Born This Day 1956 - Davie Cooper

Bedfordshire Bear

"I played for the team I loved"

- Davie Cooper

"God gave Davie Cooper a talent. He would not be disappointed with how it was used."

- Walter Smith

"And when people asked me later on 'Who were the best players that you've met and played against?', then Davie Cooper was one of them."

- Ruud Gullit

So many great memories of watching Davie Cooper. A joy to watch. The theme tune, "It's a Kind of Magic" on the tribute to him was a fitting reflection of his skill

One of the great advantages of being my age is that I had the absolute privilege of seeing Davie Cooper all the way from the unknown Clydebank winger who tortured John Greig in a series of League Cup ties, right through his career at Ibrox and then again as an opposition player.

He was inconsistent for years in a poor team, he only had ability in one foot, he wasn't particularly quick, he didn't win many tackles and heading wasn't his strong point.

But he was quite simply the most naturally gifted genius of a football player I have ever seen play in our league. Not just a left foot that could almost make a ball talk, not just an ability to bamboozle defenders, but a football brain to match that saw things others couldn't.

And one of us into the bargain.

A hero to my generation, and his passing was one of the few times in my adult life that I cried.
But the memories he gave me will live with me as long as I breathe.

I'll never forget when I heard, I was at my Grans funeral and the news came through, even in that situation it brought everyone even further down!

One of the great advantages of being my age is that I had the absolute privilege of seeing Davie Cooper all the way from the unknown Clydebank winger who tortured John Greig in a series of League Cup ties, right through his career at Ibrox and then again as an opposition player.

He was inconsistent for years in a poor team, he only had ability in one foot, he wasn't particularly quick, he didn't win many tackles and heading wasn't his strong point.

But he was quite simply the most naturally gifted genius of a football player I have ever seen play in our league. Not just a left foot that could almost make a ball talk, not just an ability to bamboozle defenders, but a football brain to match that saw things others couldn't.

And one of us into the bargain.

A hero to my generation, and his passing was one of the few times in my adult life that I cried.
But the memories he gave me will live with me as long as I breathe.
I remember hearing about his passing on the evening news I was inconsolable.
A Rangers Legend.

"I played for the team I loved"

- Davie Cooper

"God gave Davie Cooper a talent. He would not be disappointed with how it was used."

- Walter Smith

"And when people asked me later on 'Who were the best players that you've met and played against?', then Davie Cooper was one of them."

- Ruud Gullit
He was a Brazilian trapped in a Scotsman’s body - Ray Wilkins.
God Davie, how we still miss you. Happy Birthday wherever you are
A Legend, rated a Legend, by other Legend's.

There was a lovely anonymous floral tribute left at the grave today. I have a photo but I’ve no idea how to post it, despite getting instructions from Mark.

Back