Brandon Barker - Kicking On

A question for people who think he just needs time and more opportunities before he comes good:

Even if we could afford to do that and even if he did reach his full potential, how good do you actually think he can become? Because unless you think he has potential to be noticeably better than Hagi, Aribo and Roofe there is surely zero point giving him the time?
He's learning a new position and all that comes with that, also his transitions into our defensive shape are quick and on point.
He needs a bit more time to adjust without injuries before I cast him aside as pish or not good enough.
Time will tell on him but he can't bemoan lack of opportunities if it doesn't work out for him.
Btw I think he has the potential to reach Kents level all going well for him.

think we should lay off the guy,he did what was expected of him(keep the tims at bay)and i thought he did that well so can we stop slagging our players and maybe revel in the pumping that we dished out to them at the weekend,all players earned their bread on saturday,barker included

Too many think they can do a better job than Stevie G.

A question for people who think he just needs time and more opportunities before he comes good:

Even if we could afford to do that and even if he did reach his full potential, how good do you actually think he can become? Because unless you think he has potential to be noticeably better than Hagi, Aribo and Roofe there is surely zero point giving him the time?
Two out the three are just coming back from injury. What’s to say it doesn’t happen again 2/3 not the same players necessarily.
We don’t know how the season will pan out if he is here it’s worth giving him game time.

I reckon it will be him and jones as the back up to the position with the other three being the main players.

He tries, I’ll give him that. However, I just don’t think he is up to the level and that’s alright, not everyone is, although I would rather we stopped playing him in big games like Saturday past.

He's learning a new position and all that comes with that, also his transitions into our defensive shape are quick and on point.
He needs a bit more time to adjust without injuries before I cast him aside as pish or not good enough.
Time will tell on him but he can't bemoan lack of opportunities if it doesn't work out for him.
Btw I think he has the potential to reach Kents level all going well for him.
If we manage to win the league giving him game time and he then reaches Kent levels in future seasons I will gladly admit to being wrong. I just can’t see it atm though.

Two out the three are just coming back from injury. What’s to say it doesn’t happen again 2/3 not the same players necessarily.
We don’t know how the season will pan out if he is here it’s worth giving him game time.

I reckon it will be him and jones as the back up to the position with the other three being the main players.
I take the point about the other two being injured but I will admit to being a Hagi fan. He is younger and I think he is probably lacking confidence too as he is not at the top of his game, yet he still shows far more moments of brilliance.

I know many in here do not rate Barker at all but let’s get past that immediately as he clearly has something about him that a number of football people rate including our coaching staff.

For me it’s a clear confidence issue and finding his feet/place in the squad. The problem is between his ears rather than ability.

Most of us, yours truly also, thought he was anonymous on Saturday. But watching the game back I noticed it was his good play that released Kent one on one to win the corner that brought the second goal. Really strong determined good play with a good through ball. But then fast forward to the actual goal and he’s clearly hiding marked not looking to get involved.

Even the goal celebrations his body language (a favourite on here) is that of someone really unsure of his place in the squad. It’s like he’s not one of the boys as basic and simple as that sounds.

I wanted to post something more thorough but pressed post early to let’s leave it at that.

If we could inject the Kent confidence into him I am convinced he would be a very good player.
No offence to the player, but I would like to see Jones get the same amount of chances that Barker has been afforded.Barker has a role in this team, and it may not be glamorous, or sexy, but he is obviously doing it much to the satisfaction of Gerrard and the back room team.
When Zungu is availabile, it will be interesting which of the midfield drops out.Possibly less time for Davo? With Jack back in his place,and less time for Hagi?
One thing for sure.With the midfield playing the way they are right now, consistently, Zungu will have to earn his place to keep the jersey!

If we manage to win the league giving him game time and he then reaches Kent levels in future seasons I will gladly admit to being wrong. I just can’t see it atm though.
Aye it's about opinions, I can see why folk are questioning his ability as he has a meek style about the pitch and does sometimes seem lightweight but their is potential in there.

I know many in here do not rate Barker at all but let’s get past that immediately as he clearly has something about him that a number of football people rate including our coaching staff.

For me it’s a clear confidence issue and finding his feet/place in the squad. The problem is between his ears rather than ability.

Most of us, yours truly also, thought he was anonymous on Saturday. But watching the game back I noticed it was his good play that released Kent one on one to win the corner that brought the second goal. Really strong determined good play with a good through ball. But then fast forward to the actual goal and he’s clearly hiding marked not looking to get involved.

