Boozer next to Kelvingrove Art Gallery?

Brewdog doesn't show fitba, folks.

Gallus or Bag O' Nails do and are both 5 mins away on Dumbarton Rd.

Bag o nails is rubbish. Full of yuppie types, preferred it when it was the partick tavern.
Was in it last sat afternoon. Really decent boozer great atmosphere and live band on. Defo not yuppie types. Also been in it after gers games and is mainly blue

Was in it last sat afternoon. Really decent boozer great atmosphere and live band on. Defo not yuppie types. Also been in it after gers games and is mainly blue

Agreed, really good boozer. Not a Rangers pub but there's always bears in it in match day.

Don't normally do this but I'm getting dragged out against my will tomorrow. Wife and kids going to Kelvingrove. Agreed with her that I can piss off for a couple of hours to see the game on TV. Where's the nearest that isn't an IRA shop?
Bag o nails or go to brewdog who have good internet and watch on phone!

My fave place is Kelvingrove. However it's going to be a beautiful sunny day... So why walk about indoors? My wife mentioned to me yesterday about going shopping today.... I just gave her a stare.

Seriously? There are about 20 pubs within walking distance. Auctioneers must be the most overrated pub on here. Convinced it's only folk who've been recommended it in the lounge who drink in it.

Was in today as I was visiting a relative who is in the Royal Infirmary. Excellent pub great selection of beers and food and the pub was 80% bears rest in were tourists watching Man City. I’d go back if I was down again and a game was on.

Was in today as I was visiting a relative who is in the Royal Infirmary. Excellent pub great selection of beers and food and the pub was 80% bears rest in were tourists watching Man City. I’d go back if I was down again and a game was on.
Always intrigues me when people say 70%, 80 %, 99% Bears. Do you take a head count ?

S
At £1.50 A can, you are right,going to order my Bentley as soon as the season finishes;)
In all seriousness, I go into Coias Cafe on Duke Street and I think it is £2.25 a bottle of Coke. I was in buying rolls in Georgie Pordgies on Brand street and was charge £1.40 a can to carry out.
How much is a can in the pubs in the town?

S
In all seriousness, I go into Coias Cafe on Duke Street and I think it is £2.25 a bottle of Coke. I was in buying rolls in Georgie Pordgies on Brand street and was charge £1.40 a can to carry out.
How much is a can in the pubs in the town?

That's why I drink beer, you do do a cracking pint of Staropramen :D

I non't drink alcohol as a rule, so I try and make sure it is served the way it is meant to be, Clean Pipes,Clean Dry Glass and at the right temperature. After that it up to you

You do a bloody good job mate, still amazed you manage to do it all from your Super-Yacht in the Bahamas mind you.

It's been a long time since I was up that way I usually drink along Partick but it was a cracking pub.

Loved drinking in Stirling Castle in the 80's as well as it's sister pub The Overflow which was directly across the road from it - the selecton of real ales available was fantastic. Was always under the belief that an ex Ranger (can't remember the name, perhaps only got as far as the reserves) owned the pubs.

Bag o nails is rubbish. Full of yuppie types, preferred it when it was the partick tavern.

Absolute nonsense. I am in regularly and it has a wide variety of people. It will come as a great surprise to the 50-70+ year old people who are in early Friday and Saturday evening to discover they are yuppies. The age group gets younger as the evening goes on but it still has a very varied clientele.

Oh and the Patrick Tavern was a truly dreadful place. An utterly charmless soul-less pub of the type owned by the brewers or Punch taverns.

You are shitting me? they have Estrella Galicia!! fk me been trying to get this ever since I came back from Spain a few months ago. /bow - thank you.

Also get it in Cubatas
Elderslie Street behind Mitchell Library.

My favourite lager.

Absolute nonsense. I am in regularly and it has a wide variety of people. It will come as a great surprise to the 50-70+ year old people who are in early Friday and Saturday evening to discover they are yuppies. The age group gets younger as the evening goes on but it still has a very varied clientele.

