Boom or Bust

Govanfrnt

So many on here and in the wider Ranger support ready to rip it up and start again. So used to winning trophies even in the lower leagues that they cant deal with the disappointment following results like ones we've encountered recently.

Celtic started building their team in 2007 when Brown signed with Rogic a few years after. Both players were rotten at 1st look but look at what they became in time. The current squad they've put together since cost them £50m not to mention the millions theyve squandered on the ones that didnt work out. Stevie G has spent about 8-9million and has had 2 windows and 9months to construct a side able to compete with celtic, be able to deal with pressures of playing for Rangers and to have a winning mentality which obviously takes years to build

In his first 9 months he's got us 8points clear of 3rd, group stages in europe, money in the bank, made morelos a top player, bettered our goals for tally, massively improved our defensive stats and the small matter of beating celtic at home for the first time in 7 years.We have only lost 8 games in 52 but despite all this the knives are out.

Goldson who was an absolute class act getting rave reviews when he 1st came in had played 36 games in 5 years and had a huge lay off due to a serious heart condition yet we've got supporters saying hes not good enough because his forms dipped after playing 42 games in 9months

Tavs got more goals and assists combined than anyone else in the league yet the support are hounding him because he's temporarily gone off the boil

Same goes for the likes of Arfield, Jack and Candeias. They are burnt out having played 50 games in a season for the first time in their life.

Majority of this squad are good enough. Gerrard is a capable manager and with the experience of his 1st season and another window or two will go on to do very well for us. He needs money, time and above all patience from the boom or bust Rangers fans out there who demand the very best and are ready to chuck toys out the pram the minute they dont get it.

Get behind Gerrard and his players because with celtics rebuild of a summer we've got some chance to be challenging them from the very start or we could sack everyone and start from scratch because thats been working well for us of late

Last edited:
Said it before when this team clicks it plays some of the best stuff I’ve seen since Ecks 4-3-3. Second half against Rapid for example where we went for their throat after yet more shit decisions leading to their offside goal.
They just need a bit more to click consistently, be a bit more bold and brave, maybe a bit more common sense or bravery from the dugout (like yesterday) to change it at the right time, and more than anything to be refereed fairly - no one can argue we’ve not lost a lot of points (and players) due to dog shit refs.

Players like Arfield, Jack and Goldson have been playing with injuries for months. Its hampered their performances, however we don't have adequate replacements.

We need upgrades to the squad. I'm sure they will come.

Players like Arfield, Jack and Goldson have been playing with injuries for months. Its hampered their performances, however we don't have adequate replacements.

We need upgrades to the squad. I'm sure they will come.

That's nonsense. We have Katić, McCrorie, Davis. More than adequate replacements for those three, throw in the managers signing in Coulibaly.

To many fail to see we have had to build from scratch in seven years since administration and in most of that time we were owned by a shower of crooks that were bleeding the club dry.i keep referring to it but in his very first press conference the manager didn’t promise miracles and everything would be rosy in the garden and their would be bumps in the road and set backs.he was never going to sort out the mess of a squad he inherited in one season.while like every supporter I would have liked a cup or indeed the league.if come the end of the season we finish second and coupled with the achievements in Europe(despite his critics in here rewriting history and trying to make it look like it wasn’t much of an achievement)I’ll be satisfied with this season.

That's nonsense. We have Katić, McCrorie, Davis. More than adequate replacements for those three, throw in the managers signing in Coulibaly.

Its not nonsense.

Davis has been miles off the pace.

McCrorie doesnt use the ball well enough, and with all due respect, is doing nothing against a 10 man defence.

Katic has had family issues. Not sure if thats why he hasnt played. Also pretty sure Gerrard got slated earlier in the season for rotating the defence.

Coulibaly and Davis played yesterday, created nothing and gave the ball away lots. They are big downgrades on Jack and Arfield.

Our 9IAR destroyed their heads.

Their current success is doing the same to us if we're honest.

Ibrox must be a horrible place to play right now.

10IAR means nothing to me. I want Rangers to win every single game but it may take sacrificing the short term to lay the foundations for a long and successful future.
No one in the rest of the world, indeed rest of Scottish football gives a shit about 10IAR.
We should concentrate on being the absolute best we can be and the rest will take care of itself

Its not nonsense.

Davis has been miles off the pace.

McCrorie doesnt use the ball well enough, and with all due respect, is doing nothing against a 10 man defence.

Katic has had family issues. Not sure if thats why he hasnt played. Also pretty sure Gerrard got slated earlier in the season for rotating the defence.

Coulibaly and Davis played yesterday, created nothing and gave the ball away lots. They are big downgrades on Jack and Arfield.

