Borna’s Defending seems to have improved since Gio came in

I felt Borna and one or tw others looked more relaxed today, the level of opponents helped with that , but I thought he was excellent at points today. Will do his confidence the world of good. Whatever has changed it’s working.

Defo, looked a shadow until the switch in managers and almost immediately looks back on it, defensively and getting forward

Maybe with his lack of fitness the way he had to play before screwed him a bit, with the new system he doesnt need to attack half as much allowing him to concentrate his energy on defending.

Best game he has had, good to see him play through this dip and hope he pushes on.
Great point. I think this is near the truth

Big Borna was always one of my favourites, his 'come ahead' gesture to the scum fans was one of the best things I've seen, mad Croat bastard he is. Even when he was off form, it felt like all he needs is a wee change of mentality to get back in the groove again. A lot of players have lacked a vital spark at the start of this season.

It’s been noticeable to me that the form being shown by Borna, especiallyhis defending, has improved markedly since Gio and his team have come in.
He seems to have recovered the solidity in his tackling and is standing up much better when under pressure.
It was noticeable that both him and Tav managed to block crosses coming in much more today than we’ve seen for a long time.
And, of course, with both of them staying further back we are not being caught with counterattack sucker punches.
that was his best game this season

It’s been noticeable to me that the form being shown by Borna, especiallyhis defending, has improved markedly since Gio and his team have come in.
He seems to have recovered the solidity in his tackling and is standing up much better when under pressure.
It was noticeable that both him and Tav managed to block crosses coming in much more today than we’ve seen for a long time.
And, of course, with both of them staying further back we are not being caught with counterattack sucker punches.
Coincidence our new manager was a full back?

On RTV pre match Neil McCann pointed out thaa he and Tav are now going beyond the wingers and when one does the other stays to make a three. Hibs exploited the gaps ar the back we have sorted that hence 3 clean sheets. Gio loves a 'zero'

He’s not getting any younger.

Genuinely think taking a bit of the workload out of his legs by not asking him to go forward ALL the time will help him so much
It's not just any younger, we played a very intense press and fullbacks were asked to constantly bomb forward. It takes a hell of a lot out of you physically regardless of age. Then thrown in all his injuries.

I said the same thing about Tav this new style is suiting him more aswell. They go forward in support and not constantly attacking as the main threat. This also allows them to play more balls through from deep and it's resulting in more attacks and not taxing them as much physically. It also has the added bonus of less mistakes as they aren't knackered and are more switched as they aren't bombing up and down 90 minutes a game.

Borna been struggling with injury and expectation all season. He played an outstanding part in 55 and people expect that level every game..never understood the flack that's come his way. Excellent technically gifted player who niggles have meant a fair few 6/7 out of 10 days rather than all 8/9 last season.

Is it fair to say almost all players have improved (so far) under Gio?
It is the system he is playing. Defenders are defenders first and foremost. Wingers are his width and not his full-backs. Rangers attack with 5 players with 1 sitting midfielder and 2 attacking midfielders. The full-backs can join in on occasion but not every attack. You could see this once when rangers were attacking. Tavernier had played a role in phase 1 but when we had 5 players in the attack Tavernier was seen in the far wing moving back into his defensive position. Under Gerrard he would have stayed high.

Borna has been excellent. His defensive headers in the past few games have really stood out. Physical presence has sometimes been lacking, but he’s definitely thrown his head in recently when there’s been danger at that back post. Long may it continue.

I think we’ve made a few tactical tweaks that’s getting a bit more out of certain beleaguered players and it’s having the extra effect of teams being surprised by us not being the exact same. Could see us going on a decent run. No harm in being flexible though and if the more direct approach down the wings isn’t working then no reason why we can’t have Tav and Borna doing their old job but I’m really enjoying being a bit more solid for certain.

I don't think he had the energy any more to play as high as Gerrard wanted him to and still defend well. Playing a bit deeper under Gio so he's not expending as much constantly going back and forward and it allows him to be quicker getting out to close players down.

My MOTM determination to win every ball was excellent and quality when he had it was great.

He’s got one main fault, and that is he tends to get caught far away from the shy line leaving opposition wingers far too much room, should be further out.

Definitely improved since Gio came in.

It's amazing how a change of manager can highlight the simple things that needed changed that when you're in the middle of it, like Gerrard and Beale were, that they just couldn't see.

Our fullbacks were being pushed far too forward. It created gaps for teams to exploit.
So hold the fullbacks back a bit. A bit more balanced approach. Means less demands on someone like Borna who was perhaps struggling for peak fitness.

Borna's performances over the last few games have improved. However I am not getting carried away with yesterday, it was our best performance for a long time but its Dundee and lets be honest they are pretty shit.

Next Sunday against Hearts away is another real test for this team. If we come through that unscathed then I will be in the belief that we will go into the winter break 7 + points clear of them depending on how they perform in other games.

I noticed against Hibs a slight change in roles but it was much more evident yesterday. It looks like Gio uses the left of the front 3 as a proper hug the touchline winger (Kent against Hibs, Sakala yesterday) and uses Tav as the winger on the right with Hagi shuffling across centrally. Borna then drops into LCM beside Kamara to keep us a tight 2 in there, with Bassey & Goldson staying centrally behind.

We lose out on his delivery but this role seems to suit him more as he was brilliant yesterday.

Latest posts

Back