Borna Barisic in stunning Rangers recovery as left-back ranked in top four Europa League defenders

I would just like to say he was brilliant last night and now has the confidence to go forward with the ball rather than cut inside, i now firmly believe he is going to be a great player for us and i never thought that a month or so ago, i am so glad to be proven wrong and eat my words.

Borna Barisic in stunning Rangers recovery as left-back ranked in top four Europa League defenders
Croatia international was in top form against Feyenoord - something that wasn't missed by UEFA.

Rangers enigma Borna Barisic might finally have announced his arrival at Ibrox after a starring role in Thursday's Europa League victory over Feyenoord.
The left-back has struggled to nail down a starting position under Steven Gerrard since his £2million move from Osijek in the summer of 2018.
Indeed he has spent much of that time watching from the sidelines as the likes of Jon Flanagan and Andy Halliday have been preferred on the left of defence despite that not being their natural position.
What makes Barisic's situation even more curious is the fact he is a first pick in the position for Croatia, who are hardly one of European football's also-rans.
However that could all be about to change on the back of a colossal performance from the Croat against Feyenoord .
Barisic was as strong in defence as he was a threat in attack and his showing was perfectly reflected in the lead-up to Rangers ' winning goal when he thumped into a 50/50 in the middle of the park to set-up Sheyi Ojo for the only goal of the game.

Such was the 26-year-old's impact that he has been named in UEFA.com's top four defensive performers for matchday one of the Europa League group stage.

The statisticians at European football's governing body crunch the numbers to come up with the best performances in each position on a points-awarded basis.
Barisic picked up 1983 points for a display which saw him claim an assist, play his part in a clean sheet and create a total of three chances against the Eredivisie side.
It's a radical turnaround for a player who has often been accused of failing in his defensive duties in his 14 months at Ibrox.

Barisic comes in just after Wolfsberg's Mario Leitgeb, Roma's Aleksandar Kolarov and Anton Nedyalkov of Ludogrets in the rankings.
Steven Gerrard demanded an aggressive performance from his players and he will have been heartened by his left-back's showing as he looks to finally nail down a regular starter in the problem position.
With a massive season ahead both at home and in Europe, Gerrard will be looking for Barisic to step up to the plate and make the position his own.
Welcome to RANGERS Borna

Could having a left footed centre half beside him have helped last night?
Maybe, can’t think of why though.
However, without doubt, the open game played last night suits him.
That there wasn’t upwards of four players in the space he needed to work in, helped him big time.

It was obvious to me that Steve Davis took it upon himself to take Borna “under his wing” last night.

I haven’t noticed it before (quite possibly missed it) but it was clear and obvious last night that Davis was constantly encouraging him. It started in the line up for the Europa song, a small fist pump between each other, instigated by Davis and continued through the game. Great to see. The wee man also had some words of wisdom at the end for Arfield.

Last edited:
Being brutally honest I thought he was a shitebag but his tackle that led to our goal was exactly what I thought he wasn't capable of.Wrong again but I suppose thats the norm.

Looked a different player last night. Was taking on the full back, getting stuck into tackles and won a few headers. Great all around performance and hope he kicks on from here now. Very happy to see this BB!

Showed more passion last night than in the whole time he’s been here. Gerrard seems to be managing him well. Like a lot of players, the Rangers jersey can be a very big jersey to fill. Borna seems to have all the talent in the world to succeed as long as he mentally up for the fight.

Can you tell I watched Ant Middleton on stage a couple of days ago?!:D

#mindovermuscle

Barisic was as strong in defence as he was a threat in attack and his showing was perfectly reflected in the lead-up to Rangers ' winning goal when he thumped into a 50/50 in the middle of the park to set-up Sheyi Ojo for the only goal of the game.

That's being very generous to the Feyenoord player and doing Barisic a disservice. Was more 70/30 and Borna still won the ball.

He was superb.....made the first goal by not shirking from the challenge in the 50:50 a few weeks back he was hesitant in those types of challenges.

Brilliant last night and that is the standards he must now maintain....no one gets near that LB slot if he offers that up week in week out!

Thought Borna was brilliant last night, guy behind me was giving him pelters straight away for not being touch tight to the winger after a switch of flank.........

