Borna Barisic

didnt think he was good today still allows too many crosses doesn't get close enough to the player. going forward never took any real resposibility. turned back far to often

Something has happened to him pre-euros as he’s not been the same player. Whether injury, illness or something else, he’s not the Borna of this time last year.

He got an injury prior to the euros mate, that’s why he only played 10 minutes in Croatia’s whole campaign.

I think it was a back injury.

I thought he was very boring and dependable today - which is ideal.

He’s lost a yard of pace with the injury.

I do worry about the ball inside of him. He’s vulnerable to pace cutting inside.

However, hopefully he’s returning to form.

I think the slightly altered shape will help him. Sit in a little more and don’t get too badly exposed up the park.

I think he's mentally slow on the recovery from injury, we saw this in the first year he played for us, in his own words for the poor first season with us was that he was injured and never got a good pre-season.

Some players come back rip roaring from injury and only take a few games to get back into the groove, I think Borna holds back for a lot longer due to a fear of getting injured again. imo.

Yesterday he was fine for the second game in a row which is a steady improvement.

If Tav turned in the performances that Barisic has this season though there would be about five threads a day slaughtering him.

He's clearly playing within himself - whether that's to do with an injury or not who knows. Gio, given he was one of the finest full backs of his generation, will surely help him improve. One thing is clear though and it's his inability to prevent crosses. He's even quite poor at showing the player onto his weaker foot.

He clearly isn't the same player he was a couple of seasons ago but that was one of his better games of late.

He seems much more comfortable playing as a traditional full back.

I do worry about the ball inside of him. He’s vulnerable to pace cutting inside.

I think the slightly altered shape will help him. Sit in a little more and don’t get too badly exposed up the park.

That ball inside him is my key concern as well as he looks slower than pre injury (& he has never been the quickest).

Yesterday he was fine for the second game in a row which is a steady improvement.

If Tav turned in the performances that Barisic has this season though there would be about five threads a day slaughtering him.
There are haha!

hes never really had pace never goes by player when has time can whip in a great ball. got a heart size ot a peanut.

Really?

I thought he was terrible in the first half and slightly better in the second. Tav on the other side was also poor.
Funny I thought Tav was poor as well but wasn't he the Rangers TV MOM? One thing is certain the backs have been told their first job is defending and stop going all out attack.

Clearly not been at his best this season but we know he’s capable of far better. Hoping he can get over whatever is hindering him.

He’s regressing defensively and its quite noticeable IMO. Balls inside him he can’t turn quick enough, balls out wide he rarely closes their player or blocks a cross in to the box. McGregor has went ballistic at him a few times recently for not stopping crosses.

Going forward he’s started to become very predictable too I think.

But as you say the changes defensively may help him out a bit.

could start a thread on most players application tonight but i thought the big man has his best game this season. looked to get n the overlap as much as possible but thought defensively he was really good tonight

I agree he had his best game defensively for some time, my concern is that he is suspect when a defender goes inside him, evidenced by Cadden doing it on Wednesday.

Crouchy mate, borna has never had any yard of pace to lose IMO. He’s always been a player based on supreme technique. I can’t think of a single time I’ve seen him run an opposition RB on the outside to fling in a cross.

I have been really critical of him, but it was a bit more like himself on Wednesday night. He was at least looking motivated, winning tackles, 50/50’s and headers.

Still looks slow.

Crouchy mate, borna has never had any yard of pace to lose IMO. He’s always been a player based on supreme technique. I can’t think of a single time I’ve seen him run an opposition RB on the outside to fling in a cross.

He wasn’t as slow from a standing start as he is now.

He also use to be able to out run someone on the overlap, once he was at speed.

Defending from a standing start, he’s really slow. Looks like he can’t turn and accelerate.

Defending from a standing start, he’s really slow. Looks like he can’t turn and accelerate.
I would agree he doesn’t seem as capable this season, I like many others believe he’s got an injury, personally some kind of surgery requires injury (pure personal speculation).

But for overlaps etc I haven’t noticed him not being as fast when at speed, maybe because I’ve never thought of him having any pace at all.

Can I just say, regarding the overlap, with kent playing in front of him, he always forced them to double up on him, allowing borna an almost free cross

Can I just say, regarding the overlap, with kent playing in front of him, he always forced them to double up on him, allowing borna an almost free cross

With Kent seemingly having to play wider now as well, I don’t think we’ll see as many crosses from Borna.

Borna is a tricky one. He’s a good player, but I think he’ll age and deteriorate very quickly. I don’t think he’ll command a transfer fee of any note now.

Not sure Bassey is the answer long term either though. Maybe I’m being harsh on that one, but I have a nagging doubt.

With Kent seemingly having to play wider now as well, I don’t think we’ll see as many crosses from Borna.

Borna is a tricky one. He’s a good player, but I think he’ll age and deteriorate very quickly. I don’t think he’ll command a transfer fee of any note now.

Not sure Bassey is the answer long term either though. Maybe I’m being harsh on that one, but I have a nagging doubt.
I’m interested in how the change of role for kent will affect borna also. I’d completely agree that the chance of selling borna for a big fee has passed. I don’t agree he’ll deteriorate quickly at all however, football has shown that technically adept players generally enjoy longer careers

Seeing folk saying he is getting old and slow on this thread is depressing me, he’s the same age as me :oops:

Back