Goldson, Arfield and Jack have been poor on numerous times through out the season.

Both have been playing with injuries yet still get selected. There are options there and up until yesterday, we've not used them.

All three are regulars in a team that's had a poor domestic season.

Goldson, Arfield and Jack have been poor on numerous times through out the season.

Both have been playing with injuries yet still get selected. There are options there and up until yesterday, we've not used them.

All three are regulars in a team that's had a poor domestic season.
All 3 are our best options for the positions.

We arent going to get better results playing inferior players.

10IAR means nothing to me. I want Rangers to win every single game but it may take sacrificing the short term to lay the foundations for a long and successful future.
No one in the rest of the world, indeed rest of Scottish football gives a shit about 10IAR.
We should concentrate on being the absolute best we can be and the rest will take care of itself
You should give a shit about 10 in a row because if it happens you will never hear the end of it.

You are absolutely correct OP.

I beleive the number of games we have played is having a big effect on the team. It's the equivalent of being used to working a 40 hour week then having to do 60 hour weeks for months. It's OK at first but it soon wears you down.

I
You are absolutely correct OP.

I beleive the number of games we have played is having a big effect on the team. It's the equivalent of being used to working a 40 hour week then having to do 60 hour weeks for months. It's OK at first but it soon wears you down.

Absolute horse buckey.

The way you're describing it you could be forgiven for thinking we were in some helter skelter group of death cup ties in Europe and at home against top of the range fair.

It's been anything but.

The reason we are watching a flop shop is because by and large the duds on the park are exactly that. Duds.

I'd keep the goalie, Morelos and Kamara as first choices.

The rest can fight for the scraps.

Our 9IAR destroyed their heads.

Their current success is doing the same to us if we're honest.

Ibrox must be a horrible place to play right now.

So many of the support are obsessed with stopping 10IAR at the detriment of long term stability.

There’s been some progress this season.
It maybe hasn’t been as marked as we would have liked, especially after the big positives in the first half of the season, but it’s progress nevertheless.

I think the title might still be a bit beyond us next season too, but if we can get closer still, we then stand a good chance of really going for it the season after that.

That’s more like the reality of the thing for me, but this way of thinking is complete anathema for many of our supporters and it threatens to kill us if we give into it.

Last edited:
To many fail to see we have had to build from scratch in seven years since administration and in most of that time we were owned by a shower of crooks that were bleeding the club dry.i keep referring to it but in his very first press conference the manager didn’t promise miracles and everything would be rosy in the garden and their would be bumps in the road and set backs.he was never going to sort out the mess of a squad he inherited in one season.while like every supporter I would have liked a cup or indeed the league.if come the end of the season we finish second and coupled with the achievements in Europe(despite his critics in here rewriting history and trying to make it look like it wasn’t much of an achievement)I’ll be satisfied with this season.

Spot on. We didn’t have to build only a team but rebuild the whole club. King has done well we are on the right track.

Patience is what we need.

So many on here and in the wider Ranger support ready to rip it up and start again. So used to winning trophies even in the lower leagues that they cant deal with the disappointment following results like ones we've encountered recently.

Celtic started building their team in 2009 when Brown signed with Rogic a few years after. Both players were rotten at 1st look but look at what they became in time. The current squad they've put together since cost them £50m not to mention the millions theyve squandered on the ones that didnt work out. Stevie G has spent about 8-9million and has had 2 windows and 9months to construct a side able to compete with celtic, be able to deal with pressures of playing for Rangers and to have a winning mentality which obviously takes years to build

In his first 9 months he's got us 8points clear of 3rd, group stages in europe, money in the bank, made morelos a top player, bettered our goals for tally, massively improved our defensive stats and the small matter of beating celtic at home for the first time in 7 years.We have only lost 8 games in 52 but despite all this the knives are out.

Goldson who was an absolute class act getting rave reviews when he 1st came in had played 36 games in 5 years and had a huge lay off due to a serious heart condition yet we've got supporters saying hes not good enough because his forms dipped after playing 42 games in 9months

Tavs got more goals and assists combined than anyone else in the league yet the support are hounding him because he's temporarily gone off the boil

Same goes for the likes of Arfield, Jack and Candeias. They are burnt out having played 50 games in a season for the first time in their life.

Majority of this squad are good enough. Gerrard is a capable manager and with the experience of his 1st season and another window or two will go on to do very well for us. He needs money, time and above all patience from the boom or bust Rangers fans out there who demand the very best and are ready to chuck toys out the pram the minute they dont get it.

Get behind Gerrard and his players because with celtics rebuild of a summer we've got some chance to be challenging them from the very start or we could sack everyone and start from scratch because thats been working well for us of late

Brown signed for celtic in the summer of 2007.

