Brahim Hemdani - Video

Absolutely loved that guy and still think he is one of the best players in my life time. The exact player you needed when under any level of pressure. He could keep the ball for as long as he wanted, never wasted a pass and seemed to make about 30 interceptions a game.

Won’t be popular on here, but he was head and shoulders above Kevin Thomson. Had a lot more positional discipline and won the ball back a great deal more (without having to tackle) - he was always one step ahead of the opposition.

He was like a top level Ryan Jack.

You missed a goal :D I'm sure he scored against St Johnstone at Hampden in a penalty shootout :D

He missed it.

The commentators say during his walk backwards before taking spot kick "11 days ago Brahim Hemdani at Hampden Park had his penalty saved"

... thats why he was so relieved to score. :D

Oh well- here we go again
Possible 50 pager coming up
There used to be a thread on him at least once a week on the old board

My opinion (FWIW - which is hee-haw) he exasperated me in equal measure as excited me - but each to their own

After all this time my opinion hasn't changed much - which is unusual because I've found myself willing to ignore the shortcomings of others when remembering them later

Thomson - Hemdani - Ferguson

Only thing missing between the three of them was a long range shot, other than that it had the lot.

Strange end to his career. Was shite in Manchester and didn’t play again that season. He was then linked with Osasuna all summer I’m sure which didn’t happen.

Didn’t play another game at professional level

Bit like Tav today.

You could always tell who knew nothing about football based on their opinion of Hemdani.

Bit like Tav today.

You could always tell who knew nothing about football based on their opinion of Hemdani.

Didn't take long - did it ?

Please enlighten us all then - what hidden code - what secret mystical message is there - that shows those in the know - that anyone's opinion of Hemdani - reveals how much (if anything) they know about football ?

Please enlighten us all then - what hidden code - what secret mystical message is there - that shows those in the know - that anyone's opinion of Hemdani - reveals how much (if anything) they know about football ?

That not every game is the same and that players have different attributes are better suited to different types of games?

A top player out of possession, more often than not would hoover up any loose ball in our half without the need to make much of a tackle and just sweep the ball out to Hutton to start the next attack, I actually think selling Hutton was largely to blame for Hemdani's form arguably tailing off somewhat towards the end of his career with us as the latter part of that season he would win the ball back and then struggle to find a team mate. I say arguably because when he played we didn't concede as many as we did without him and I'd say that was more his job but he was far worse on the ball no doubt.

Playing Christian Dailly over him in the holding role domestically in the latter part of the season for me was a bad decision that cost us as Dailly fouled his way around a role Hemdani did better.

I think that a lot of supporters (around me in the stadium at the time) wanted a defensive midfielder to chase players down and play with the same kind of aggression as guys like Gattuso and Mascherano. I think they thought that Hemdani was completely rubbish at doing that - because he didn't - and therefore completely rubbish as a player. I think that some others were still wanting midfielders to be box-to-box and Hemdani didn't do anything resembling it. It's like watching the great Barcelona side and failing to see how important Busquets was for them. Hemdani was that kind of defensive midfielder and a lot of our fans didn't get it. There was one guy in particular near me who just seemed to give him abuse for 90 minutes.

It's the same kind of person who's going to read that post and then jump in knee high on the argument saying you can't compare Hemdani to Busquets. The post about replacing him with Dailly is depressing.

I rated Hemdani

There were few who could break down the opposition's play, mostly by interception, & avert danger before it even happened, better than he could.
He seemed to have a built in 6th sense on occassions that enabled him to predict what the opposition were up to & he was very effective in stopping it happening.

He would however spend entire games soleley reacting to the opposition
If we were up against teams who liked to sit-in - he became almost redundant
If the opposition didnt venture near our box but instead sent in long balls - he seemed to loose his positional sense completely

He was great at making short 5 yard passes but often ignored the defence splitting 15-20 yarder that would break a packed defence for example

I'll concede that his skills outlined above, probably created higher - perhaps unrealistic - expectations from me

However - posting the above views on the old board caused an absolute barrage of responses along the lines of -
'You know nothing about football'
'Do you ever go to games ?'
'Jog on Timmy'

I really don't care & don't take offence easily - having a thicker skin than the comments warrant - but I just wonder what it is that prompts these comments ?

It doesn't happen with drastically differing views on other players abilities

You sound raging mate.

My post is my opinion and it's pretty self explanatory, I couldn't care less if it annoys you or you disagree with it.

Absolutely loved that guy and still think he is one of the best players in my life time. The exact player you needed when under any level of pressure. He could keep the ball for as long as he wanted, never wasted a pass and seemed to make about 30 interceptions a game.

Won’t be popular on here, but he was head and shoulders above Kevin Thomson. Had a lot more positional discipline and won the ball back a great deal more (without having to tackle) - he was always one step ahead of the opposition.

He was like a top level Ryan Jack.

Defo our most underrated player. He's my favourite ever rangers player. I honestly don't think I ever saw him lose possession

Defo our most underrated player. He's my favourite ever rangers player. I honestly don't think I ever saw him lose possession
St Johnstone at home in the cup, midweek, Ibrox. Hemdani centre half. Think it was 0-3 at half time.

Could’ve been LeGuens last game

A dream player for Smith.

In Europe.

Absolutely no requirement for him any other time.

Dropping him for Dailly vs Kaunas was a ludicrous decision. And not giving him any game time in the lead up to Manchester (especially when we had so many games) was also insane.

You sound raging mate.

My post is my opinion and it's pretty self explanatory, I couldn't care less if it annoys you or you disagree with it.
Well for what it's worth - which isn't a lot of course - I'm not even close to raging -
It was the rage of others - as per my later post I found difficult to understand

Of all the players that provoke a ' you know nothing about football' response - Hemdani seems to be in a league of his own

To be fair though - the old board was worse for that - than this thread has turned out to be

Last edited:
Back