Even the goal celebrations his body language (a favourite on here) is that of someone really unsure of his place in the squad. It’s like he’s not one of the boys as basic and simple as that sounds.

I wanted to post something more thorough but pressed post early to let’s leave it at that.

If we could inject the Kent confidence into him I am convinced he would be a very good player.
Got to admit I would like to have seen Hagi replace him when it was time for him to come off. I thought he played ok. Remember we don't know what instructions he was given by SG and what his role was or how he was to be involved.

Got to admit I would like to have seen Hagi replace him when it was time for him to come off. I thought he played ok. Remember we don't know what instructions he was given by SG and what his role was or how he was to be involved.
The fact is was Jack that came on for him, with Arfield and Jack swapping spaces, kind of does tell us what the instructions were.

What we should all be able to do is fully support Rangers and Rangers staff to first of all do there best and next to develop and improve . That we all want .

additionally we now have clear proof that SG regime is impriv8ng individuals and the collective team and therefore what we all see / or not should be countered by there judgements that they can see important skills and contributions by BB too .

upwards and onwards for us all , Follow Follow is the call

I take the point about the other two being injured but I will admit to being a Hagi fan. He is younger and I think he is probably lacking confidence too as he is not at the top of his game, yet he still shows far more moments of brilliance.
I like Hagi and he’ll be a massive player for us and play plenty But the management thought Hagi wouldn’t do the job needed.

For me, he isnt an improvement on the previous incumbents of that role - Windass, Candeias, Waghorn and Mckay.
I was impressed with him @ Hivs but hasnt quite worked, so far, in blue.
I think he looks a bit lethargic at times, and his closing down was suspect, but as you said, SG clearly rates him and thats all that matters.

I see what you’re trying to say

But I was a bit frustrated with that ball to Kent to be honest. He didn’t put enough on it, Kent had all the space in the world to run onto it and if Barker had hit it a bit harder then Ajer was never getting back to make the challenge and Kent gets a shot on goal away

I just don’t think he’s going to cut it here. I’ve yet to watch him and think ‘oh aye, there’s a player there somewhere’

I understood why Hagi was left out on Saturday given the fixture can be harem scarem to say the least. What unfolded however was a low key tactical affair in which his clever positional play and passing could have had us even more comfortable. If yer Auntie had baws and all that.

I've read on here before about him being highly rated by those who've worked with him before at youth & under 21 level - even preferring him to RK in the past

He must look good in training as well otherwise he'd be on the bench at best
How many games has he started now ?

So if he looks the part in training but is less than effective when he plays in the first team - is it a confidence issue ?

I'm in the category that says he's really not cutting it so far & other guys on the periphery must be thinking - what have I got to do to get the chances he's being given ?

I'm conscious of writing someone off - but I can't see any improvement in all the chances he's had so far - & my patience would have run out a while back

Hopefully he either comes good near enough immediately- or an on form & fully fit squad keeps him on the bench

For me, he isnt an improvement on the previous incumbents of that role - Windass, Candeias, Waghorn and Mckay.
I think he looks a bit lethargic at times, and his closing down was suspect, but as you said, SG clearly rates him and thats all that matters.
I actually think Waghorn would do well in our system playing wide right.

Hes not a prolific scorer, but he tracks back and will create chances for other forwards, while chipping in with a few goals himself.

I actually think Waghorn would do well in our system playing wide right.

Hes not a prolific scorer, but he tracks back and will create chances for other forwards, while chipping in with a few goals himself.

I think Candeis would be a big improvement on Barker as well

He offers next to nothing imo. I don't expect him to be in the same league as Kent, there's a reason we shelled out £7m for him, but I do expect him to offer some form of consistent threat of he is going to play in our front 3.

He is completely incapable of being involved in the type of smart sharp passing move with Arfield and Kamara for the 2nd goal, never mind the stuff Kent can do solo.

He also looks like a frightened wee boy who is making his debut every time he plays.

He is the weak link.

We’re looking hard for something that’s not there with barker.

A fit Aribo or Roofe would see barker out the picture. He got the nod ahead of Hagi based on purely his workrate (something that might give hagi some added motivation).

If jones had a better attitude, Barker would be behind him in the pecking order also.

Reactions: cav
Nah it’s not that simple. I don’t think he was anywhere near good enough at the weekend. That’s the starting point for me.

