Boom or Bust

I don’t think many will criticise Gerrard for not winning the league in his first season but given the financial advantage he has over every other team that sits below us the improvement domestically has been minimal give or take a few league games.

A year old we were miles behind the yahoos and trophyless now we we are still miles behind the yahoos and trophyless, that’s not an improvement considering we had a budget far bigger than any team we played in both cups and made 1 semi and quarter final. Those performances and results have zero to do with how much money the yahoos have.

I just don’t see how he turns this around he won’t be getting any vast transfer funds so he either needs to change tactically or make sure what money he does have is spent well. Given current evidence I can’t see either changing.

I also think things might get worse as the season goes on now as our loan players won’t care and the bottlers in our team already look like they want away on holiday.

I hope he turns it round I just don’t think he is good enough to at this point in his management career.

I think you’ve highlighted the keys to success.

Firstly, the board needs to ensure Gerrard is given more money net than he saw last summer. If Alfie and Tav are sold, then there should be a pretty decent sum available.

Secondly, Allen and Gerrard need to locate better calibre players with that money. They need a much improved window than they’ve had so far.

And thirdly, Gerrard himself needs to look at different approaches rather than just hoping 4-3-3 will come good.

It’s a big ask all round, but it’s far from impossible.

If we manage it all, I’m still confident we can enjoy a better season next year.

Our 9IAR destroyed their heads.

Their current success is doing the same to us if we're honest.

Ibrox must be a horrible place to play right now.

I like to validate my ideas with numbers or something that backs it up but in this case I think it'd take too long to do it and I'm happy just to pose the idea. This is one of the hardest clubs in the world to play for. If you think that every league in every country has between 12 and 20 teams, only 2 or 3 of them (at most) are generally expected to win every single week and their fans go mental if they don't. Add in the current financial gap between their squad spending and ours, I think that are our fans are expecting an unrealistic amount from them. When we were playing in this league and country from an even playing field, we'd only win the Scottish Cup on average once every four years. Fans being utterly defeated and defeatist at this stage of the season because of an 8 point gap is utterly useless.

I

Absolute horse buckey.

The way you're describing it you could be forgiven for thinking we were in some helter skelter group of death cup ties in Europe and at home against top of the range fair.

It's been anything but.

The reason we are watching a flop shop is because by and large the duds on the park are exactly that. Duds.

I'd keep the goalie, Morelos and Kamara as first choices.

The rest can fight for the scraps.

I was making a point in reply to the OP’s post where he said that the number of games players have played may have had an affect on their performances. The analogy I used I have experience of, working extended hours over a period and I can confirm it is hard on the body and the mind.
Two examples:
Connor Goldson played 32 games during the period 2015 - 18. He has played 43 times for us in just over 9 months.
Ryan Kent played 16 games during the 17/18 season and has played 36 times for us.
None of our players have played high level games previously so your argument about high intensity group games is moot. I’m quite sure Ryan Kent’s application and energy expended against Kilmarnock yesterday was up with anything he experienced with Bristol City or Freiburg last season.
By the time the season ends our most heavily used players will be not far off the number of games of the 2008 UEFA Cup squad, who mainly did have previous experience of many and high intensity games and were therefore better prepared to cope with them. And we know that squad was running on empty toward the end, as has been discussed on here often.
Respectfully, to say that taking the number of games as a possible factor for poorer performances recently is horse buckey is itself horse buckey.

So many of the support are obsessed with stopping 10IAR at the detriment of long term stability.

There’s been some progress this season.
It maybe hasn’t been as marked as we would have liked, especially after the big positives in the first half of the season, but it’s progress nevertheless.

I think the title might still be a bit beyond us next season too, but if we can get closer still, we then stand a good chance of really going for it the season after that.

That’s more like the reality of the thing for me, but this way of thinking is complete anathema for many of our supporters and it threatens to kill us if we give into it.
Agree with most of this.

I felt it was time to go for a tried and trusted manager after experiments with Warburton and Pedro.

Expecting Rangers to win the league in Gerrard's first few years as a manager was unrealistic, and that's one of the main reasons I was surprised he was selected for the job.

I am fully behind Gerrard but to me his selection was an indication that the board weren't looking for a quick fix to stop 9 in a row. It would therefore be a shame if he was hounded out at the end of next season for not providing a quick fix.

