borna being exposed on Saturday

BucksBear

Didn't seem to be getting much protection on the left on Saturday. should we play someone left mid and move kent inside to run off the striker? Do we think Gio will aim to stifle the Liverpool fullbacks or try to keep them pushed back?

Didn't seem to be getting much protection on the left on Saturday. should we play someone left mid and move kent inside to run off the striker? Do we think Gio will aim to stifle the Liverpool fullbacks or try to keep them pushed back?
I'd stick with barasic as he's still started the season very strongly.

But if we do want it to change it, we have an expensive young left back who's yet to get his opportunity to show us what he's capable of. Give Yilmaz a go.

He's playing well and is one of our best performers this year - but he doesnt have the physical attributes of Bassey. Most teams will test us down the left so Kent has to work his socks off.

But if we do want it to change it, we have an expensive young left back who's yet to get his opportunity to show us what he's capable of. Give Yilmaz a go.
Throw him in at Anfield?? That would be ballsy beyond belief. Up against Salah and Trent (if he starts)…would be a big gamble.

He seems to have a bit on confidence back, yes he aint no Bassey but he isnt a £25m rated player is he.
Got to love Borna when he is playing with belief.

If Kent gets himself back on form then that’s all the protection Borna will need. Kent was flying up and down the left last season in attack and defence. We need the same from him now.

Borna has started this season very well.

Throw him in at Anfield?? That would be ballsy beyond belief. Up against Salah and Trent (if he starts)…would be a big gamble.
Apologies I didn't maks it clear considering the OP was talking about anfield.

I wouldn't changing things for Liverpool at all, but I more meant going forward we have that option.

At a push I'd expect to see lundstram drop back to make it closer to a back 3 in the middle, and let Tav and Borna focus on their roles our wide.

Wasn't suggesting he doesn't start, just that he wasn't getting any help

He seems to have a bit on confidence back, yes he aint no Bassey but he isnt a £25m rated player is he.
Got to love Borna when he is playing with belief.
Bassey looked like a deer caught in the headlights against Liverpool with Ajax could also be down to playing in a position he's much weaker in.

Both bring different things to the game.

I keep seeing that Ridvan has been kept out of the team because of the performances of Borna, but I'm yet to see it.

He hasn't had some sort of upturn in form, or became amazing again, his crossings is pinpoint as per, but defensively I've not noticed a difference.

Barisic still runs away from his man and let's him get closer and closer into the box and then turns his back on them.

Good going forward though.

I think we will play 3/5 at the back and therefore more protection in theory. Depends how Gio wants to set up against their 3 forwards and full backs that will bomb forward at all times.

That’s Kent’s job. How many times did there Right back go down the wing first 15 mins kent jogging back. way off form. We know Barasic not best defender doesn’t help when not getting back up.

Borna has been one of our better players this season. He plays until the inevitable drop in form or injury happens. Ridvan will get his chance this season probably sooner than we think.

We are susceptible to conceding chances if teams can quickly shift the play from left to right.

On one occasion yesterday Hearts switched it from left to right leaving Borna 1v1 and it was either Jack or Lundstram who had to go over and cover, with Kent and Arfield being too far forward to help out.

This created an overload in the middle with a Hearts man free on the edge of the box but luckily Humphrey elected not to pass. Not tracking runners from midfield is another issue we’ve seen in this team for years now.

Risks that would undoubtedly be punished against better teams. I should say that’s my only complaint in an otherwise perfect performance.

That’s Kent’s job. How many times did there Right back go down the wing first 15 mins kent jogging back. way off form. We know Barasic not best defender doesn’t help when not getting back up.
Its not how Gio wants Kent to play

Borna has been fine, but against the tims at parkhead , his bottle goes.
Ridvan needs appearances.

I think we will play 3/5 at the back and therefore more protection in theory. Depends how Gio wants to set up against their 3 forwards and full backs that will bomb forward at all times.

Lundstram or Jack drop in to make it a 3 out of possession more than likely. Neither Tav or Borna getting over the half way line unless it's really on. Tbf Kent Colak and Tillman could cause some real problems for Liverpool on the break against what is likely to be 2 CB's and a sitting MF on the half way line.

Hopefully Klopp plays to type and goes Into the game underestimating us and overestimating himself/his team. Arrogant wank that he is.

Its systematic of the current tactical set up.

Under Gerrard both fullbacks provided a consistent overload, we didnt lay with wingers more number 10's or inside ride/left. the midfield 3, jack on the rigt for example covered Tav and when defending prevented the opposition overload.

Kent is told to stay high and wide, in particular he really suffers from the current formation. Although his natural instinct is still at times to drop deep.

