Bravo Stonehouse Violet

Absolutely magic.

Good Loyalist people in Stonehouse.
I remember years ago driving along the Stonehouse Road from Strathaven past the old hospital. It had a huge corrugated iron fence ran along the length of the hospital.

Right along the entire length of the fence in huge letters read “Stonehouse is a U** Stronghold” :))

As you say, plenty of good Loyalist people in that valley that runs all the way from Newmilns right through to Larkhall.

Our country for sure :))

Fantastic. Will need to go get a look at that. Would sometimes go to watch Stonehouse Violet with my dad on a Saturday if Rangers were away from home, back in the 90s.

I met a girl from Stonehouse in benidorm many moons ago lovely girl called Yvonne Orr went through for a few nights out with her lovely girl from a great family, sadly got killed going to her work in larkhall one morning,her umbrella blew over her face and she got knocked down absolutely tragic

I met a girl from Stonehouse in benidorm many moons ago lovely girl called Yvonne Orr went through for a few nights out with her lovely girl from a great family, sadly got killed going to her work in larkhall one morning,her umbrella blew over her face and she got knocked down absolutely tragic
I knew Big Yvonne well. Lovely lassie.

I think her young sister also died a few years later. Can you imagine the poor mother.
Never knew that mate that's absolutely tragic met her sister and her mum lovely people Yvonne had a flat on the high street had some party that night and the pub across the road can't remember what it was called had to be vouched for in there;!

Never knew that mate that's absolutely tragic met her sister and her mum lovely people Yvonne had a flat on the high street had some party that night and the pub across the road can't remember what it was called had to be vouched for in there;!
Spent the odd drunken night in that flat above the cafe. Across to the right was The Thistle.
Across to the left was the Old Ship Inn.

Great banner.

Pretty sure the bylaw thing preventing a chapel
is a myth. Stonehouse was supposed to be Scotland’s last New Town when EK, Cumbernauld etc were developed but it never happened and part of the reasons was the supposed restriction. I suspect it’s all urban legend, but it’s undoubtedly staunch there.

One of my good mates from school lived in Stonehouse . Sadly passed away when he was in his 40's and his brother then lost his life in a workplace accident in the village. Many a pint was enjoyed in the "Back Road" back in the day.

Many years ago someone not familiar with Stonehouse asked me what it was like and I told him 50/50 he looked puzzled, I then told 50% Rangers and 50% Masonic.

I'm sure in one of the first FF Fanzines they were voted drunkest bus of the season,think it was after a game at Fir Park,either #1 or #2.:)
yip, don't think they were particularly happy about the "award" and made their feelings clear to suck, but im sure everything was fine and suck attended their player of the year award not long after and had a great time

Kirkmuirhill boy here, lived in Stonehouse a few years too. Earlier in the thread someone spoke of the old hospital. Made me feel very old. Still think it’s weird not having Stonehouse Hospital. I never thought I would see the day I would get misty eyed thinking of the Violet cafe.

I was once told that the only difference between Stonehouse and neighbouring Larkhall is that Stonehouse doesn’t have a Chapel or RC School.
You can still go pub crawl in Larkhall....
Sadly you can no longer do that in Stonehouse.
Only the Back Road now exists as an actual pub.

Black Bull (Big Tams local back in the day)
Old Ship, Bucks Head and the Thistle all gone. Shame.

Kirkmuirhill boy here, lived in Stonehouse a few years too. Earlier in the thread someone spoke of the old hospital. Made me feel very old. Still think it’s weird not having Stonehouse Hospital. I never thought I would see the day I would get misty eyed thinking of the Violet
When the Hospital shut it affected the pubs,they used to be jumping with nurses all weekend :)

Back