Boys’ club in abuse scandal used Celtic FC child policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

indianabluenose

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boys-club-in-abuse-scandal-used-celtic-fc-child-policy-jgdrvx69v

Celtic FC and its scandal-hit feeder club shared an identical child protection policy, undermining the Scottish Premiership outfit’s refusal to accept responsibility for systematic sexual abuse.
Four men who held senior roles with Celtic Boys Club (CBC) have been convicted of molesting dozens of children over three decades. While expressing “regret and sorrow” for the victims, Celtic FC insists that it is not legally responsible for the abuse, describing the boys’ club as an entirely separate organisation.
However, it has emerged that both organisations shared a child protection policy, entitled Aware and Confident, which was introduced in 1997, months after abuse allegations first appeared in the press.
The Times has also seen an archived copy of the CBC website on which it describes itself as “the only official Celtic Boys Club” and features an image of young players and officials at Celtic Park.

“The privileged place we hold in the worldwide Celtic family will never be taken for granted,” it says.
The boys’ club site also confirmed that its registered address was “Barrowfield Park, Glasgow”, a Celtic FC training ground.
The child protection document stresses that CBC had an independent constitution, officers and rules, but adds: “The boys’ club has a long and proud association with Celtic FC which has proved of mutual benefit. CBC has agreed to implement this code of practice.
“This means that staff and volunteers working with the boys’ club will be subject to the same code of ethics, vetting procedures, good practice and procedural requirements as applies to staff and volunteers of Celtic FC.” Its stated goal was to eradicate the risk of abuse to boys in teams which are “legitimately using the name Celtic”.
Celtic FC began an internal investigation in 1986 after media reports raised serious concerns about child welfare. Frank Cairney, the CBC general manager, was allowed to continue in his role after the club found “nothing to substantiate” the claims. He finally left his role in 1991 amid allegations that he abused a boy on an American summer tour.
However, in 2008 the CBC website paid tribute to Cairney, saying: “The section on the history of the club would not have been possible without the assistance of Mr Frank Cairney. We are grateful to him for that assistance.”
His victims had to wait until last December before Cairney, 83, was convicted of nine charges of sexually abusing young footballers. Cairney, who is serving a four-year jail sentence, abused boys in a dressing room at Celtic Park.
A report on the CBC website, which was deleted after the club was renamed St Patrick’s Sports Academy last year, noted: “The future success of the boys’ club was probably secured when Frank Cairney was appointed general manager in 1970.
“His brief was to develop and recruit players for Celtic FC.”
In May The Times published articles from the Celtic View, the club’s official magazine, which spoke of an “official connection” between Celtic FC and CBC.
Patrick McGuire, a partner at Thompsons Solicitors who is pursuing claims against Celtic FC on behalf of dozens of abuse survivors, said: “This is yet more evidence, if any more evidence is required, of the absolute legal interconnection and interdependence between Celtic Boys Club and the football club.”
Celtic FC, which denies CBC was its feeder club, failed to respond to a request for comment.
Last month Peter Lawwell, the chief executive of Celtic FC, claimed that the club had been conducting its own internal investigation. He added: “It would be quite inappropriate for us to be discussing highly sensitive and confidential legal matters in the media, and we will not do so, even if that means we come under criticism for following the due legal process.”

both organisations shared a child protection policy, entitled Aware and Confident, which was introduced in 1997, months after abuse allegations first appeared in the press.

I don't need add to this.

The fucking brazen knowledge that their staff were shagging kids just absolutely sickens me.

I will NEVER hear a fan of that despicable institution lecture me or my club on morals. It's absolutely bloodcurdling what they've done.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boys-club-in-abuse-scandal-used-celtic-fc-child-policy-jgdrvx69v

Celtic FC and its scandal-hit feeder club shared an identical child protection policy, undermining the Scottish Premiership outfit’s refusal to accept responsibility for systematic sexual abuse.
Four men who held senior roles with Celtic Boys Club (CBC) have been convicted of molesting dozens of children over three decades. While expressing “regret and sorrow” for the victims, Celtic FC insists that it is not legally responsible for the abuse, describing the boys’ club as an entirely separate organisation.
However, it has emerged that both organisations shared a child protection policy, entitled Aware and Confident, which was introduced in 1997, months after abuse allegations first appeared in the press.
The Times has also seen an archived copy of the CBC website on which it describes itself as “the only official Celtic Boys Club” and features an image of young players and officials at Celtic Park.

“The privileged place we hold in the worldwide Celtic family will never be taken for granted,” it says.
The boys’ club site also confirmed that its registered address was “Barrowfield Park, Glasgow”, a Celtic FC training ground.
The child protection document stresses that CBC had an independent constitution, officers and rules, but adds: “The boys’ club has a long and proud association with Celtic FC which has proved of mutual benefit. CBC has agreed to implement this code of practice.
“This means that staff and volunteers working with the boys’ club will be subject to the same code of ethics, vetting procedures, good practice and procedural requirements as applies to staff and volunteers of Celtic FC.” Its stated goal was to eradicate the risk of abuse to boys in teams which are “legitimately using the name Celtic”.
Celtic FC began an internal investigation in 1986 after media reports raised serious concerns about child welfare. Frank Cairney, the CBC general manager, was allowed to continue in his role after the club found “nothing to substantiate” the claims. He finally left his role in 1991 amid allegations that he abused a boy on an American summer tour.
However, in 2008 the CBC website paid tribute to Cairney, saying: “The section on the history of the club would not have been possible without the assistance of Mr Frank Cairney. We are grateful to him for that assistance.”
His victims had to wait until last December before Cairney, 83, was convicted of nine charges of sexually abusing young footballers. Cairney, who is serving a four-year jail sentence, abused boys in a dressing room at Celtic Park.
A report on the CBC website, which was deleted after the club was renamed St Patrick’s Sports Academy last year, noted: “The future success of the boys’ club was probably secured when Frank Cairney was appointed general manager in 1970.
In May The Times published articles from the Celtic View, the club’s official magazine, which spoke of an “official connection” between Celtic FC and CBC.
Patrick McGuire, a partner at Thompsons Solicitors who is pursuing claims against Celtic FC on behalf of dozens of abuse survivors, said: “This is yet more evidence, if any more evidence is required, of the absolute legal interconnection and interdependence between Celtic Boys Club and the football club.”
Celtic FC, which denies CBC was its feeder club, failed to respond to a request for comment.
Last month Peter Lawwell, the chief executive of Celtic FC, claimed that the club had been conducting its own internal investigation. He added: “It would be quite inappropriate for us to be discussing highly sensitive and confidential legal matters in the media, and we will not do so, even if that means we come under criticism for following the due legal process.”
Reap what you sow you abhorrent fucks!!