Borna and Tav are primarily withdrawn fullbacks. Even Tav was told to be more withdrawn until Gio picked up how much of an archiac instruction that was.

We play with two defensive midfielders now who cover central and not wide unless the full team shuffles. When you come against teams who move the ball quickly and overload we can get badly exposed. See Gio crazy away tactics at Ajax/piggery.

However in Europe it did work very well. I have no idea why other than strangely he asked the team to press more and higher up the pitch. Which makes it an even bigger headfuck we dont employ those tactics against SPFL dross which is why other than the weekend we are scrapping passed teams and out shots/goals ratio is ridiculously poor.

Borna has been fine, but against the tims at parkhead , his bottle goes.
Ridvan needs appearances.
Borna on what we’ve seen so far is by far the best option at left back
Indeed if Ridvan hadn’t come with such a big reputation and transfer fee he’d never be mentioned
That’s not to say he can’t emerge and be a better left back than Borna but we’ve seen nothing yet in the short time he’s been here
He will surely get more opportunities soon but not against Liverpool imo

I keep seeing that Ridvan has been kept out of the team because of the performances of Borna, but I'm yet to see it.

He hasn't had some sort of upturn in form, or became amazing again, his crossings is pinpoint as per, but defensively I've not noticed a difference.

Barisic still runs away from his man and let's him get closer and closer into the box and then turns his back on them.

Good going forward though.
I agree - am not really seeing it either.

It's clear that teams are targeting our left side & there are a couple of reasons for that - one is that we don't really have any naturally left sided midfield players so Kent has to do far too much covering back, the other is that Barisic is simply not that great a defender.

If theres a low block with a gagun (sp.) press at points of the transition, and somebody hasn't thrown a horseshoe in, Borna will be fine.

It stood out a mile Hearts were targeting him and we could easily have conceded 2 orc3 goals due to it. As good as he can be he is always targeted especially in Europe for his lack of pace.

Kent doesn't help him much with not tracking back enough.

It all comes down to the tactics we play. Kent is being asked to stay high and wide where in theory he can cause most damage. Although his form has been poor, I can understand having your most attacking threat in a position where he has time and space to create. Gio doesn't want him wasting energy tracking back to cover Borna.

The flip side being this can expose Borna in transition if we don't shuffle across quick enough. Its a risk v reward scenario.

Gerrard used the flat midfield 3 with the LCM / RCM covering the full backs who were instructed to go high and wide, but Gio likes to get Borna on the ball and crossing from deep where he is more effective.

The problem we have with this tactic though is Borna's lack of pace. It frustrates the life out of me the way he insists on back tracking and letting wingers run at him, but he knows if he commits and gets done there's no way hes getting back in.

It’s debatable whether it’s the right decision but I think Kamara will come in and play in front of Borna at Anfield.

There’s no way Borna won’t start at left-back. Surely folk are not suggesting otherwise?:eek:
I seriously hope not after his Cameo against Napoli :(

He's playing well and is one of our best performers this year - but he doesnt have the physical attributes of Bassey. Most teams will test us down the left so Kent has to work his socks off.
Borna/Kent combo on the left has brought us a lot of success.
On Saturday v Jam Tarts i thought Borna started with that negative style of his game that infuriates us. Turning back. Passing back. When he had opportunity to go forward. It’s a small thing but I think that put him on the back foot… he is a much better player going forward, creating chances, boosting his confidence.

Borna is no more of a weak link than any other player in that squad when they’re off form.

He’s been good this season also.

He was left fairly exposed on Saturday but teams are correctly targeting him as when he’s pressed he turns back and plays across or back when he’s in our half.

I think one of the reasons Ridvan isn’t playing is that Borna is very much a confidence player - to drop him whilst he is in form could shatter him.

His overall game is probably at it’s highest level since signing for us

It’s debatable whether it’s the right decision but I think Kamara will come in and play in front of Borna at Anfield.

There’s no way Borna won’t start at left-back. Surely folk are not suggesting otherwise?:eek:

I agree VB, Borna needs protection, so likely option is Kamara, although after his Napoli performance not so sure. But we do need someone to play in front of Borna, if not he will be exposed and they will look to exploit.

I think we keep Borna in for Liverpool and then start to bed in Yilmaz. Borna's been good this season but I still think as an attacking force we could benefit more with Yilmaz playing.

Borna on what we’ve seen so far is by far the best option at left back
Indeed if Ridvan hadn’t come with such a big reputation and transfer fee he’d never be mentioned
That’s not to say he can’t emerge and be a better left back than Borna but we’ve seen nothing yet in the short time he’s been here
He will surely get more opportunities soon but not against Liverpool imo
Maybe Borna is upped his game due to the competition , but we cant have players who bottle it at parkhead.

Back