Boyd the player & mccoist the manager

greggakd

I seem to remember there being a bit of a topic about boyd saying “I’ll decide my future once I know who the manager is” when it was up in the air whether mccoist was taking over from Walter. Got me wondering while they’re doing punditry together. Was there anything behind that? Was it a problem with Walter or ally? Am I being a bit daft and there was nothing?

Boyd went a season before McCoist became manager mate so if anything it would be Smith staying on that made him leave.

Nothing in it.

I seem to remember there being a bit of a topic about boyd saying “I’ll decide my future once I know who the manager is” when it was up in the air whether mccoist was taking over from Walter. Got me wondering while they’re doing punditry together. Was there anything behind that? Was it a problem with Walter or ally? Am I being a bit daft and there was nothing?
Boyd left long before walter.

Boyd left 2010, the season before Walter left.

It was often assumed when Ally was assistant manager that he'd have a close relationship with Boyd as they were both goalscorers. Instead Ally worked more closely with Kenny Miller whose work rate and application he respected more.

No being funny but how much of a knob do you have to be to not get on with ally mccoist? Not having a go at boyd. Don't think they ever had it in for each other

fully aware it was the season before walter left, i just seem to remember something at the time, i also seem to remember ally being spoken about taking over long before he did as well. as i also said, i could just be a dafty and be completely wrong

Did Super not leather Boyd before an OF game?

EDIT: Boyd also ran straight to McCoist after scoring his only OF goal. So who knows

I think ally has come out and said boyd could have achieved so much more if he worked harder at his game. Hes not wrong but that's football I'm sure now theres no issue between them
I agree with him. I don’t think Boyd wanted to put the effort in

No being funny but how much of a knob do you have to be to not get on with ally mccoist? Not having a go at boyd. Don't think they ever had it in for each other
Probably the most universally liked personality to come out of Scottish football in 30 years. I dare say if you don’t get on with Super Ally then you might be the arsehole

convenient statement for Boyd to make............... Didn't Birmingham twice bid for Boyd circa £3-4 million was mentioned at the time ? But Boyd chose to run down his contract and move on a free transfer to Middlesborough

It’s you being daft

Is davie weirs book he says McCoist was Boyds hero when he was a kid and he thought they would click, he says super never really took to him. That must have changed though when he signed him for a 2nd spell

In his second spell as much as he was overweight and dripping like a marathon runner 5 minutes into the game.

He scored in the first league match at Falkirk and was going mad celebrating, clearly meant a lot to him. Offside.

Few weeks later at Raith, pretty sure hes still not scored.

He’s through on the keeper at least twice, one of the shots he shinned onto his toe and near hit corner flag.

Late in the match Rangers got a penalty. Jig and a few others started laughing and still refused to give him it to get his goal and get him started.

Whole thing sums that period up.

Was never Boyd’s greatest fan but his second spell was a particular waste of time (and money).

Back