Braga businesses thank Gers fans

I'm always interested in how stories like this originate and why. Did it start off as a fishing trip hoping for criticism and turned into a good news story when none was forthcoming?

Someone somewhere decided to gauge local opinion, they didn't decide to call the Record all by themselves.

After visiting both Porto and Braga this season I have to say that the Portuguese are some of the friendliest, most hospitable folk I’ve encountered on a European football away trip. Whether it’s bar staff, restaurants, taxi drivers or opposition fans, all great. So it’s good to see a positive report in the media. A few baton-happy robocops at the field next to the stadium but overall, the police were good too.

PS. Lots of handshaking and high fiving with the locals during the march too as they stood at the sides generally watching in awe, videoing etc, So if Portugal has Corona we‘re f*cked :cool:
Portuguese are great people - also the alliance of 1386 initially with England and then Britain is the oldest in the world

Seen this. Ain't it wonderful, outside our debacle of a country, to see unspun news about the Ted's. Braga seem to have been a decent host town. And the Ted's rewarded them. Good times. WATP.

Braga and the locals were excellent - absolutely no complaints and the locals loved it - watching them video and waving at the fan march was superb.
i would happily go back to Braga for a visit.

From my travels, and from talking to locals, the Portugeezers are generally pretty positive about the British. Much more so than the Spanish.

They were all out, including Braga fans, clapping, videoing and watching us all day in the square and on the march. Same in Porto on tuesday with locals and tourists clapping along to the tunes and videoing us all :D

After visiting both Porto and Braga this season I have to say that the Portuguese are some of the friendliest, most hospitable folk I’ve encountered on a European football away trip. Whether it’s bar staff, restaurants, taxi drivers or opposition fans, all great. So it’s good to see a positive report in the media. A few baton-happy robocops at the field next to the stadium but overall, the police were good too.

PS. Lots of handshaking and high fiving with the locals during the march too as they stood at the sides generally watching in awe, videoing etc, So if Portugal has Corona we‘re f*cked :cool:

They were great people, the two cities were great too

Goes way back beyond that. Try Wellington fighting Napoleon.
Youre right, i should have said that this was the last time portugal aided Britain militarily, although given portugal declared it self Neutral in WW2 it could be argued that the alliance had been broken, ps it goes back further than Napoleon , Treaty of Windsor in 1386 try that

Brilliant to hear. Lots of positives to our travelling support. Shame Scotland is so hate filled it can't just enjoy the good we do.

Look forward to Germany now. :))

Brilliant to hear. Lots of positives to our travelling support. Shame Scotland is so hate filled it can't just enjoy the good we do.

Look forward to Germany now. :))
I've also been to the last two matches in Portugal and endorse the opinion that the Portugues have been great. One thing is evident to me and that is that Rangers fans go there to party and don't look for trouble. Other fans, notably Feyenoord a couple of months ago, look for trouble.

The Portuguese are right to like us. Probably good they don't understand all the songs just the same.

Braga businesses have thanked Rangers fans after their visit to the Portuguese city provided a cash boon for struggling local coffers.

The Ibrox club's 6000 strong legion of fans spent so much on their travels to support Steven Gerrard 's men that they replicated the takings of an entire season in just a few days.

And their custom was a godsend to struggling Portuguese traders who were delighted with the extra business at an out-of-season time of year.

Manager of Cafe Vianna, Mario Pereira, said: "Rangers fans were extremely good for trade for us. This is an extremely difficult month here with the weather and lack of tourists.

"The Scots coming here saved the entire winter and gave us the same takings for the whole season

"It wasn't just the day of the game either. Many were here for several days and plenty were in Braga until the weekend

"The fans were having fun and spending money. It wasn't just the bars and cafes who won, it was the taxi drivers, supermarkets and the shopping malls.

"The entire city of Braga benefited hugely from this.

"We allowed the fans to have a party after the game and I think they appreciated that. It was important to welcome their supporters because afterwards they return with their families."