Obviously Gerrard can't get a free pass and needs to show progress is being made, but he is going to remain an inexperienced manager for a number of years yet. Player selection will be his best chance of covering for his managerial naievity, or get a more experienced assistant in beside him such as someone like Alec Miller.

10IAR means nothing to me. I want Rangers to win every single game but it may take sacrificing the short term to lay the foundations for a long and successful future.
No one in the rest of the world, indeed rest of Scottish football gives a shit about 10IAR.
We should concentrate on being the absolute best we can be and the rest will take care of itself
I can see this becoming more and more commonplace amongst the support. Once the penny drops we can’t stop 10 then we’ll be bleating about not caring because we weren’t there for 4 or 5 of them. Sigh

I was making a point in reply to the OP’s post where he said that the number of games players have played may have had an affect on their performances. The analogy I used I have experience of, working extended hours over a period and I can confirm it is hard on the body and the mind.
Two examples:
Connor Goldson played 32 games during the period 2015 - 18. He has played 43 times for us in just over 9 months.
Ryan Kent played 16 games during the 17/18 season and has played 36 times for us.
None of our players have played high level games previously so your argument about high intensity group games is moot. I’m quite sure Ryan Kent’s application and energy expended against Kilmarnock yesterday was up with anything he experienced with Bristol City or Freiburg last season.
By the time the season ends our most heavily used players will be not far off the number of games of the 2008 UEFA Cup squad, who mainly did have previous experience of many and high intensity games and were therefore better prepared to cope with them. And we know that squad was running on empty toward the end, as has been discussed on here often.
Respectfully, to say that taking the number of games as a possible factor for poorer performances recently is horse buckey is itself horse buckey.
One big difference is:
2007/2008 was an unforgettable season full of memories and getting to a European final
2018/2019 has been an utter disappointment and yet another barren season that most can’t wait to end

He has put together a squad that should have
won our league going away this season.
Now he has to learn how to manage said squad.

We have made big improvements since last year, no doubt about it. I'd focus on quality rather than quantity in the next window. For example, 8 million plus anything from Alfie that we can spare being put towards 2 players who have proven themselves as good Europa league players. We have the basis of a decent squad. Celtic's 3 last minute winners and 3 last minute equalisers against us being reversed sees us top of the league. All ifs and buts, i know, but the margins are slim...and we weren't saying that last year.

14 games v Aberdeen, Killie and Hibs, 2 wins. All on a budget they can only dream of. But don't worry we're making progress. My arse. But bury your head in the sand by all means

We have made big improvements since last year, no doubt about it. I'd focus on quality rather than quantity in the next window. For example, 8 million plus anything from Alfie that we can spare being put towards 2 players who have proven themselves as good Europa league players. We have the basis of a decent squad. Celtic's 3 last minute winners and 3 last minute equalisers against us being reversed sees us top of the league. All ifs and buts, i know, but the margins are slim...and we weren't saying that last year.

More than two players are required.

Worral gone, need a LB, creative mid, another Centre mid,two wide players, a striker (maybe 2)

I disagree, i think your attitude is why we won't get anywhere. Its basicallly an acceptance of mediocrity and hope of a better tomorrow.

The reality is much different, we are in a position resource wise in which we should be competing for cups and league titles. We certainly should not be losing or drawing at home to the likes of Aberdeen or Kilmarnock regularly.

Whichever way you want to look at it, new manager, new players we have under performed. Thats the cold hard reality.

Steven Gerrard may be the right man but he has to learn quickly as he's let us down.

To compare what goes on at Aberdeen, Kilmarnock or Hibs with the expectancy that comes with being at Rangers is mental. You're playing football on a balance sheet which we know is always not the case.

For the first time in 20 years, Rangers at least have a clear strategy. We can see what they're trying to do and it gives me far more encouragement that it will succeed than seeing us take a short-term view of filling the side with 'names' from a bygone era on big bucks fooling ourselves with the notion we're still a big draw for players like we were 30 years ago.

I disagree, i think your attitude is why we won't get anywhere. Its basicallly an acceptance of mediocrity and hope of a better tomorrow.