The two teams we struggle the most against is Kilmarnock and Aberdeen. Drawing them both in both cups has been hard luck. Different draws could have us taking an entirely different view on the season.

Not excusing results against them of course, however we have had no luck at all.

I agree with a lot of the points but the rank and file will not accept the current situation-that's the part that won't change.

We've arguably not been through the worst of this season-the two major Scottish trophies are still to be claimed. It's one thing admitting it it's another living through it.

The end of the season is crucial to SG's standing with the fans and he will get one more window before the calls for a replacement become the majority voice.

The club haven't helped the situation the constant talking up of where we are and undermining of Warburton etc in public cements the idea we should be further ahead than we are-I think SG has done very well but there has to be concerns about aspects of how we go up a level both in his ability to change a game (a massive part of a manager's job) and the club's overall signing strategy.

If we don't go up a level or two quickly there will be a major inquest on everything because the OP is in the minority and I agree with him. The chances of SG getting the time required to do the job are limited albeit not impossible.

I agree with a lot of the points but the rank and file will not accept the current situation-that's the part that won't change.

We've arguably not been through the worst of this season-the two major Scottish trophies are still to be claimed. It's one thing admitting it it's another living through it.

The end of the season is crucial to SG's standing with the fans and he will get one more window before the calls for a replacement become the majority voice.

The club haven't helped the situation the constant talking up of where we are and undermining of Warburton etc in public cements the idea we should be further ahead than we are-I think SG has done very well but there has to be concerns about aspects of how we go up a level both in his ability to change a game (a massive part of a manager's job) and the club's overall signing strategy.

If we don't go up a level or two quickly there will be a major inquest on everything because the OP is in the minority and I agree with him. The chances of SG getting the time required to do the job are limited albeit not impossible.
Some on here thought we could win the league or Scottish cup when we were in the 3rd division and went mental when we were knocked out of them.

Some on here thought we could win the league or Scottish cup when we were in the 3rd division and went mental when we were knocked out of them.

We're Rangers that's how it is.

Part of that is Celtic are always more shite than they actually are and in my opinion the gap between us and them has never been fully accepted. We've beaten them once in what 13 games? That's practically unprecedented in OF history and a clear marker for where we are.

We're Rangers that's how it is.

Part of that is Celtic are always more shite than they actually are and in my opinion the gap between us and them has never been fully accepted. We've beaten them once in what 13 games? That's practically unprecedented in OF history and a clear marker for where we are.

Whats happening now is exactly what I and some others predicted would happen when we were put to the bottom league.

A long process involving several different managers and squad overhauls to get back to the top. An impatient support getting fruatrated due to unrealistic expectations.

To think some people, lots of people even, actually wanted to voluntarily take that option.

Mental.

This current team would wipe the floor with Warburtons team. We are improving, but its taking time.

I don't think we have spent anything near 8 or 9 million more like 2 or 3 million. Most of our signings are free or loan players. Next season we have to get more quality to win the league.

Celtic started building their team in 2009 when Brown signed with Rogic a few years after. Both players were rotten at 1st look but look at what they became in time. The current squad they've put together since cost them £50m not to mention the millions theyve squandered on the ones that didnt work out. Stevie G has spent about 8-9million and has had 2 windows and 9months to construct a side able to compete with celtic, be able to deal with pressures of playing for Rangers and to have a winning mentality which obviously takes years to build

Stop being sensible it will never catch on

Whats happening now is exactly what I and some others predicted would happen when we were put to the bottom league.

A long process involving several different managers and squad overhauls to get back to the top. An impatient support getting fruatrated due to unrealistic expectations.

To think some people, lots of people even, actually wanted to voluntarily take that option.

Mental.

This current team would wipe the floor with Warburtons team. We are improving, but its taking time.

This is the key point.

The time it’s taking, indeed the time it was probably always going to take (and we’re still not there yet), just isn’t acceptable to a lot of supporters.

They just don’t appear able to get their heads around the gap between us and the Beasts -what it is, why it exists and the realities and practicalities involved in bridging it - and it threatens to keep crashing every new attempt at doing so.

Of course there is a very real possibility that Gerrard just isn’t the guy for us, but it’s still way too early to be making that call.

I don’t think many will criticise Gerrard for not winning the league in his first season but given the financial advantage he has over every other team that sits below us the improvement domestically has been minimal give or take a few league games.

A year old we were miles behind the yahoos and trophyless now we we are still miles behind the yahoos and trophyless, that’s not an improvement considering we had a budget far bigger than any team we played in both cups and made 1 semi and quarter final. Those performances and results have zero to do with how much money the yahoos have.

