Borna Barisic - top player on our hands

RFC_LOYAL

It’s been more stop than start so far, for Borna, in his time as a Rangers player, but boy do I believe we have a top class player on our hands.

To me, it feels like a new signing. We saw how good he was against us for Osijek, then his debut v St Mirren. Backed-up at Motherwell away and his run and cross in Villareal.

I think our attacking prowess will improve tenfold with him and a fit Grezda in front. A really exciting combination to come.

Hopefully his injury concerns are now behind him and he goes on to be a major player for us the rest of the season.

I honestly think if we're playing with an attack minded left and right back, centrally we need to focus our play, not with touchline hugging wingers.

Without the ball it's a 4-5-1 from a 4-3-3 formation and with the ball, the holding central midfielder essentially links the centre backs with a 3-4-3 formation with 2 in the middle, full backs pushing up to midfield creating the width and the skillful "wingers" from the 3 coming inside slightly which depending what side the ball is on is a 3-3-4 or even a 3-2-5 formation.

The key is really the discipline of the midfield trio, particularly the "holding" midfielder not to stray too far from the centre circle.

Well, I hope that's where we're going with this team... cos that would be very exciting.

Or I may of course be talking utter tripe :D

You're wrong. He's shite. They're all shite apaprently.:rolleyes:

He's understandably a bit short of match fitness but you can see the boy has ability. Looking forward to seeing him get up to speed as I think he will be excellent for us. Massive improvement on Flannigan and Halliday - but credit where it's due to Halliday - out of position but gives 100% and has done well this season.

Teams block us down the right hand side to stifle Tav. They won't be able to do that when Barisic is giving us balance down the left. I'm very interested to see what a combination of Barisic and Grezda can offer down the left.

Also thought Osijek's winger Bockaj was excellent too.

According to the papers their is interest in him from Turkey for January window.
Money could talk.
Just hope his head does not get turned wages wise

He needs a run of games now. He can be a bit erratic at defending sometimes but he puts in a great cross and he has the potential to be our left back for years and the type of first team player we need to challenge Celtic.

He looks a good player but we need to have him consistently in the team to see more of him as his Rangers career has been disrupted by injury so hope he can stay fit

If we could double our money on him it would be a no brainer to sell. If clubs are coming in for him after barely playing since arriving it would suggest his agent is looking for a move for him and whoring him out.

Barisic is a class act

I think Gerrard will manage him over next few days though and I expect him to miss Hamilton and play hibs

The 4 games in 10 days are all difficult and he'll be needed to play all 4

Agreed, but he'll probably be dropped for Flanagan on Sunday.
You obviously never heard Gerrard after the game.
He made it clear Barasic & Tav are out full backs.
Barasic has played 2 games in a row and we have Easter Rd & St Johnstone away so it would be common sense to play halliday on Sunday at left back.
Remember Barasic is just back from injury, still finding match fitness.

Thought he did really well yesterday, him and Jack were my contenders for MOM.

Looking forward to seeing how we get on with a settled back four of Barasic-Someone-Goldson-Tav.

If we could double our money on him it would be a no brainer to sell. If clubs are coming in for him after barely playing since arriving it would suggest his agent is looking for a move for him and whoring him out.
A no brainer , really, so you would be happy to get 3 million for a player who could potentially net us 3 or 4 times that in a couple of years?

He just needs more games to settle into the side.

I really think he'll prove to be a very important player for us.

Oh man.

Goss
Coulibaly

Now Borna, let the guy play for 3 or 4 months before dubbing him this and that, because as we've seen with the other two, a dip in form and he'll get it tight, just like the other two.

Patience.

I honestly think if we're playing with an attack minded left and right back, centrally we need to focus our play, not with touchline hugging wingers.

Without the ball it's a 4-5-1 from a 4-3-3 formation and with the ball, the holding central midfielder essentially links the centre backs with a 3-4-3 formation with 2 in the middle, full backs pushing up to midfield creating the width and the skillful "wingers" from the 3 coming inside slightly which depending what side the ball is on is a 3-3-4 or even a 3-2-5 formation.