But I’m looking at him and seeing a very shy quiet guy who clearly needs to find his feet in the squad. I really want to take him to the side and give him a fucking shake and tell him to grab his chance and start backing himself more.
I think you have hit the nail on the head - also the poster who mentioned he doesn't look like he feels he belongs in the celebrations.

Can you be a long term success at Rangers with such a "timid" personality?

FWIW I thought he was ok, no better or worse at the weekend, and as a whole this season he's been decent but I don't think "decent" is going to get much game time with Roofe, Aribo, Hagi and even Jones all competing for that shirt

He's been doing a job this season imo. He's also capable of more. His best game was against Kilmarnock at home when he was given a licence to roam. I had him close to MOM in that game and was definitely the best player 2nd half imo.
I'll say it the now he will produce something when we need it most this season just got a feeling.

Watched the game again yesterday, Barker was very disciplined you could see he was following instructions, he would drop back close the space.
He won the ball a few times and hardly wasted a pass.
His pass to Kent also brought the corner that we scored from.
I think he needs more confidence in his ability.

Agree with the OP, needs to impose himself on the game much much more if he expects to stay in the team. Has ability but not the confidence to use it. Prefer Hagi in that role and much prefer Aribo.

He hid several times. As you mention at corners, throw ins and free kicks he is happy to be marked.

If we had started Hagi or Jones we would’ve battered them.

He must have something about him in training. We cannot rely on Barker to win us games

Is there obvious ability others are seeing that I’m not? It seems so. For the vast majority of his time here I’ve seen poor finishing and difficulty beating defenders through what appears to be a lack of technique or an alternative to a kick and run type move.

Jones is quite similar in that regard, the major difference between the two is Jones looks like he wants the ball and looks quite fearless.

People have lowered the standards for him so much that ok, basically a 5/6 out of 10, is acceptable every time he plays. He was hiding from receiving the ball on Saturday at times, we are just lucky that we don’t need to rely on him so much with roofe and aribo coming back.

People say hagi has to improve his overall game like his work rate which Imo is bollocks. His work rate is very good and he has far better end product than barker. Hagi should have been in the team over barker in Saturday. One example would be the through ball by barker to Kent. Only reason ajer had a chance to tackle Kent when he had the ball was because barker didn’t pass the ball far enough forward to take ajer out the game. If hagi has the ball in that position that’s a goal for Kent. Hagi has already proved this season just how capable he is of the killer final ball with the amount of assists he has.

He feels like this year's Ojo to me. Someone who bafflingly somehow keeps making it into our team sheets despite being nowhere near good enough. I can feel a lot of frustration coming this year from Barker constantly being given a chance over far better players, much like Ojo last year.

I don’t think he is very good. I don’t think he played very well on Saturday. I don’t want to give him a hard time but I just don’t think he’s good enough.
One of these players that I’m not really convinced likes playing football, just falls into it because he was good at it as a kid.

Is there obvious ability others are seeing that I’m not? It seems so. For the vast majority of his time here I’ve seen poor finishing and difficulty beating defenders through what appears to be a lack of technique or an alternative to a kick and run type move.

Jones is quite similar in that regard, the major difference between the two is Jones looks like he wants the ball and looks quite fearless.
Aye, I’m not a fan of Jones and don’t think he is good enough but one thing I can’t deny is he clearly has confidence in himself. I know it has been said to death on here but the mental side of the game is so important for us and, unfortunately, Barker doesn’t look to have it.

I still dont understand why he gets a start so often. Not done anything of note in the time hes been here. He looks lost in a Rangers shirt and no matter how many times he plays it doesnt change. He doesnt look to have the heart either IMO, looks terrified half the time and other times like he cant be arsed.

I posted at halftime that he was a man down and nothing has changed my mind.

Gerrard might not fancy Jones so it has to be Hagi or Roofe in that position going forward.

Not read the thread so this many have already been mentioned but apparently he’s one of the best players in training.

I trust Gerrard. Therefore if he feels barkers good enough, I’ll back him. I’m happy to give Barker a run of games.

Not read the thread so this many have already been mentioned but apparently he’s one of the best players in training.

I trust Gerrard. Therefore if he feels barkers good enough, I’ll back him. I’m happy to give Barker a run of games.
Halliday said this but its no use looking like Messi training if you are anonymous in games.

As I said yesterday, a right hand side version of Kent a properly on it striker and we’d have won 4/5-0 on Saturday.
I think there's an argument that a fit Aribo and Roofe would have seen a proper doing given out in terms of the attacking play and the scoreline.

Back