I just don’t see how he turns this around he won’t be getting any vast transfer funds so he either needs to change tactically or make sure what money he does have is spent well. Given current evidence I can’t see either changing.

I also think things might get worse as the season goes on now as our loan players won’t care and the bottlers in our team already look like they want away on holiday.

I hope he turns it round I just don’t think he is good enough to at this point in his management career.

No, the problem is with the employment of rookie managers in the first place.

I'd be willing to give managers time if I felt that there was a chance or high probability of success at the end of that.

We are in a position where, yet again, we are taking a gamble on Gerrard being good enough to bring us success. We had to do the same with Ally, Warburton, Pedro and Murty.

The "give him time" stuff is fair enough. Appointing an inexperienced manager and allowing him to have that time is getting very, very tiring.

I don’t think many will criticise Gerrard for not winning the league in his first season but given the financial advantage he has over every other team that sits below us the improvement domestically has been minimal give or take a few league games.

A year old we were miles behind the yahoos and trophyless now we we are still miles behind the yahoos and trophyless, that’s not an improvement considering we had a budget far bigger than any team we played in both cups and made 1 semi and quarter final. Those performances and results have zero to do with how much money the yahoos have.

I just don’t see how he turns this around he won’t be getting any vast transfer funds so he either needs to change tactically or make sure what money he does have is spent well. Given current evidence I can’t see either changing.

I also think things might get worse as the season goes on now as our loan players won’t care and the bottlers in our team already look like they want away on holiday.

I hope he turns it round I just don’t think he is good enough to at this point in his management career.

We arent miles behind. We are 5 or 6 goals behind.

No i'm not buying it. We have a budget bigger than Hibernian, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen combined. These teams often have to rebuild their squards when they lose their best players. Now look at our record vs them.

We should be doing better, much much better. Anything else is just poor excuses.

No i'm not buying it. We have a budget bigger than Hibernian, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen combined. These teams often have to rebuild their squards when they lose their best players. Now look at our record vs them.

We should be doing better, much much better. Anything else is just poor excuses.

That attitude being prevelant throughout the support will never get us anywhere

Its not demanding high standards, its just stupid.

I will never forget the feeling of utter despair when we were nearly finished, we were being battered from pillar to post and from the very bottom of the leagues we have battled back to playing in Europe and beating c3ltic, it will take more than 2 transfer windows to build a title winning team and we will have a few ups and downs on the way and we have the right people in place to take us there, i'am definitely not happy at dropping silly points to the likes of killie, motherwell, and Dundee but thank god we still have Glasgow Rangers, we will 55 and we will do it the right way. #55

Good post.

That attitude being prevelant throughout the support will never get us anywhere

Its not demanding high standards, its just stupid.
I disagree, i think your attitude is why we won't get anywhere. Its basicallly an acceptance of mediocrity and hope of a better tomorrow.

The reality is much different, we are in a position resource wise in which we should be competing for cups and league titles. We certainly should not be losing or drawing at home to the likes of Aberdeen or Kilmarnock regularly.

Whichever way you want to look at it, new manager, new players we have under performed. Thats the cold hard reality.

Steven Gerrard may be the right man but he has to learn quickly as he's let us down.

I disagree, i think your attitude is why we won't get anywhere. Its basicallly an acceptance of mediocrity and hope of a better tomorrow.

The reality is much different, we are in a position resource wise in which we should be competing for cups and league titles. We certainly should not be losing or drawing at home to the likes of Aberdeen or Kilmarnock regularly.

Whichever way you want to look at it, new manager, new players we have under performed. Thats the cold hard reality.

Steven Gerrard may be the right man but he has to learn quickly as he's let us down.

Nope. My attitude is realistic.

I'm with you and I am behind Gerrard to, but this is the 3rd successive year without any progress and the same old pass it side ways style of play! I think our first team is full of squad players who shouldnt be anywhere near the first team. I really do hope the board invest in 2 or 3 high quality players to add that "magic" that the squad is so clearly in need of!

couldn't agree more with your points - nice to read a sensible post on here for once!

The one that gets me is the idea that we should be scudding Aberdeen etc because we spend more than them, yet the same people who use that line expect us to topple Celtic even though they spend over double what we do.

Surely we can’t have it both ways?

The one that gets me is the idea that we should be scudding Aberdeen etc because we spend more than them, yet the same people who use that line expect us to topple Celtic even though they spend over double what we do.

Surely we can’t have it both ways?

Of course not, but attitudes like that probably wouldn't be allowed to foster if most of us treated the appointment calmly and sensibly in the first place.

Back