The key is really the discipline of the midfield trio, particularly the "holding" midfielder not to stray too far from the centre circle.

Well, I hope that's where we're going with this team... cos that would be very exciting.

Or I may of course be talking utter tripe :D
not tripe -I agree we should play narrower up top. I think there's more goals likely from Kent / Grezda cutting inside on their stronger foot and full back providing width. tbf i think that's the way Gerrard sees it and defensive midfielders key to this working from a solid base.

Oh man.

Goss
Coulibaly

Now Borna, let the guy play for 3 or 4 months before dubbing him this and that, because as we've seen with the other two, a dip in form and he'll get it tight, just like the other two.

Patience.
Bit different, Goss was an outcast at QPR and Coulibaly basically the same for Angers.

Barisic has played well at European & International level before joining us.

FF had him as unimpressive and off to Besiktas yesterday.

Weird, weird place at times.

You don’t seriously think it was the same posters who were saying yesterday he is unimpressive that are today saying he’s top quality, do you?

It’s called a difference of opinion and whilst everybody thinks their own opinion is correct having a different one isn’t really “weird.”

I’m in the “looks good but it’s early days” camp.

.....but I’m weird.

im not getting carried away. lets see how he is in 5-10 games..

the general lack of quality in our team makes him stand out more imo

Bit different, Goss was an outcast at QPR and Coulibaly basically the same for Angers.

Barisic has played well at European & International level before joining us.

It's not different at all, both were polished up to be superstars after 3 matches by a considerable amount of people on here, once they slumped they got it tight, I bet that Coulibaly can feel the tension around him from the fans now, opposed to the positivity he must have felt in the beginning of his time with us.

All I am saying is that it could be damaging if he is portrayed as a world beater by the fans already, after one match back after injury.

Let him find his stride, that's it.

It's not different at all, both were polished up to be superstars after 3 matches by a considerable amount of people on here, once they slumped they got it tight, I bet that Coulibaly can feel the tension around him from the fans now, opposed to the positivity he must have felt in the beginning of his time with us.

All I am saying is that it could be damaging if he is portrayed as a world beater by the fans already, after one match back after injury.

Let him find his stride, that's it.
He isn’t portrayed as a world beater, theres plenty rockets on here who have written him off already.

He isn’t portrayed as a world beater, theres plenty rockets on here who have written him off already.

For every 'alleged' fan whos written him off there is one saying he's going to be this and that.

All I am saying is that it could be an idea to give him time to settle and get fit before people start loading expectations on him.

The papers you say
ccording to a claim in the Turkish press, Besiktas are interested in signing Rangers left back Borna Barisic ahead of the January transfer window.

The Croatia international only arrived at Ibrox in the last transfer window but it seems he’s made an impression with the Istanbul club.

Ilke Cancanoglu has claimed on social media that Besiktas are exploring the possibility of signing Barisic, who has been held back by injuries this season.

Besiktas’ current left-back Adriano has been linked with a move away from the club, with Japanese clubs reportedly showing an interest in the former Barcelona player

Could be bullshit but thought I'd mention it.

A no brainer , really, so you would be happy to get 3 million for a player who could potentially net us 3 or 4 times that in a couple of years?
He cost 2 million did he not? You think hes going to be worth 8 millon at the age of 28 but only 2 million at the age of 26?

He could barely pass the ball last night and all of a sudden fans think hes the next Maldini.

We need players of Borna's ability if we are to keep improving. He will prove to be the best left back in the country by a mile.

Last edited:
He cost 2 million did he not? You think hes going to be worth 8 millon at the age of 28 but only 2 million at the age of 26?

He could barely pass the ball last night and all of a sudden fans think hes the next Maldini.
I think he has the potential to be an excellent player for us, he's moved to a new country, new league been hampered by injury and people are writing him off before he's even had a chance to show what he can do. But hey this is FF after a defeat so let's just crucify the guy!

Back