Borussia Dortmund's Stadium Turns 46 Today

I was there in 74 for the Zaire game. Must have been one of the first matches played there.

I’m bored and doing a wee ‘virtual tour’ of some sports stadiums using Google Earth.

It’s even more evident that new stadiums such as the Spurs, Allianz in Munich etc don’t have a lot of “character” to them.

Signal Iduna - or as I’d more fondly recall it as Westfalenstadion - has some of that character.

Saying that, outside exterior view it looks kack compared to Ibrox. The more you look at stadiums around the world the more you realise just how iconic our main stand is.

Edit: the Velodrome in Marseille is some job too after the renovations. And I always liked the stadium in Genoa. “Toured” them today too.

Yep, and the floodlights failed.

And Bremner calling the ball back when we were 2-0 up, and then we failed to qualify on goal difference. Most of the fans there were Ranger supporters, although I had to share a room with two Clyde fans. I had never met one before.

It's a fantastic stadium, been there 3 times, first visit in 1982.

From an engineering perspective, it shows how the Ibrox capacity could have been increased by filling in the corners top and bottom, instead of losing out on thousands of seats to the two screens. That was Murray's real "tenner for a fiver" moment, after wee Fungus re-developed the Piggery with a larger capacity than The Stadium.

It’s like Ibrox on steroids. I’d love one day for us to tweak our stadium and have the Copland like the yellow wall.

Done the tour here a few years back.
Climbing out to the pitch gives you goosebumps as they play the entrance music.
Standing in the yellow wall and raising your hands as they do and the noise of only a couple of dozen echoing the four stands in the ground.
Amazing when you hear it ,can only imagine it with 25,000.
Brilliant tour btw.

Fantastic stadium.
Horrible Stadium with a good atmosphere. It is typical 70's one big block of concrete. If you are near the top you need an oxygen mask to get up there. Then it is like watching ants chasing about. I wasn't impressed at all. The atmosphere is good though as it is always full with 80.000 fans.

I’m bored and doing a wee ‘virtual tour’ of some sports stadiums using Google Earth.

It’s even more evident that new stadiums such as the Spurs, Allianz in Munich etc don’t have a lot of “character” to them.

Signal Iduna - or as I’d more fondly recall it as Westfalenstadion - has some of that character.

Saying that, outside exterior view it looks kack compared to Ibrox. The more you look at stadiums around the world the more you realise just how iconic our main stand is.

Edit: the Velodrome in Marseille is some job too after the renovations. And I always liked the stadium in Genoa. “Toured” them today too.

I was in the Luigi Ferraris in Genoa for Italia 90. Costa Rica and Sweden games.

It's very like Ibrox from the inside.

Been to a couple of Scotland games there, brilliant atmosphere no doubt helped by the fact Germany won both games!

Been to a couple of Scotland games there, brilliant atmosphere no doubt helped by the fact Germany won both games!
Was at the last Germany v Scotland match there. The atmosphere wasnt great, I was in the yellow wall area and it was full of folk looking at their phones during the game.

Borrusia have all but given up on football and offered their stadium up for a Corona testing place. Thumbs up to them.

Have to say, why is there only one picture inside Ibrox on Google maps Streetview. You would think the media team should have a cracking 360-degree picture taken on the Center Circle on a European night.

And as for the fans a few pics to capture the excitement of the place would not go a miss.

Look at this picture taken in Mönchengladbachs as an example.

View from a seat

It is a good atmosphere.

The interaction between the PA/announcer and the fans is good. When we played there in '95 Karl-Heinz Riedle was coming on as a sub and the guy on the public address system shouted "Karl-Heinz" and tens of thousands of Germans shouted "Riedle". I liked it!

Have stood at the back of the yellow wall and also been in the away end standing there and preferred the away end really, glad I did the yellow wall but wouldn't rush back.

Agree about Dortmund on a Sunday, is woeful but most of Germany is really on the drinking front.

Last edited:
Away end was a bit scary as the staircase was rammed with standing supporters. Nearly spilled my pint The yellow wall was magnificent to see

Back