Break between the 2 PSV games

Jimmy Finlayson

I get the arguments that the game will do us no harm with it only being an hours flight etc. And that another game for new players, players who need game time etc is useful too. However, when you have players like Porteous et al you know they are going to make a battle. Hopefully no injuries

I initially wanted the home game second as it'd be good to come back to Ibrox knowing what's required to qualify.

However its worked out well from a league perspective knowing we don't travel before playing hibs, and then we come back from the away result to face County at Ibrox.

It's came together nicely for us on that front.

We still have players searching for full match sharpness. plus the schedule right up to the World Cup starts means we are playing weekend midweek pretty much every week..

Definitely play

I think our easy build up to Seville actually cost us as some of the lads who had been rested lost a bit of sharpness

We are looking better every game. No need to risk losing momentum for the sake of a game against Hivs

I'm not sure why this has become such a talking point. As far as I'm aware nobody at Rangers has requested, or even raised the subject of, any postponement. Its all media driven because PSV have done so.

Rangers appear happy to play the fixture and I think, with us needing as many games as we can to assimilate new players in the build-up to the visit to the DhimDome, its the right thing to do. Injuries can happen in any game. They can also happen in training (or when playing squash or even when making an omelette!).

I get the arguments that the game will do us no harm with it only being an hours flight etc. And that another game for new players, players who need game time etc is useful too. However, when you have players like Porteous et al you know they are going to make a battle. Hopefully no injuries
Flight?

I initially wanted the home game second as it'd be good to come back to Ibrox knowing what's required to qualify.

However its worked out well from a league perspective knowing we don't travel before playing hibs, and then we come back from the away result to face County at Ibrox.

It's came together nicely for us on that front.

Probably takes us longer to get to Aberdeen for an away game than it will to get to Eindhoven.

Travel is irrelevant for this tie.

If players can't handle games against Hibs and Ryan Porteous then we won't go very far this season. We have a big squad for a reason, we do not need a break yet, momentum and extra playing time together will help this squad.
We have enough “men” in the team (going all Graeme Souness here :cool:) to deal with Porteous. It doesn’t mean you just go and stick one on him, it means you confine him to areas of the pitch where he doesn’t get to act like a bully.

I think Colak could give him the runaround all day long and not end up in the pantomime sequence that Morelos v Porteous would become.

We have enough “men” in the team (going all Graeme Souness here :cool:) to deal with Porteous. It doesn’t mean you just go and stick one on him, it means you confine him to areas of the pitch where he doesn’t get to act like a bully.

I think Colak could give him the runaround all day long and not end up in the pantomime sequence that Morelos v Porteous would become.

Your last paragraph is spot on mate, feel morelos is never far from a red against that lady's front bottom. Colak hopefully just as brash with him but a much cooler head given no history with the clown.

Its not April. We should be fit enough to handle them. If we were struggling massively with Injuries then maybe.

In the modern game, where shape and formation is very much focused on this would help.

Happy that they’re going a week without a game prior to second leg. That could work in our favour. Would rather be match sharp before second leg. Our players are used to that.

Your last paragraph is spot on mate, feel morelos is never far from a red against that lady's front bottom. Colak hopefully just as brash with him but a much cooler head given no history with the clown.
Referee sees Morelos and Porteous up against each other and already has a card in his hand.

It’s high time we put these teams in the place they deserve. Too much talk of this being a difficult game in past seasons. Put them to the sword and win with ease.

I'm not sure why this has become such a talking point. As far as I'm aware nobody at Rangers has requested, or even raised the subject of, any postponement. Its all media driven because PSV have done so.

Rangers appear happy to play the fixture and I think, with us needing as many games as we can to assimilate new players in the build-up to the visit to the DhimDome, its the right thing to do. Injuries can happen in any game. They can also happen in training (or when playing squash or even when making an omelette!).
Has Van Bronckhorst given his thoughts on it?

Has Van Bronckhorst given his thoughts on it?
I can't say I've heard him say anything, but concede I've been a bit lax with viewing some of the recent media conferences. Haven't noticed anything from him quoted on here though, and I'm sure it would be.

I can't say I've heard him say anything, but concede I've been a bit lax with viewing some of the recent media conferences. Haven't noticed anything from him quoted on here though, and I'm sure it would be.
I hope he gets asked about it, would be eager hear what he thinks.

You put forward good points but, ultimately, no break for me.
The biggest benefit will be getting the players fitter and familiar with each other’s game.
Other than a potential injury, I don’t see another advantage.

Hibs are honking, it will be a terrible result if we drop points there with that wee Joe Pasquale guy they have in the dugout now.

Misleading headline, but point taken, and Van Bronckhorst makes a good point for the game to be played; although it's not really about the St. Johnstone game. To have it as an option would have been good.
Another issue would be when to fit in the postponed game, given basically every midweek is likely to be taken up. Worst case scenario, were we to lose at the DhimDome, is that we go into each game for several months being a minimum 6 points behind, albeit with a game in hand. That ramps up the pressure considerably.

I'd rather play, and win.

Last edited:
The day we start worrying about the likes of Ryan Porteous is the day we give up.

We’ll take care of business.
Nothing to do with any of that. These days shape and formation is a big factor preparing for games; a week doing that for PSV would be good. If PSV are doing it, they are doing it for a reason.

The strange thing is that I heard yesterday that Saturday's game might be off if the league grant us permission to get game off to get the team ready for the game in Eindhoven next Wednesday
Heard from somebody reliable or just the usual Whats App crap? Theoretically we might be waiting to see how it goes tomorrow but, in reality, this close to the game with tickets sold and the match live on Sky I'd say its not happening.

To be clear, I don't think we should be looking for a postponement anyway. Primarily because it isn't needed but, more importantly, because with no free midweeks until after the break it would consign us to potentially be chasing the Dhims for months on end - into next year probably.

Heard from somebody reliable or just the usual Whats App crap? Theoretically we might be waiting to see how it goes tomorrow but, in reality, this close to the game with tickets sold and the match live on Sky I'd say its not happening.

To be clear, I don't think we should be looking for a postponement anyway. Primarily because it isn't needed but, more importantly, because with no free midweeks until after the break it would consign us to potentially be chasing the Dhims for months on end - into next year probably.
strangely mate it was one of my supervisors as we were talking about this week's work coming up and after our manager had told us all the shifts and the supervisor mentioned it and he's a Hivs fan

Look no further than our substitutes line up in any given match- they are more than capable of taking care of business - plus we can choose either to rest or give more minutes in the leg’s to those coming back from injury or players still settling in and adapting to our style of play - feck porteous he will lose it regardless of who is on the pitch

Last edited:
Porteous seems to be more highly rated on here than amongst Hibs fans.

The guy is garbage.

Nothing to do with any of that. These days shape and formation is a big factor preparing for games; a week doing that for PSV would be good. If PSV are doing it, they are doing it for a reason.
OP raised the point of potential injuries against a side like Hibs. It’s an inherent risk with any fixture before a Euro tie.

I disagree that a week of training & drills is more beneficial than gametime & minutes in the legs; we could practice all week then need to change our system when we see how PSV set up on the night.

We’ll be ready & keeping momentum up in this run of games will help.

Back