Oh and the Patrick Tavern was a truly dreadful place. An utterly charmless soul-less pub of the type owned by the brewers or Punch taverns.

To be fair to the taverns previous owners, at least they filled in the hole in the ceiling above the pool table...been in bag o nails a couple of times, it's nice inside and clearly a lot of money and effort has went into it but it doesn't quite do it for me.

Loved drinking in Stirling Castle in the 80's as well as it's sister pub The Overflow which was directly across the road from it - the selecton of real ales available was fantastic. Was always under the belief that an ex Ranger (can't remember the name, perhaps only got as far as the reserves) owned the pubs.

I left Glasgow in "78 but frequented the pub when I was in that area not long after it opened.

In the NEWS 1979...

Here's to the Special Blend That Makes A Perfect Pub...

At your service...David Main mine host of the Stirling Castle and The Overflow. 1979.

How David Struck GOLD under a tenement...

David Main drives a blue Rolls-Royce, DM 55, with the satisfied air of a man who paid £10,000 for a squalid little drinking den 16 years ago and turned it into a gold-plated tavern.

An instinctive publican, with the shrewd eyes of an accountant, he formed an idea then alien to Glasgow drinkers that pubs should be more than stand drink and fall howfs.

His idea became the Stirling Castle, corner-wedged under tenement at the back of the Kelvin Hall, a potpourri of fine food, rich carpets, warmth, real ale, and groomed staff picked for eagle-eyed attention.

Surveying his creation, David admitted: "A good pub is summed up in a four-letter word... work, and a little imagination. But I must be honest. Sixteen years ago I never thought it had that much potential.

All we wanted to do was make it a better pub than it was. "We started with pie and peas, but soon we gradually expanded. I just felt that comfort and food were becoming more and more important as drinking habits changed.

"It's not enough to have a bar any more you've got to have something else, an image, carpet on the floor, food, music, something different. The spit and sawdust has gone, the new laws helped all that, and people are travelling more, seeing different ways of drinking.

The hard drinker will never change, he'll just drink, but the rest are changing, have changed." David Main, now 55, went into the pub business because he couldn't stand and carpets to people on hire-purchase.

He had a dream of cash over the counter, instant service for instant cash, a pub was the only business. Eighteen months ago, in a move the trade said was insane, he bought and re-vamped the pub across the road. He wryly christened his new baby "The Overflow," and reproduced a composite English Pub. A 1970s version of London's turn of the century ill met by gaslight inns.

DIFFERENT

"Everyone thought we were mad to go into competition with ourselves," laughed David. "But I'm not that daft. We had to create something entirely different to the Stirling Castle, a different look different food. So we went for the English idea.

Salads, ploughman's lunches, salamis, open sandwiches, again we went for food, that's our mark. We get a lot of students in here now, a younger, different clientele to the Stirling Castle and it's gone through the roof, it's amazing."

Across the road, a mixed pin-striped suited bag of lawyers, doctors, architects spill in and out of the lounges and the public bar. Thousands of pounds have been raised for charity in the public bar. Added David: "Just before Christmas we had a quick collection and we gave every old-age pensioner living round here, not customers only, a half-bottle of whisky, a tin of biscuits, and a £5 meat voucher for the butcher's. That's what it's about.

"The customers has to be all-important, whether you feel like it or not you have to say "Yes, sir,' 'no, sir,' three bags full, sir. And after them come a good staff, they make the pub. They back you up all you back them up.

"A good publican needs to mix, make friends with the customers, make them feel welcome. I love that, love doing the mine host bit."

Grabbing menus listing everything from mussels to T-bone steaks show his food standards. David whirls round: "See you've got to give things back to the customers. This business has given us everything we've got.

"We've worked hard for it, but it's certainly given me, especially in recent years, a much better standard of living and the chance now not to work as hard as I did."

Back