Borna Barisic - top player on our hands

He was our best player last night and yet it was only a few days ago I had to post in defense of him after he was getting criticised on here for being pish. :confused:

At the moment with Arfield our only fit attacking midfielder centrally Barasic allows us to play 2 holding midfielders and not be too defensive. The 2 there will allow Tav and Borna to be more attacking, we do need the wingers on the opposite side to come inside though rather than hug the touchline.

Lots of our support get carried away with saying how good a player is or how they are going to be amazing for us. Or certain players get better the less they play.

He has been here nearly 6 months, injured the majority of it, and has not had a run of games yet to prove if he is as good as we all say he is, or can be. I hope he will be, but sometimes need a bit of perspective especially as hes had hard luck with injury.

Could say the same about Grezda; hes not had a run of games yet and some have already written him off after his miss in the Spartak game. He could be shite or amazing, but needs a run of games as its too early to tell

I think the winter break will help him get to full fitness and sharpness, as will the rest of the new players. They haven’t stopped since July in Europe, a break and some time spent on training will benefit the squad and hopefully we can kick on.

At this early stage you can see he is a powerful lad

His defensive positioning is a little suspect but his ability to make a good cross or pass in tight spaces is second to none

Once Arfield and Buffalo get used to his style of play they will be more dialed in on when and where to make runs and we’ll start seeing the best of him I think.

Don't want to sound like a drama queen, and I know the guys have all been injured too but I feel Katic, Grezda and Barisic haven't had a fair crack at the whip from Gerrard. They know each other, they''ll be talking behind closed doors about their situation, that's only natural. I'm sure one or two of them will be pissed off.

Play Borna and we cannae play Middleton. Borna likes to overlap as we seen when Kent was playing out wide. With Middleton down that side standing on the touch line there’s nowhere for barasic to go. I’m sure there was an instance last night of the overlap and Middleton ignoring it to go alone. The wee man still has some learning to do with this. Good to see a left back playing well and doing what our right back does going forward

That's some counter argument.

Yeah doubling our money on players is an awful scenario you must of gotten used to us giving them away for pennies.

Maybe you should stop suggesting selling a guy playing internationally for the world cup finalists for 500k more than Josh Windas.

He was our best player last night and yet it was only a few days ago I had to post in defense of him after he was getting criticised on here for being pish. :confused:

Celtic fan in my work today “that’s a very special left back you guys have got and the coverage claimed he isn’t fit? Will be some player for you”.

Yet on here “he’s pish” etc is spouted by half wits.

I think we have a very good player here.

I think he will really motor once he gets a run of games- also think Grezda will be very good for us

I've not seen enough of him, his Rangers career has been stop/start. Some good performances, some not so good. His delivery is excellent - yet to see his proper defensive game.

He was very good at Rugby Park and for Croatia vs Portugal. Struggled against Motherwell 2nd half and at the piggery. Solid last night.

I hope he's over his injuries and can now kick on.

He's back after a spell out but on a forum where we like to be frank when it suits us and move the goalposts on the issue of new players especially the ones who cost us reasonably big money who always get the defensive stance.

He's not been anywhere close to the form he started with and I would suggest even before injury he was struggling. Looked technically good with the ball but lacked the pace required for his position to make him really good-jury's out put simply not as hopeful as I was but aware as Strider said yesterday it may be next season before we see the best of him.

I wasn't too sure of him obviously not had much game time so would rather wait to make judgement before I see him with a run of games under his belt, but must admit he looked good last night. Playing with a natural left back rather than Flanagan or Halliday (No criticism of Halliday by the way as he's filled in and done well) but actually shows what a natural left back can do after not having one for so long. Thought he defended well and done well getting forward and cutting inside. Hopefully a run of games injury free we can start to see him kick on and be a major player for us.

I think the team overall last night gave a decent account of themselves-clearly we lacked the quality to get the break but didn't think BB was any more than one of our ok players....it's about opinions .

You're wrong. He's shite. They're all shite apaprently.:rolleyes:

He's understandably a bit short of match fitness but you can see the boy has ability. Looking forward to seeing him get up to speed as I think he will be excellent for us. Massive improvement on Flannigan and Halliday - but credit where it's due to Halliday - out of position but gives 100% and has done well this season.

Teams block us down the right hand side to stifle Tav. They won't be able to do that when Barisic is giving us balance down the left. I'm very interested to see what a combination of Barisic and Grezda can offer down the left.

Also thought Osijek's winger Bockaj was excellent too.

I thought Bockaj was their best player by a long shot.

Celtic fan in my work today “that’s a very special left back you guys have got and the coverage claimed he isn’t fit? Will be some player for you”.

Yet on here “he’s pish” etc is spouted by half wits.

He's not pish, he looked promising early on and faded quickly-he did NOT look special last night and if he did I'd suggest with the potential of his final ball we would have won.

You don’t seriously think it was the same posters who were saying yesterday he is unimpressive that are today saying he’s top quality, do you?

It’s called a difference of opinion and whilst everybody thinks their own opinion is correct having a different one isn’t really “weird.”

I’m in the “looks good but it’s early days” camp.

.....but I’m weird.

Pretty much where I am as well, Shengus.

Looks really promising, but he needs a run of injury free games to really settle into a rhythm

I wasn't too sure of him obviously not had much game time so would rather wait to make judgement before I see him with a run of games under his belt, but must admit he looked good last night. Playing with a natural left back rather than Flanagan or Halliday (No criticism of Halliday by the way as he's filled in and done well) but actually shows what a natural left back can do after not having one for so long. Thought he defended well and did well getting forward and cutting inside. Hopefully a run of games injury free we can start to see him kick on and be a major player for us.
Agreed,
Playing with a natural right back rather than --------- (No criticism of --------- by the way as he's filled in and done, well, not always very well) but actually makes one wonder what a decent natural right back could do after not having one for so long.
Perhaps that with Goldson and Katic (Barisic at LB), will finally provide a rock solid back four which we have recently been missing big time !

Back