Brandon Barker

Scored a cracking goal in training yesterday (on the training days video on rtv). Could be in contention for a game tonight.

Its more frustrating for me that Ross couldn't get him out the door

Problem is though - teams of his level league 1 / league 2 in England wont be able / willing to pay 8-10k a week he apparently earning.

sure they have a salary cap for players wages? and the average is somewhere along the lines of 2k a week - still a decent wage - but not when you are making 4/5 times that.

I don't see him getting an offer from the championship who would be able to pay wages he would likely be after.

At least he’s in the final year of his contract. An absolutely pointless signing and his appearances show that. Barely done any thing at Oxford at a lower level.

Problem is though - teams of his level league 1 / league 2 in England wont be able / willing to pay 8-10k a week he apparently earning.

sure they have a salary cap for players wages? and the average is somewhere along the lines of 2k a week - still a decent wage - but not when you are making 4/5 times that.

I don't see him getting an offer from the championship who would be able to pay wages he would likely be after.
Some League 1 and 2 teams pay a lot more than you think.

Mcgeady is on £19K a week at Sunderland and Declan John is on more than £8k at bolton

Last edited:
Not anymore they don’t. The arse is starting to fall out of English football other than the top league.

West Brom, Bournemouth and Fulham are the only teams that have significant spending power in the lower leagues. Most you will get otherwise now is 5k a week.

Why isn't he in the B squad if he's no where near the first team? Games would do his confidence a boost.

Thanks,

Wasn't sure if it followed the (very) old reserve league rules of x players over a certain age.

Every days a school day
Don’t worry about it, you’re actually allowed two proper overage players in the challenge cup but we chose not to use that.*

*Overage player in league games still needs to be U21.

For what it’s worth, the old reserve league was better i reckon.

It may surprise some the number of big games he was involved with us, in some great results,

Impressive he only started one defeat and the 2 he came on in we were already behind.

in no particular order,

Starts, Celtic (A) 2-0, Falkirk(A) 4-0, St Johnstone (A) 4-0, Dundee Utd(H) 4-0, Hamilton (A) 2-0, Kilmarnock(H) 2-0, Leverkusen (A) 0-1, Porto(H) 2-0, Motherwell(H) 2-1, Porto(A) 1-1, Stranraer(H) 2-0

Subs, Feyenoord (H) 1-0, Livi(H) 3-1, Lech Poznań (A) 2-0, Livi (A) 0-0, Hibs (A) 3-0, Aberdeen (H) 5-0, St Mirren (H) 3-0, Lech Poznań (H) 1-0, Celtic (H) 1-0, Hamilton (H) 0-1, Ross County (H) 2-0, Celtic (n) 0-1, Hamilton (H) 8-0, East Fife (A) 3-0, Motherwell(A) 1-1.

As I said in another thread we went through a run of 16 straight games in Europe where Barker, Ojo or Middleton started (Jones & Hastie started 1 each) where we played great stuff and got great results. Very few on this board would have any of them near their team.

Anyone that can’t appreciate that work rate and discipline is more important than skill is clueless. He was picked to do a job, he more often done it.

What we are currently lacking just now is the raw pace and balance a Barker, Ojo or Middleton brought us. For some reason we had an abundance of pacey wide men and rotated them. It was successful. Now we have Kent and Wright but more often than not try to pass our way through teams to score the perfect goal.

Mcgeady is on £19K a week at Sunderland and Declan John is on more than £8k at bolton
Is there not a salary cap at that level? Or have I imaged that?

Is Brandon Barker currently training with any of the squads?
While he’s not the answer to anything on the pitch with the 1st team, he seems to have been totally frozen out unless I’m mistaken.
I keep expecting to see that his contract has been terminated or he’s loaned out somewhere. Andy Firth springs to mind too.
Barker makes the tea for Andy firth who makes the coffee for Jimmy bell- every one plays their part

:)) the bold yin makes the bench tonight!
gn20.png

What is happening with him?

It could perhaps be good if he got some game time with the B team. But he has just turned 25, about the age players lose their 'potential' tag.

It could perhaps be good if he got some game time with the B team. But he has just turned 25, about the age players lose their 'potential' tag.
He is too old for the B team, out with the challenge cup.

Hes too old and would struggle to see the benefit in him doing a young guy we are trying to develop out of a game in any case.

While he’s not the answer to anything on the pitch with the 1st team, he seems to have been totally frozen out unless I’m mistaken.
I keep expecting to see that his contract has been terminated or he’s loaned out somewhere. Andy Firth springs to mind too.

You catch him briefly here from a few days ago so am guessing must be still in the clubs plans one way or the other.

Andy Firth is the social/party/entertainments co-ordinator :))

Andy Firth is the social/party/entertainments co-ordinator :))
“I’d like to apply for the role of full time mascot and events planning.

I also have coaching badges that I acquired during my time at Liverpool, not sure if they are relevant to the role however.

Here’s 5 grand a week”

(Just made that number up before anyone says anything :)))

He’s been sent on loan to Taylor Ferguson to
learn to do hair extensions!

Whatever squad he's training with he's probably the best player in training matches.

That's what we hear about Brandon but he's starting to seem like one of those footballers anyone who plays at any level talks about - "Don't know why he never made it, he was the most talented player I've ever seen."

I think he lacks confidence.

Sad state of affairs if that is the case. Poor judgement on our part if the figures re the wages are true.
Who ever takes him will mean its a gamble.
I do not blame anyone not taking a punt in him.
Maybe Fleetwood with Rossiter is his level.

Arfield made the wrong pass the other day, but at least he was in a position to do so. Should never be anywhere near the squad? Laughable.
Arfield is a far better option and player than Barker, however Arfield should leave in the summer with barker.
A clear out is needed to give us funds for new players

“I’d like to apply for the role of full time mascot and events planning.

I also have coaching badges that I acquired during my time at Liverpool, not sure if they are relevant to the role however.

Here’s 5 grand a week”

(Just made that number up before anyone says anything :)))

It's really an absolute joke that this guy is on a wage with us.

Nothing winds me up more than cunts on FF acting like they know the squads wages.

Just because some people make up things, doesn't mean everybody does.

As strange as it may seem, supporters on here can and do know people close to players.

Back