie v Rangers and present that day was USSR premier Kosygin.

The picture of the ground with the red flag in it is Kilmarnock - Killie v Rangers and present that day was USSR premier Kosygin.

I was at that game. Couldn't see a f.uckin thing apart from the occasional "lift-up" from my dad and his mates. Place was packed.
I remember every Sunday paper had a pic of Kosygin being presented to the players on their front page the next day.
Looking forward to my copy.

The author is clearly a proper old school scottish football man, a real gentleman and scholar!

It is quite depressing to realise that you're old enough to ponder that when growing up, photos of your heroes only came in black and white and you had to wait for the fortnightly trip to Ibrox to get your Evening Citizen souvenir colour poster.

Looks great, I bought the Rangers in Russia book not that long ago and the photos in that were immense, will probably buy this also.

My copy came through the door about 40 minutes ago so I've just had time to skim through it. But what a fantastic book it is. Many of the photos are from games you never see images from today, and even those that are from well-remembered games are from different angles. The photo of Colin Stein's Championship winning header at Easter Road in 1975 is from the other side of the goal, so it's the Main Stand in the background and not that massive terracing we're all used to seeing. The photo of Prince Philip meeting Scot Symon on the Ibrox pitch with the Royal Navy helicopter he's just landed in in the background is stunning (I never even knew this happened) and there's so much more that's new to me.

Sometimes you see a book that promises a lot but doesn't deliver. This one does, and more.

The picture of Ronnie McKinnon clearing snow, his old house (lawrence)
looks identical style to my house.
Does anyone know where it was?(maybe Southside)
Looks a great book, the old black and white pictures are the best.

I have photographs of that game in my 1967/68 scrapbook - the late Alex Willoughby (fellow Springburn man) scoring.

Will order the book.

The picture of Ronnie McKinnon clearing snow, his old house (lawrence)
looks identical style to my house.
Does anyone know where it was?(maybe Southside)
Looks a great book, the old black and white pictures are the best.

Think it was southside.

Wife just got me this book for my crimbo. Absolutely fantastic ! Thoroughly recommended. Fantastic photographs. The one on page 272 with Willie Waddell in action showing the vastness of Hampden is breathtaking.

Read your post and was going to grumble a pic would be nice, its christmas so I didn't.
Opening presents later there was the book went straight to that page and yes cracking image.

I got it too and it is fantastic.
I sat for an hour earlier looking through it.
Brilliant present :)

Had a flick through it last night, pictures are fantastic. Could you imagine thousands of bears on the runway at Glasgow airport waiting on the plane coming to a standstill today. Mental.

My daughter got me it via Santa.

Too much going on in the house today to get into it.

The back cover though had me transfixed.

Struth and Baxter.

My old man was a Struth man, through and through.

Growing up he'd tell me about his discipline, his authority, of how no one dictated to The Rangers. The dress code etc.

Who was his favourite player? The ultimate maverick that was Jim Baxter.

Talk about ying and yang?

I'll be enjoying this book.

Already a thread on it mate, lots of folk appear to have gotten it, myself included , seems very popular , i just skimmed it briefly , looking forward to sitting down later and enjoying it, seems quite impressive.

My daughter got me it via Santa.

Too much going on in the house today to get into it.

The back cover though had me transfixed.

Struth and Baxter.

My old man was a Struth man, through and through.

Growing up he'd tell me about his discipline, his authority, of how no one dictated to The Rangers. The dress code etc.

Who was his favourite player? The ultimate maverick that was Jim Baxter.

Talk about ying and yang?

I'll be enjoying this book.

Bought this for my Grandmother. Managed to get a brief look before wrapping it, looks a cracking collection.

Excuse my ignorance but where could I purchase this?
Cheapest place I saw it was WHSmith online at £15, there was thread here advertising and selling them

Its 320 pages of unreleased black and white pics with a few wee stories added to give more insight, I've spent an hour looking through my copy, I would suggest you buy one.

Freely available online , Amazon, WHSmith, Dc Thomson etc

My Son got me a copy as well , and today I started leafing through it,strangely the leaf opened on page 92 ‘The first game after 2nd of January, I was at both games and have such bitter sweet memories of both.
Some things never ever leave you - or indeed heal.

My Son got me a copy as well , and today I started leafing through it,strangely the leaf opened on page 92 ‘The first game after 2nd of January, I was at both games and have such bitter sweet memories of both.
Some things never ever leave you - or indeed heal.
Plenty good pics in the book, but I had a tear in my eye looking at the disaster pics especially the funeral one from Fife.

Just had a brief look through and the content is superb..Going to read this properly when I've got time. Id like to see a follow up book to this ,running from the mid 80s to the present day

purchased this a few weeks back, some great old photos and the text and storylines tell our story well enough, the author, although not a rangers fan has been professional and gracious in setting our clubs story alongside the photographic history

Back