And Cafe Italia manager, Gianluca Giampaolo added: "It was great for the local commercial economy and those supporters will return here for a holiday as simple tourists later.

"Those football fans have given us a huge boost."
same thing would happen at aberdeen and many other several football grounds just a shame the owners are too bitter. everyone loves the blue pound.

Youre right, i should have said that this was the last time portugal aided Britain militarily, although given portugal declared it self Neutral in WW2 it could be argued that the alliance had been broken, ps it goes back further than Napoleon , Treaty of Windsor in 1386 try that

Portugal remaining neutral was strategically key in keeping Spain out of the war and Churchill was high in his praise of Salazar in doing so.
I holiday in Portugal every year and a friendlier bunch of people would be hard to find.

I heard Braga is quite a nice historic city so delighted the bears enjoyed it and the locals appreciated our visit.

Great positive story

Scottish Press

"Rampant Rangers fans clear shleves of local town and ransack and pillage food from mouths of starving Portugese Catholics...."

Note: Retraction 3 weeks later on page 7 below story about Nessie being found, fans paid for thoer goods legally

Potential Sun article.

Lifeline for Celtic as Rangers fans let down Scotland

Lazy Rangers fans defied Scottish Government health advice by eating takeaways and drinking well above their weekly alcohol unit allowance in Bragga. Combined with their use of taxis it is believed that the combination of poor diet and lack of exercise is a ticking time bomb for the NHS in Scotland.

Our reporter spoke to an independent expert Mr Joe O’Rourke who has been quoted as saying that the cost to the Scottish tax payers in future years could be astronomical and that Rangers fans and the club that they support who died in 2012 should be held accountable. He has also raised a concern with Greta Thunberg in relation to the enormous impact that the travel by thousands of Rangers fans has caused on the environment and has called for the club formerly known as Rangers to be banned from European competition and replaced by a more environmentally friendly green alternative.

It has also been reported that after a group of Rangers fans paid for a meal it was discovered that several sachets of condiments were missing from the restaurant table and that napkins had been discarded in local streets. Police are investigating and they will be issuing photofit images in an effort to trace the perpetrators. Calum Steele from the Police federation stated that in his years following Celtic both home and abroad he had never experienced a problem with littering by Celtic fans and that they had in fact been given awards by several cities in regard to the way they always binned their litter.

Same with the UEFA final, you never heard any shopkeepers or bars moaning.

Who asked the questions, why were the questions asked.
Did the locals approach the journalists to praise the Bears.

Being sceptical IMO they never got the answers they were looking for.

However good news about Bears enjoying themselves.

The power of the blue pound. If only the club could harness it to reduce away ticket prices and increase allocations. If the likes of Kilmarnock won't play ball then a few boycotts would soon sort that out.

I hope EUFA hear of the excellent behaviour of our fans and the positive impact we make on local economies thoughout Europe and stop listening to the lies of hate-filled, sectarian, bigoted 'Scottish' journalists and politicians.

Nope and according to one young Mancunian barmaid in a Chinatown bar in 2012 "Ahh the Rangers that were one of the greatest days of my life. Well in 'ere y'know what I mean. We've 'ad united and citeh 'ave parades in town but they're nowt compared to you lot"

I went to florence, and we were well recieved, i think the way they had been treated when they came to Ibrox had a fanzone for them might have made the difference, we left Florence with more friends than when we arrived, there was even an authentic Scottish bar, the St Andrews bar,

That’s a fantastic wee story, genuinely love reading about things like this.

In years to come the local business community over there will pray for Braga to play Rangers, when times are a bit hard.

One of the few countries in the world that we haven't been to war with.
Vindaloo comes from their ventures into the East so no wonder we get on.

Abso

I'm absolutely agreed on this.

Superb levels of patience and awe. Helps we spend a power of money in their cafes, bars and restaurants though I'm sure.

Back