Braga's 2nd Goal

Looking back I thought Shagger looked too far over to his left post.
I think that was because 9 times out of 10 that would have been where the shot was aimed. Cutting it back the way he came would have wrong footed most keepers.

His positioning wasn’t ideal.
Correct.
He should’ve been directly underneath where the ball went into the goal.
Then he could have tipped it over the bar.
Or, better still caught it, ran to the edge of the area dropped the ball there, went on a mazy, beat ten players then chip the ball home for a goal for us.
If only he’d seen the replay before the guy shot.

Looking back I thought Shagger looked too far over to his left post.
I'd agree that McGregor, for a goalkeeper, is incredibly flat footed. He sort of makes up for this by being extremely agile.

The first goal, if being super hyper critical after the fact, yes had he been a yard further back he might have saved it as it wasnt in the corner. McGregor tends to stand quite far off his line to make up for the fact he cant run very fast, this is clear for anyone to see when watching him sprint. This extra yard gets him out to through balls quicker. It does leave him slightly vulnerable to strikes like the first goal but, as one who is a critic of him, he would probably not have saved it anyway. Was a swirling strike and we'll give credit to the lad that scored.

The second goal he has no chance as it is hit across him from an area where the defender blocks his line of sight and the shot has little to no back lift.

I thought he was fine on Thursday and as most on here already know I dont think he is as good as a lot on here do.

I'd agree that McGregor, for a goalkeeper, is incredibly flat footed. He sort of makes up for this by being extremely agile.

The first goal, if being super hyper critical after the fact, yes had he been a yard further back he might have saved it as it wasnt in the corner. McGregor tends to stand quite far off his line to make up for the fact he cant run very fast, this is clear for anyone to see when watching him sprint. This extra yard gets him out to through balls quicker. It does leave him slightly vulnerable to strikes like the first goal but, as one who is a critic of him, he would probably not have saved it anyway. Was a swirling strike and we'll give credit to the lad that scored.

The second goal he has no chance as it is hit across him from an area where the defender blocks his line of sight and the shot has little to no back lift.

I thought he was fine on Thursday and as most on here already know I dont think he is as good as a lot on here do.

Didn’t want to say this at the time because I knew I’d get lynched, but I thought McGregor was too far off his line at the first and in reality he’s conceded quite a few goals from that over the course of his entire Rangers career.

His positioning wasn’t ideal.
I love the guy and will always maintain that he’s the best keeper I’ve seen at Rangers behind Goram, but this is one of his biggest flaws IMO. It’s not the first time he’s been to far off his line and been beaten from range and it won’t be the last.

H

You’re having a laugh, watch the shot from the Broomland Road angle, the ball swerved and dipped to hit the underside of the bar. That shot beats a goalkeeper 100% of the time.

Agree mate. I’d like to see the free kick from behind the goal. I’m in the main stand & I was surprised when the ball ended in the net.
H

You’re having a laugh, watch the shot from the Broomland Road angle, the ball swerved and dipped to hit the underside of the bar. That shot beats a goalkeeper 100% of the time.

I think the criticism of McGregor for the first goal is unwarranted - if he was a yard ortwo further back I’m not sure that shot gets saved but if Fransergio plays a through ball and he’s too far back to sweep it up he gets the same criticism for being too deep.

if you want to be critical of McGregor it should be for his distribution which isn’t brilliant and his command of cross balls - neither of these have ever been his strong suit but distribution especially is shown up in Europe

I think the criticism of McGregor for the first goal is unwarranted - if he was a yard ortwo further back I’m not sure that shot gets saved but if Fransergio plays a through ball and he’s too far back to sweep it up he gets the same criticism for being too deep.

if you want to be critical of McGregor it should be for his distribution which isn’t brilliant and his command of cross balls - neither of these have ever been his strong suit but distribution especially is shown up in Europe

I wasn’t criticising him mate. I was referring to our third goal.

I wasn’t criticising him mate. I was referring to our third goal.
Wasn’t directed at you, sorry, just replying to the wrong thread. I agree about the third goal it looks like he was close I thought initially he pushed it into the net - the height the ball came down from he’d need a full hand to keep it out. He maybe could have reached it but I don’t think anyone is expecting him to keep it out.

