Bramall Lane when did it cease being a three sided ground?

Remember being made aware of this when I read Simon Inglis' book on football grounds of GB. Was amazed that they played top flight English football there in the 70's.

Northampton Town had a similar ground.

Remember being made aware of this when I read Simon Inglis' book on football grounds of GB. Was amazed that they played top flight English football there in the 70's.

Northampton Town had a similar ground.

In the early 70s, they hosted Leeds, who were at their peak back then in a Yorkshire derby and there was 60,000 in attendance.

Don't know what the record attendance there is? Though I would imagine it would have been set against Wednesday.

In the early 70s, they hosted Leeds, who were at their peak back then in a Yorkshire derby and there was 60,000 in attendance.

Don't know what the record attendance there is? Though I would imagine it would have been set against Wednesday.
68k ish against Leeds, I don't know when it was but I'm pretty sure it was before the 2nd World War.

I was last in Bramall Lane in 1980 and they still had the old cricket scoreboard inside the ground. An exhibition cricket match involving some famous cricketers took place in Bramall Lane on a mid-week September evening of that year as well. I don't know when the last County Cricket game took place there.

I was unaware of this.

Some images for those of similar ignorance:

sheffield-united-bramall-lane-cricket-pavilion-2-bw-april-1970-legendary-football-grounds.jpg

b25lY21zOjYwMzE5ZTIxLTRjODctNDMwMy1iZDY2LTczYWY5ZGI3YzA5NjpkZjk2OThkMi00NzA5LTRjY2ItOTMyYy1hOTRiNDNlM2Y3NmY=.jpg

article-bramall-lane-1970s.jpg

Back