The reality is much different, we are in a position resource wise in which we should be competing for cups and league titles. We certainly should not be losing or drawing at home to the likes of Aberdeen or Kilmarnock regularly.

Whichever way you want to look at it, new manager, new players we have under performed. Thats the cold hard reality.

Steven Gerrard may be the right man but he has to learn quickly as he's let us down.
Sadly too many bears are accepting mediocrity now. It’s been so long since we’ve won a trophy that we actually aren’t used to winning any more. Winning, at all costs and by any means, is part of what makes Rangers - Rangers.

The attitude of “at least we have a club to support” is not befitting the standards of Rangers.

Whats happening now is exactly what I and some others predicted would happen when we were put to the bottom league.

A long process involving several different managers and squad overhauls to get back to the top. An impatient support getting fruatrated due to unrealistic expectations.

To think some people, lots of people even, actually wanted to voluntarily take that option.

Mental.

This current team would wipe the floor with Warburtons team. We are improving, but its taking time.
Honestly, do you think that winning a trophy is unrealistic expectations? We’ve been back in the league since 2016 and have been papped out cups left, right and centre and seen NO finals since. We needed to lift silverware this season. We failed.

Honestly, do you think that winning a trophy is unrealistic expectations? We’ve been back in the league since 2016 and have been papped out cups left, right and centre and seen NO finals since. We needed to lift silverware this season. We failed.

It would be great yes.

However we have went long periods without winning either cup through our history as well.

I think the worst result in the cup in the last 3 years was Motherwell at hampden.

Obviously losing both to Aberdeen this year is disappointing, however we have a serious issue against the sheeps tactics that IMO needs improvements in players rather than our approach to playing them.

More than two players are required.

Worral gone, need a LB, creative mid, another Centre mid,two wide players, a striker (maybe 2)
Yes, in an ideal world. The reality is, it won't happen. If we spent 10 million this year, i d like to see a maximum of 3 players brought in.

So many on here and in the wider Ranger support ready to rip it up and start again. So used to winning trophies even in the lower leagues that they cant deal with the disappointment following results like ones we've encountered recently.

Celtic started building their team in 2009 when Brown signed with Rogic a few years after. Both players were rotten at 1st look but look at what they became in time. The current squad they've put together since cost them £50m not to mention the millions theyve squandered on the ones that didnt work out. Stevie G has spent about 8-9million and has had 2 windows and 9months to construct a side able to compete with celtic, be able to deal with pressures of playing for Rangers and to have a winning mentality which obviously takes years to build

In his first 9 months he's got us 8points clear of 3rd, group stages in europe, money in the bank, made morelos a top player, bettered our goals for tally, massively improved our defensive stats and the small matter of beating celtic at home for the first time in 7 years.We have only lost 8 games in 52 but despite all this the knives are out.

Goldson who was an absolute class act getting rave reviews when he 1st came in had played 36 games in 5 years and had a huge lay off due to a serious heart condition yet we've got supporters saying hes not good enough because his forms dipped after playing 42 games in 9months

Tavs got more goals and assists combined than anyone else in the league yet the support are hounding him because he's temporarily gone off the boil

Same goes for the likes of Arfield, Jack and Candeias. They are burnt out having played 50 games in a season for the first time in their life.

Majority of this squad are good enough. Gerrard is a capable manager and with the experience of his 1st season and another window or two will go on to do very well for us. He needs money, time and above all patience from the boom or bust Rangers fans out there who demand the very best and are ready to chuck toys out the pram the minute they dont get it.

Get behind Gerrard and his players because with celtics rebuild of a summer we've got some chance to be challenging them from the very start or we could sack everyone and start from scratch because thats been working well for us of late
Sensible post OP. Totally spot on.

Its not nonsense.

Davis has been miles off the pace.

McCrorie doesnt use the ball well enough, and with all due respect, is doing nothing against a 10 man defence.

Katic has had family issues. Not sure if thats why he hasnt played. Also pretty sure Gerrard got slated earlier in the season for rotating the defence.

Coulibaly and Davis played yesterday, created nothing and gave the ball away lots. They are big downgrades on Jack and Arfield.

They might be downgrades but it does not alter the fact that Jack and Arfield are not good enough to take us forward!

Back