Brazil 1982 WC

Mustang mad

Still remember staring at my Panini sticker of Socrates, utterly fascinated by this guy who looked unlike any footballer i'd ever seen - like some sort of rock star. Then getting to watch him strut his stuff on telly, and you found out they were even better in real life.

The Brazil kitman had a lit cigarette waiting for Socrates as he walked off the pitch at half-time. :))

He was also a Doctor of Medicine. A great article on the genius below.

A good read on CNN here, with our very own Archie Macpherson eulogising one of the best teams not to win the world cup

Leandro, Oscar, Falcao, Luizinho, Junior. (front l-r) Trainer, Socrates, Cerezo, Serginho, Zico, Eder.
I was at that game and Brazil were certainly some team...

As for Archie McPherson..... having sat beside him (in 1983?) on a plane coming back from Milan after watching the game at Inter, all I can say about him is that he is / was an obnoctious twat with an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

Still remember staring at my Panini sticker of Socrates, utterly fascinated by this guy who looked unlike any footballer i'd ever seen - like some sort of rock star. Then getting to watch him strut his stuff on telly, and you found out they were even better in real life.
Pushing up the daises now

The Pre TV satellite days in the 80s football ,players in South America were still relatively unknown. We could read about the talented Brazilian players in the world soccer magazine but actually watching them,well that was difficult. So World cups were always exciting.
This 82 Brazil team are probably not only greatest team not to have won the world cup they are maybe only second to the Pele 1970 team as the greatest ever Brazil team.
In today's Brazilian world cup squad only the third choice goalkeeper and a 33 year old forward play in Brazil.
In the 1982 squad every player played their club football in Brazil only one player ( falcao ) played in Europe. Though a few followed him after the world cup ended.

Socrates. A doctor, a footballing genius and a mad fag smoker. Falcao as well, amazing player.

40 years later and I still can’t believe that team didn’t win the World Cup. Italy with Rossi weren’t bad all the same!

Had them worried for 15 mins. Can still remember Rough having cement boots on and just watching the ball go past him.

A Paulo Rossi hat trick put them out eventually.
I remain baffled to this day that big Rough was considered our undisputed number 1 for several years.

Was a fully qualified Doctor and smoked 60 cigarettes a day......Did he not score like 66 out of 67 penalties.

The greatest World Cup, by a country mile, in my lifetime. It set the benchmark for all those that followed and still hasn't been remotely matched on any level to this day. Loved football by then anyway but that sealed the deal. Amazing and never to be surpassed now the surprise element has been completely taken out of it due to 24hr football on TV.

An athlete in the purest sense.

What was it 40-60 fags a day?

Had an Alf Tupper poster above his bed.

I was there in Seville, the Brazilians were amazing, our other two games were in Malaga.
Honestly that must have been awesome, as a young 8 year old everyone in my class had a Brazil ( Zico) strip except me I had the red Scotland away.
Great memories of 82 my first WC memory

True cool story bro.

I won a trip to the WC finals through Skol Lager and was so looking forward to seeing Brazil in the flesh in the semi final and ideally the final at the Bernabeu.

When Italy and bastarding Rossi scored 3 the day or so before my bro and me flew out left me gutted.

Have loved Brazil since the magical days of the 1970 Mexico WC, which was in my lifetime the best ever.

Anyway I ended up sitting in the Bernabeu for the final supporting Italy, wearing my Gers top.

Was there many other options?
Not convinced many were much better.

Leighton was around but younger, I seem to remember a guy called George Wood but not much about him, Billy Thomson was at St Mirren at time and I thought he was a good young keeper and the bold Hamish McAlipine wasn't shit.

Jim Stewart was about then and a guy Jim Blyth also.

Last edited:
The Pre TV satellite days in the 80s football ,players in South America were still relatively unknown. We could read about the talented Brazilian players in the world soccer magazine but actually watching them,well that was difficult. So World cups were always exciting.
This 82 Brazil team are probably not only greatest team not to have won the world cup they are maybe only second to the Pele 1970 team as the greatest ever Brazil team.
In today's Brazilian world cup squad only the third choice goalkeeper and a 33 year old forward play in Brazil.
In the 1982 squad every player played their club football in Brazil only one player ( falcao ) played in Europe. Though a few followed him after the world cup ended.
Best team I’ve ever seen.
Style and elegance you just don’t get in football these days.

My first real WC, sat with my Dad as a 9 year old, we annoyed Brazil lol.

Loved them.

Probably weren’t actually as good as I remember them, but the romance of Brazil 1982 for me will never diminish.

why oh why couldn’t they have had a striker
I think the 1st choice striker got injured before the World Cup, and ended up with a player upfront who was like Dino the dinosaur compared to his teammates.

Watched that not too long ago. It’s a cracking story. Can you imagine how bad the conditions would have got in that bus in the heat of Seville and Malaga? :D
Myself and two mates couldn't get a taxi back to Benalmadena after the New Zealand game.Managed to get a lift on a bus back to Torromolinos.
Must have been the same guys as I don't think there would have been two similar buses there.

George Wood of Everton was back up I think. He wasn't much better if I remember rightly. Think Leighton was in the squad as well.
I’m sure he was in goals for Scotland when I was at Wembley 1979 and endured 1-3 defeat. Keegan best player on the pitch if memory serves.

I’m sure he was in goals for Scotland when I was at Wembley 1979 and endured 1-3 defeat. Keegan best player on the pitch if memory serves.
He let in a bad equaliser from Peter Barnes. It kind of trundled into the corner and he looked he was wading through mud to get to it.

A great team, the game against Italy was a World Cup classic.
An excellent world cup, a book I read on that team states they are still held in high regard by Brazilians to this day.
Which could be considered strange as they usually do their best to forget any team that fails to lift the trophy.

During the 1st lockdown, the BBC put together some classic World Cup highlights to fill the slot usually set aside for Football Focus. I think there was about 8 programme's in total, I recorded the lot , but the Brazil - Italy game in the 82 W.C is the 1st game I always watch if I want a quick football fix.
It's like looking at photos of a long lost love, the ending still hurts alittle but the memories make you smile.

Back