Borna’s Defending seems to have improved since Gio came in

Coisty09

Official Ticketer
It’s been noticeable to me that the form being shown by Borna, especiallyhis defending, has improved markedly since Gio and his team have come in.
He seems to have recovered the solidity in his tackling and is standing up much better when under pressure.
It was noticeable that both him and Tav managed to block crosses coming in much more today than we’ve seen for a long time.
And, of course, with both of them staying further back we are not being caught with counterattack sucker punches.

It was mentioned before the game how after the 3-1 mess at Hampden we now look a bit more reserved with regards to marauding wing backs. BB and JT look more focused on defending and playing it forward/into danger areas. If these two can stop the crosses and passes coming in from the wings then that helps our overall game massively imo. The amount of goals we concede from these areas must be a fairly high %.

Tend to agree, he looks like he's got a bit of confidence back.

All we need now is for him to produce some of those goal scoring free kicks again, then we'll have the old Borna back...

Improved from what? Their early season form this year? Yeah, without a doubt. It wouldn’t be hard.

Bar Morelos & Davis for me.
Yes, from form to date this season. Think a change of manager, in hindsight, might work out best for all parties

Agree. Great to see him getting tight, trying to win the ball and putting in a few blocks.

Maybe with his lack of fitness the way he had to play before screwed him a bit, with the new system he doesnt need to attack half as much allowing him to concentrate his energy on defending.

Best game he has had, good to see him play through this dip and hope he pushes on.

I think he was working his way back to fitness, Gerrard was maybe asking a bit too much of him.
Considering Bassey's performances, he was adequate cover, and SG probably should've given Borna more time before throwing him in.
As usual, we had a bunch of FF posters writing him off after a few average performances, wanting him punted for buttons. Borna's a class act, hope he's here for a few more years.

Last edited:
His defensive side of the game has improved immensely I know it’s only 4 games but there is a genuine difference

It’s almost as if we were so blinded having them maurading that we ignored tightening it up and building again from gerrards reign

That a vast part of our gameplan was dependant on borna and Tav having great games and constant crosses

Every part of his game was much improved today. He looked sharper, faster and hungrier to get forward. Passing was spot on and a few good crosses into the box. The fact he even took a shot on from open play, that was decent, shows an much better attitude and that he's feeling good. An on form Barisic is an amazing thing to have.

No doubt it was his best game so far this season.......
But Dundee are really pish so want to see him carry this form on.

Last edited:
I have noticed him and Tav don't cross as much. The still get into good positions now and again, but it's more controlled.

They are far more liable to recycle the ball and wait for a good opening, rather than just get to the byline and cross the ball.

Is it fair to say almost all players have improved (so far) under Gio?
There’s definitely signs of improvement and I think conference is a big part of that.

For me the whole squad has been looking like they all lacked confidence for months, only with a couple of exceptions like Aribo especially. Possibly little niggly injuries to some as well like Borna. Kent and Jack need to feel their way back in again.

Hopefully others will follow with the feel good factor like Hagi. We’re certainly looking like we’re starting to click again.

I'm loving the way we are putting different balls into the box, some nice low crosses & cut backs, causing defenses all kinds of problems. If that had been Gerrard in charge every single cross would have been child's play for Fontaine

It’s been noticeable to me that the form being shown by Borna, especiallyhis defending, has improved markedly since Gio and his team have come in.
He seems to have recovered the solidity in his tackling and is standing up much better when under pressure.
It was noticeable that both him and Tav managed to block crosses coming in much more today than we’ve seen for a long time.
And, of course, with both of them staying further back we are not being caught with counterattack sucker punches.
Totally agree 100 percent.

I feel his effort could never be questioned, he has been recovering fro a pretty bad injury and is looking more like himself.

Never hides including Hibs pumping.

Loves being a Ranger and not as valued by the fans as he should be.

Onwards and upwards Borna.

Legit watched him head the ball more since Gio joined than his entire time under Gerrard.

Demands ‘innit.

Do A/B/C or sit next to me on the bench.

Both my boy and myself had him down for man of the match - no quibbles with Joe getting it though.

Looks like the pressure not to get in advance positions so far forward has resulted in him being under a lot less pressure and hes having more time to play his role within the parameters set by the coaches.

Back