Brazil 1982 WC

A great team, the game against Italy was a World Cup classic.
An excellent world cup, a book I read on that team states they are still held in high regard by Brazilians to this day.
Which could be considered strange as they usually do their best to forget any team that fails to lift the trophy.
What is the book called?

I was born in 82 so never got the pleasure of seeing this Brazil team. The USA 94 WC came around and Brazil were on the TV. My Dad said you are about to see something amazing. Watched Brazil's samba style for the first time, amazed by Romario and Bebeto. That is the best Brazil team I have ever seen. The teams of 70 and 82 being before my time.

Wasn’t there some controversy about Rossi being banned for match fixing but the Italian FA reduced his ban so he could play in the World Cup?

As many others have said, the best football team I have ever seen and the reason I have always wanted Brazil to win every World Cup since.

I think that side could only be improved if Pele and Rivelino had been around a bit later.

I was born in 82 so never got the pleasure of seeing this Brazil team. The USA 94 WC came around and Brazil were on the TV. My Dad said you are about to see something amazing. Watched Brazil's samba style for the first time, amazed by Romario and Bebeto. That is the best Brazil team I have ever seen. The teams of 70 and 82 being before my time.
I’d say the 98 team was probably better.

Alan Rough with his fucking perm was a complete pudding when he played for Scotland against Brazil 1982 and even before then….Peru must have been laughing at the lady's front bottom in 1978. Mind you he is still one hell of a pudding if you see him now. I really enjoyed watching Socrates and Zico tear Scotland apart back then under amateur school teacher Roxburgh…such a fucking bellend then!

Socrates. A doctor, a footballing genius and a mad fag smoker. Falcao as well, amazing player.

40 years later and I still can’t believe that team didn’t win the World Cup. Italy with Rossi weren’t bad all the same!
I'm sure I remember a rumour that Souness tried to sign Falcao for us. Does anyone know if there was any truth in this ?

Came across this from Socrates perspective.

That Brazil team was incredible and the names still mean something to folk today.

Best team to not win the World Cup, more than likely.

IIRC Rossi had just finished a 2 year ban for match fixing and was squeezed into the Italy squad.

An amazing team. It's also great to see the stills or footage of that team with, at their feet, the greatest football ever created, the Adidas Tango! It just adds to their aura!

And extra points if they're wearing a pair of Adidas World Cup boots.

I was there in Seville, the Brazilians were amazing, our other two games were in Malaga.
Oh i forgot we nearly never got there, our flights were from Gatwick but we were all chucked off the train by the transport police at Doncaster.

The centre forward Serginho was a big diddy.
He was only included as Reinaldo (Atletico Mineiro) got injured in the lead up to the finals,am sure I read somewhere years ago that Serginho was an unpopular call-up to the squad by players and fans alike

Last edited:
First World Cup I remember. They blew my mind - I was distraught when Italy knocked them out.

Zico - wow

Me too.

My old man took us to that WC for the family holiday and I was a kid, sitting right behind the goal when Narey's shot hit the top corner, can still remember it quite vividly.

After that, it seemed like we never touched the ball and these guys from S America were playing a different game. Sublime.

I was more gutted when Brasil went out, than Scotland.

The centre forward Serginho was a big diddy.

"It wasn't Serginho's fault that Brazil kept only one clean sheet in five games, against New Zealand. It wasn't his fault that Valdir Peres kept goal like Edward Scissorhands. It wasn't his fault that Toninho Cerezo misinterpreted the notion of an homage to the 1970s side and played a staggeringly negligent square-pass to gift Italy a goal. It wasn't his fault that, instead of pushing out at a corner as he was supposed to do, Junior shuffled away from the near post with all the urgency of a slacker on his way to the dentist, thus playing Paolo Rossi onside to score the winning goal. It wasn't his fault that, when Brazil needed a goal in the last 15 minutes against Italy, he wasn't on the pitch because he had been taken off at 2-2."

"It wasn't Serginho's fault that Brazil kept only one clean sheet in five games, against New Zealand. It wasn't his fault that Valdir Peres kept goal like Edward Scissorhands. It wasn't his fault that Toninho Cerezo misinterpreted the notion of an homage to the 1970s side and played a staggeringly negligent square-pass to gift Italy a goal. It wasn't his fault that, instead of pushing out at a corner as he was supposed to do, Junior shuffled away from the near post with all the urgency of a slacker on his way to the dentist, thus playing Paolo Rossi onside to score the winning goal. It wasn't his fault that, when Brazil needed a goal in the last 15 minutes against Italy, he wasn't on the pitch because he had been taken off at 2-2."
Trust the guardian to defend the only Brazilian centre forward in history who couldn't trap a bag of cement.

The greatest World Cup, by a country mile, in my lifetime. It set the benchmark for all those that followed and still hasn't been remotely matched on any level to this day. Loved football by then anyway but that sealed the deal. Amazing and never to be surpassed now the surprise element has been completely taken out of it due to 24hr football on TV.
It always was my fav WC but 2018 is right up there too.

I remember seeing Jimmy Reid,the union official,there.
He was wearing a two piece wool suit.
He must have been boiling. B-D

During the 1st lockdown, the BBC put together some classic World Cup highlights to fill the slot usually set aside for Football Focus. I think there was about 8 programme's in total, I recorded the lot , but the Brazil - Italy game in the 82 W.C is the 1st game I always watch if I want a quick football fix.
It's like looking at photos of a long lost love, the ending still hurts alittle but the memories make you smile.
I watched this during 1st lockdown also

WC 82 was a fantastic tournament. Brazil v Italy a classic game. Best game of the tournament for me was West Germany v France brilliant game but how Schumacher stayed on the park for the assault on Battiston is still baffling

I remember coming home from work and catching the end of that Italy game.
I must admit for me nothing can beat their 1970 team, I was 13 and still have clear memories of that World Cup. I bought the Subbuteo Brazil team, and wrote that line-up inside the box. I can still remember most of them without trying too hard - Felix, Carlos Alberto, Piazza Wilson, Clodoaldo, Jairzinho, Gerson, Tostao, Pele, Rivelino.
That’s only nine, but not bad for 52 years on and halfway into a bottle of malt.

As good as Zico’s free kick was, Eder’s chip was a thing of beauty.

His goal (Socrates too) against the USSR were outstanding too.
Agree 100%. He made it look so easy and it was by no means a clear cut goal
scoring opportunity. Not sure if Rough though he was going to cross so made no attempt to save it but Eder just chipped and placed it to perfection.

I think the 1st choice striker got injured before the World Cup, and ended up with a player upfront who was like Dino the dinosaur compared to his teammates.

If they had a proper striker like Careca who played in Mexico in 86 then they would have cinched Spain 82.

Serginho was nowhere near the level of his team mates.

A good read on CNN here, with our very own Archie Macpherson eulogising one of the best teams not to win the world cup

Leandro, Oscar, Falcao, Luizinho, Junior. (front l-r) Trainer, Socrates, Cerezo, Serginho, Zico, Eder.
It was the best team not to win the cup, including the Dutch sides of the seventies.

Last edited:
Sure it wasn't Marc Falco who he did sign? ;)
No - did a bit of Googling just now and (according to Jeff Holmes book, "1986: Rangers Revolution") Alex Candid Cameron predicted, following an interview with Souness that summer, that we'd be signing a big-name foreign player from Serie A and his prediction was Falcao.

So there you go...

Back