You’ll be amazed then
Actually, I was wrong.
Having been on this forum for a while now, I should have known there’d be somebody who’d come away with such tripe.
When posters can think it’s okay to right off Hagi as they did last week, why should I have thought I could be amazed at McGregor getting faulted for the goal?

All 5 goals were ones you’d be delighted to see your team score. Only our winner could be said to have an element of luck, with the deflection, but we’ll take it. :)
I‘m not sure we’ve had too much of that type of break this season.

Yes, everybody is entitled to their opinion.
Just as I am about that opinion.
Well I have watched it again Jim Stewart and his positioning in far too left sided. I'm a big McGregor fan however is he exempt from criticism for any goals unlike others?

Well I have watched it again Jim Stewart and his positioning in far too left sided. I'm a big McGregor fan however is he exempt from criticism for any goals unlike others?

Mate stop digging FFS , not even any mention of him being at fault for that , there is a reason for this .

I can't really see anything to criticize McGregor for in either goal. One dipping, swerving wonder strike, one hit in the opposite corner from the one he (and any decent goalie) would anticipate. My thinking is that Braga are likely to score again in the second leg - classy attacking team - but they are also very likely to concede if we learn from what we saw at Ibrox. Very much a winnable tie for both us and them.

Despite a fantastic finish on Thursday, it was guts and bloody mindedness that dug out the win. We could easily have been 4 or maybe 5 down before we kicked in. Shagger was responsible for keeping it respectable. They scored 2 very good goals IMO and the idea of pinning any of them against McGregor is ludicrous.

If you want to look at who cost us you need to see Davis outpaced nearly all the time and Kamara being a ticking time bomb all the time he was on the park. On the offensive side I don’t think Barasic was fully recovered, Kent is still not bringing enough to the party and Alfie is well off the mark.

Best efforts for me came from McGregor, Katic, Arfield, Hagi & Aribo.

At 0-2 I was thinking out the tournament and the possibility of a real pumping very much in prospect on Wednesday. Now, if we can pop in the first goal on Wednesday, I’m thinking we are in with a real shout.

They were a class side playing the sort of quick, one touch passing football we aspire to.

Thing is though, had we faced them back in October or November, I honestly don’t think they’d have found it so easy to cut us open.

Our inability to retain possession for the first hour was shocking to be frank. We still have an awful lot to improve upon.

H

I seen it happen live, it definitely moved. I did say if I was being super hyper critical and explained why.

Despite a fantastic finish on Thursday, it was guts and bloody mindedness that dug out the win. We could easily have been 4 or maybe 5 down before we kicked in. Shagger was responsible for keeping it respectable. They scored 2 very good goals IMO and the idea of pinning any of them against McGregor is ludicrous.

If you want to look at who cost us you need to see Davis outpaced nearly all the time and Kamara being a ticking time bomb all the time he was on the park. On the offensive side I don’t think Barasic was fully recovered, Kent is still not bringing enough to the party and Alfie is well off the mark.

Best efforts for me came from McGregor, Katic, Arfield, Hagi & Aribo.

At 0-2 I was thinking out the tournament and the possibility of a real pumping very much in prospect on Wednesday. Now, if we can pop in the first goal on Wednesday, I’m thinking we are in with a real shout.
They were cutting us apart with ease in the first sixty minutes or so, however, at the same time we were getting behind their defence with the same ease, albeit in a more direct manner.
Had Alfie been on form, then we would have been scoring earlier than we did.
I think that their goalkeeper was fairly busy during the game.
However, they were a very good football team.

Didn’t want to say this at the time because I knew I’d get lynched, but I thought McGregor was too far off his line at the first and in reality he’s conceded quite a few goals from that over the course of his entire Rangers career.
Not allowed to say that about 'shagger'. He's had an excellent Rangers career nonetheless

I sit in the Govan stand and thought the shot was going over the bar until it dipped at the last minute
It's one of those we'll never know. It was one of those ones goalkeepers dread. My initial reaction at the game was he was slightly too far off his line but sometimes you cant legislate for folk getting as much movement on the ball as the guy did

Both their goals were crackers. The first was better imo, was some power and from a good distance out. They missed some real easy chances too before that screamer.

Agree, but they were equally as lucky with the wrong throw in decision in their favour which lead to their second goal.

Maybe luck does even itself out everywhere .............. except Scotland!
It was our throw. in the English premiership VAR would have disallowed it I think.

Latest posts

Back