Borussia Mönchengladbach 0 Rangers 0 UEFA Cup 2nd leg1986

MrStruth

101286borussia1585505805.jpg

After drawing 1-1 at Ibrox in the first leg It was a familiar story of what should have been if Rangers had converted any of the numerous chances they had that night but the match was more remembered for one of the worse Refereeing performances ever seen in a European match as Rangers were reduced down to nine men before the end of the game.
Some nice touches from Cooper that night a quite brutal out of character challenge from Ally Dawson in the first half.

Brilliant footage . What a homer that referee was . Our strip was one of our best ever as well . Souness and cooper has that game under their spell but we could not score
The Referee was Alexis Ponnet from Belgium. Cooper apparently got sent off for asking him if he was not allowed to show the Borrusia players.

Really enjoying these old matches people are posting. I'm ashamed to say I haven't watched much pre-90s having been born in the late 80s, so it's great to see.

We were brilliant that night and should have won.
There were a couple of guys behind me at the game called 'The Famous MacAulay Brothers' who had an accordion and a drum and only seemed to be at Euro away games. Don't know what became of them.

We ran a bus from from Quebec Barracks in Osnabruck, with a huge carry out. Can't remember much about the game, but kept meeting people I knew from Glasgow before it.

Our bus got in the day before the game, there was a street called the "Street of a 1000 pubs" which were all closed:mad::mad: we ran into the BBC crew sent over to cover the game, had a chat and they told us which pubs were open
Great trip, another game we should have won, Germans were a decent team though

Yeah both Coop and Munro
Forgot about munro, aye he was one dodgy ref no doubts, just a few days before xmas, I'm pretty sure this game stands out for me bbc scotland I'm sure showed the 2nd half only live I'm sure, hope someone backs me up on this

Went with the West End True blues to this game with the late Davy Moyes running the bus ,we should have beat them that night better team by a mile ref was a disgrace

WATP

After drawing 1-1 at Ibrox in the first leg It was a familiar story of what should have been if Rangers had converted any of the numerous chances they had that night but the match was more remembered for one of the worse Refereeing performances ever seen in a European match as Rangers were reduced down to nine men before the end of the game.
Some nice touches from Cooper that night a quite brutal out of character challenge from Ally Dawson in the first half.

First time I’ve seen that - great to watch !!

Thank you !

Was at that game. My first away game in Europe.Brilliant trip, with Big Bob McGregor (God bless ya) and Gordy, and the German people in our hotel were so friendly.Also had a great night in a bar in city centre surrounded by bears, with the meinhost wearing Gers colors !!
Did Coisty not hit the bar from miles out? And Coop and Stuart Munro not got sent off?
The game itself was a bit of a blur...due to where we were standing...

The Referee was Alexis Ponnet from Belgium. Cooper apparently got sent off for asking him if he was not allowed to show the Borrusia players.

The old git is still with us. fair do's.
Poor Davie got such a doing out there, with absolutely no protection from this old prick!
Souness tried to calm him down in the first half, but Davie was simmering, and after Stuart Munro got sent off after retaliating, again none of the home team's animals getting hardly even booked...Coop was incensed by this point.
In the end he should have ..if justice had been served...been sent off, for whacking some of their players. Instead of just talking back to this old fruit!

Watched it (on and off) in a pub in Gutersloh Germany. I was in the Army and at the leaving do for a boss I had serious issues with and the game was on in the other bar.

From what I did see, we were all over them and the referee was horrendous. Cooper sending off was a total joke, although it pleased the Germans in the place as he looked great every time he got on the ball.

Later on, had to be dragged away from the boss as I wanted to lamp the jack bastard (for a good few months). Not a great night.

Watching these old clips just makes me so sad I never got to enjoy the majesty of Davie Cooper in a Rangers shirt (too young)

What an incredible player.

Like a few others on here this was my first away trip. Can’t remember too much about it in detail if I’m honest. Days on a bus, copious amount of drink, very little sleep, strip club day of the game, the amazing support we had and how well we played is just about it.

As said on other away game thread,this was my first away trip.Didnt actually realise how bad the referee was on the night.An auld school homer by the looks of it!

I ended up in Berlin with "Wally McCauley" after the game. We ditched our respective supporters buses and went for a few extra Lowenbrau's. Lost my jacket in a nightclub.

I was there as well - on the Kinning Park Loyal bus. We left The Grapes, I settled down with my cargo for the 600 mile journey - and we stopped 5 minutes later at the Clyde Inn for about an hour.

Back