i hope im wrong but i still think sellic as a club wont be punished or at the very least the bare minimum like a fine, i know people are wanting titles stripped like penn state but i cant see that happening

i hope im wrong but i still think sellic as a club wont be punished or at the very least the bare minimum like a fine, i know people are wanting titles stripped like penn state but i cant see that happening
Most of us as humans and parents have the victims and their families receiving justice as our number one priority. Not even thinking about titles.

Does anyone have any information on the US Lawyers suing the mentally challengeds. The reporter that wrote the initial story has lost the trail!

Separate entity my arse. They’re one and the same, and CFC are accountable for the horrific crimes which were covered up.
Tick tock you filthy animals.
The SFA interim report totally refutes the "separate entity" defence. See paras 3.69 to 3.83.
Sorry can't get c+p to work.

Last edited:
Read this sentence:

Four men who held senior roles with Celtic Boys Club (CBC) have been convicted of molesting dozens of children over three decades.

Dozens
Football aside, I hope they burn in hell, scumbags.

PM said a couple of months ago they have dozens and dozens of victims, the other firm said the same.

Dozens is 24 and dozens is another 24 x 2 legal companies has 96 and as been mentioned in the big thread, many more have come forward.

I asked on the big thread if someone could confirm there are near 200 victims from celtic being represented?

I also care about pedos going to jail. And pedo enablers going to jail,
I was talking about just people in general not anyone individually. I want the victims to receive justice but I still believe nothing will happen to them unless a public enquiry occurs. You have to remember our country is run by the SNP and Humza Yousaf is taking a blind eye to this as he’s a Celtic fan himself.

I honestly dont think they will be held accountable they are just batting down the hatches and riding the storm out,not been much of a storm though their friends in the media are seeing to that ,shame on them.They just want it all to go away which it just might.

Why is it being reported as if they’re completely separate but that pesky policy undermines that? They were viewed and were the same thing.

i agree but everyone is talking about after the cases are done what punishment should the mhanks get
In a decent country where decent people are running the country you would think that a business /organisation that covered up and facilitated the abuse of dozens of children would be severely punished and or closed down ,but this happened in Scotland so probably nothing will happen and victims and their families will be forgotten about .

In a decent country where decent people are running the country you would think that a business /organisation that covered up and facilitated the abuse of dozens of children would be severely punished and or closed down ,but this happened in Scotland so probably nothing will happen and victims and their families will be forgotten about .
Surely not - even if our politics were corrupt, this transcends nationalism and is a matter of human decency. Even a cursory reading of a heavily edited Wikipedia would make a normal person both sick and baying for blood:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Patrick's_Sports_Academy

Like the Saville enquiry etc. this is not just about the safety and compensation of the victims, it's about ensuring it never happens again and erasing the cancer (CFC and CBC) that caused it. Surely Celtc should be the ones renamed St Patricks, and sent to the South of Scotland Football League (when properly reformed), rather than even more sanctions on the feeder club?

Spot on sir! And with people tried and sentenced for this you’d think it’d be a simple move to join these dots and take this at least to an independent investigation. Yet, our mps even get ignored by this vile organisation, the press largely protect them and our First Minister and Justice Minister stay uniquely silent on the matter.

It’s a scandal that the world must sit up and take notice of, clearly there’s little appetite in Scotland for it.

The next steps are vital.

Surely not - even if our politics were corrupt, this transcends nationalism and is a matter of human decency. Even a cursory reading of a heavily edited Wikipedia would make a normal person both sick and baying for blood:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Patrick's_Sports_Academy

Like the Saville enquiry etc. this is not just about the safety and compensation of the victims, it's about ensuring it never happens again and erasing the cancer (CFC and CBC) that caused it. Surely Celtc should be the ones renamed St Patricks, and sent to the South of Scotland Football League (when properly reformed), rather than even more sanctions on the feeder club?
I have no faith in the authorities in Scotland doing the right and decent thing about this ,I know what should happen but I just don't think anyone in a position of power wants to or will be allowed to take the proper course of action to deal with the paedophile ring operating at Celtc FC .I really feel sorry for the victims and their families having to go through this trauma and pain as if the actual abuse wasn't bad enough they now find themselves taking on the establishment .I'm ashamed of the way the families and abuse victims are being treated by the authorities .
#votesbeforevictims seems to be the thinking of the government in Scotland.

celtic8.jpg

Starting to look like it. They seem to be the untouchables, no matter what evidence is coming out they are wriggling out it and SNP etc will do their best to help them

Meanwhile in scotland fingers in ears eyes shut lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back