He managed the game and his overall positioning was good

He seemed to pul up a bit just before half time and looked a bit laboured but seemed fine second half

He played very very well ,IF he can be consistent in the league i'll be won over,but as yet im most definately not ,however i have faith in him ,come on Borna

Still think it will be horses for courses regarding our LB position, I've probably been one of Borna's biggest defenders, But I can see The Manager rotating the position throughout the season, WOuldn't surprise me if Halliday plays on Sunday

No offence to AH but I really hope not.

Was dreadful against Livi.

After winning that tackle to set up the goal, he'll have to be stripped of the 'Barrie McKay - Heart of a Mouse' title that he inherited. Keep up the good work.

He's a very good left back - there is no doubt about that. He should be in our team every week bar injury.

Great performance last night.

Still think it will be horses for courses regarding our LB position, I've probably been one of Borna's biggest defenders, But I can see The Manager rotating the position throughout the season, WOuldn't surprise me if Halliday plays on Sunday
The constant rotation won't help though. We need to rotate throughout the season of course but doing it week in week out helps nobody.

It’ll be a huge mistake from Gerrard if he’s dropped for St Johnstone.
If dropped.?

Let’s see how everybody recovers from last nights match, lot of effort went in.
Backroom team will be checking everybody’s recovery.
There will be changes I have no doubt.

I won't be convinced until the ITK friend of Lee Wallace endorses him.

Delighted with him last night, such an improvement.

Dunno why but I've not been rooting for a player to do well for us as much as Borna for a long time. I think there's a great player in there, if he can turn it on consistently then we are in a much better place than we'd be with the constant Halliday/Flanagan/Borna tinkering.

If I remember correctly, he turned up to pre-season training already one of the fittest in the team so he knows what he's got to do. Great to see him - and us - reaping the rewards.

Absolute class act , anyone would feel aggreived if Andy Halliday and Jon Flanagan,(both playing out of position )were ahead of you .
Not great for the confidence.

I think he far more comfortable playing against European teams than the constant long balls and dirty tackling of the premier league.

It was obvious to me that Steve David took it upon himself to take Borna “under his wing” last night.

I haven’t noticed it before (quite possibly missed it) but it was clear and obvious last night that Davis was constantly encouraging him. It started in the line up for the Europa song, a small fist pump between each other, instigated by Davis and continued through the game. Great to see. The wee man also had some words of wisdom at the end for Arfield.
We noticed that as well. It's also the most vocal that Barisic has been in a game from what I can remember.

Had a great game but still needs help at times on that left when he’s looking for a pass

I think the fact that he played so well with that lack of support you’re talking about says even more about the guy.

I was absolutely delighted for him last night. You could see it as he was walking off that he had got a real lift from that match. He looked as if he was buzzing at the end.

if rangers manage and develop him and he continues to be first pick for croatia, someone in the EPL will take a punt. this type of signing is crucial to our long term viability. we need to be able to profit on players

He’s tailor made for the more cultured European game, not so much for the hammer throwers of Scotland I fear, which is frustrating because everyone knows there’s a real player there.

Too early to say he’s turning the corner, but we live in hope.

Really full of confidence last night, don’t know if anyone noticed at the goal, he was on the overlap and pointing where he wanted Ojo to put the ball, and was raging when he chose to shoot. Obviously turned to delight when the ball went in but at that moment I thought to myself what a difference in Borna this season

Its taken a year.

No cramps. No niggles.

Up and down the pitch for 90 minutes

Even doing it for Osijek his body wasnt standing up to the physical side. He was down with cramp in the round before us.

Delighted for him

The reason we've been so disappointed in Borna is because we expect so much. He was outstanding against us for Osijek and holds down a place for Croatia so we know he's capable.

Gerrard has to give him a run in the team now to build his confidence and momentum.

We're all behind you Borna

Pretty much this. He wasn’t as bad as some would have had us believe but we had such high expectations that he was very disappointing. He was excellent last night and should be given a chance to cement his place.

I actually couldn’t believe what I was seeing last night from Barisic.

He was everything that we’ve expected from him over the past year now.

Fantastic performance. Strong in the tackle, strong in the air and driving forward with the ball at pace. Can’t remember him misplacing a pass also.

the key was the 50/50 cruncher that he won early in the first half
set him up for the whole game and threw the "shitebag" tag out the window

from there he didn't put a foot wrong

Back