Brechin memories

Jamie19892017

Nine years. Seems like a lifetime. I watched the game with my arsehole of an ex, in her living roim.

As I've covered on here before, our decline coincided with my own. Rangers kept me going when literally nothing else did.

I recall sleeping in on the day we beat St Johnstone 4-1 on the last day of 11/12, wondering if I had missed my club's last ever game. The last thing keeping me alive was on the brink.

Fast forward nine years and we're going for 56. No point to this post other than to profess my love for our football club.

It’s a relevant post mate because we will all remember that period for all the same reasons. When your life is going slowly down the shitter there was always Rangers, then we were all in the shitter together. I think that’s why the love for the club has exploded. We all had a chance at looking at a world with Rangers irrelevant, we did not like it and in spite of all our own personal challenges we all fought to be part of the recovery. We can all now take a bow, 55 was everyone of us.

Most people say ‘the hedge’

The boy climbing the floodlight was probably better.

Such relief we were playing football.

No Surrender Spiderman.

It was a strange day. The bus pulling up and international footballers and guys who had played in a European Final for us climbing out alongside "trialists" when we didn't know for sure who was going to be on the bus.

Then the sheer relief at the point the teams came out. The early goal thinking this is gonna be easy to the equaliser, extra time and the realisation that it was absolutely not going to be easy.

Watched it with one on my best mates in his living room. Just delighted that we still had a club to support. Little did we know the journey that was ahead of us. It’s Been a fucking roller coaster but last season made it all worth it

Watched it in the Ibrox bar Marmaris, it was buffering like mad, a Celtic fan on holiday with his Rangers supporting mates sorted it( everybody was connected to their WiFi, so we all turned it off on our phones) always loved that strip.

Going to the Milan fundraiser, buying the red and black scarf, waking up each day (and the next day and the next day ad infinitum it felt like) knowing I still had a club to support, because there were nights I fell asleep when that didn't feel like a given.

That day at Brechin, when we were able to put 11 blue jerseys on the pitch and start the journey was such a relief.

Back in the day, I might have taken our titles and cups and doubles and trebles a wee bit for granted - last year was the first year I actually shed tears as our captain raised the silver above his head.

I was up at my mums at the time watching it and, knowing how many times I'd celebrated us winning stuff (I'm 44), she couldn't get why I was so emotional this time.

You don't know what you've got until it's nearly gone.

Searing sunshine then a rainstorm. Sums up the past 9 years in one game
It sounds like a clichéd TV drama but it really was like that.

Roasting hot, drinking a pint outside the wee pub because it was so full, thinking 'maybe this lower league stuff won't be so bad'.

The staek realisation when you got in that the view from the hedge wasn't quite what was promised - a metaphor for Charles Green if ever there was one.

Taking the lead early - the hubris of still being the big dogs.

Rare moment of levity - the floodlight climber.

Place is well oversold - the greed of so many who wanted our custom but not our team.

Conceding as a part-timer out-foxed two international centre backs - the reality kicks in.

Pouring rain and misery. Some head for the stand or the car but the faithful stay put.

Seemingly never-ending as it goes to et.

But in the end, the sun comes out and the Rangers prevail.

Been to every single one of the wee grounds with my boy he was 6-7 during our bad times and wondered each season when will we become too dogs again and to walk up to Ibrox the day we won the league with my boy at now 17 with a tear in my eye was an exceptionally emotional day. We are back to our rightful place as kings of Scotland and we’re not planning of moving any time soon TIMMY .

Went to the game and it wasnt much to watch but at the end of the day we had a team out and that was all that mattered.

Pre match we went to a hotel that had set a bar up in the car park as they were desperate to get as much money off us as possible as i think all these places thought we wouldn't be there for long.

Although it went to extra time it still wasnt as dramatic as the 4-3 game versus them in League 1

Think my overwhelming emotion was relief, because I wasn't sure what was going to happen over that summer.

The novelty of rising through the divisions wore off pretty quickly.

Rocking up at Montrose Station and getting a bus to Brechin with other bears incredulous we had come up from Stoke for the game. Tickets in the cemetery end. What a day.

Remember thinking it was the best day at the football I have had in years.

Loved the terracing and everything about it. Fast forward 6 months and we are leaving games after 20 minutes and watching them in the local boozer.

Never been as drunk in my life following rangers that season.

It was great to be back but as other posters said reality soon sunk in that we were in the lower leagues of Scottish football.

If I remember right it started pissing down late in the game may have been extra time.

Boy from our bus got huckled after the game for singing during the game. This was the start of things to come from those in power. Think he got a 18 month ban.

A surreal time.

The St Johnstone game was good. Fatty what's the score and fatty canny take it hilarious.

Then the uncertainty was horrible and those that wanted us dead, media lies and being taken over by an utter bell end and bunch of con men utterly grim but we survived and were back playing at Brechin.

We played shite. Kyle Hutton probably our best player on the day! I was there and remember a big bright rainbow on way to bus. I didn't think of it as anything other than a rainbow. Others may have thought it's a sign: :)

Many years of struggles, incompetent management, Stranraer, Alloa, Annan, Stirling, Ramsden cup final loss, spivs, dogs and caravans, Mexicans, battles with a fat greedy bastard, distractions, talk of mcinness but we finally got it right and look at our squad now.

Never forget.

Remember thinking it was the best day at the football I have had in years.

Loved the terracing and everything about it. Fast forward 6 months and we are leaving games after 20 minutes and watching them in the local boozer.

Never been as drunk in my life following rangers that season.

to be fair one of the best domestic away days I’ve had was in the lower leagues. Away to Stranraer. What a day out for us Ulster bears. Straight off the boat at 9.30am and taking over Stranraer. The boat on the way home like the old days of a sash bash the whole way home. Drunkest I’ve ever been at a game I think.

remember Arbroath away on a Monday night in mid November. Standing freezing my balls off wondering why the hell we put ourselves through it

to be fair one of the best domestic away days I’ve had was in the lower leagues. Away to Stranraer. What a day out for us Ulster bears. Straight off the boat at 9.30am and taking over Stranraer. The boat on the way home like the old days of a sash bash the whole way home. Drunkest I’ve ever been at a game I think.

remember Arbroath away on a Monday night in mid November. Standing freezing my balls off wondering why the hell we put ourselves through it
If that was the 3-0 game you're on about I am embarrassed to say I missed work the next day blotto. Bus didn't get back until 1am and it was wild.

26 years old at the time phoning in sick for work because I was steaming on a Monday night in Arbroath kind of sums up my 20's.

If that was the 3-0 game you're on about I am embarrassed to say I missed work the next day blotto. Bus didn't get back until 1am and it was wild.

26 years old at the time phoning in sick for work because I was steaming on a Monday night in Arbroath kind of sums up my 20's.
I took 2 days off work for it as I travelled from NI lol

Standing at the hedge, the rain then sun then the rain.
Being in the background of a picture when Jig was celebrating his goal.

Wee bevy sitting listening to music, I know I know who it is, but this thread came right into my mind.

Another then bed, enjoy the game tomorrow everyone self isolating so Sky and Tennant’s for me.

Last edited:
Remember being talked to by a German football magazine in a pub and boys from our bus having to double it to get in. What an amazing loyal support we have. As somebody else has said, buzzing because we still had the Rangers but reality set in 30 minutes later after kick off. One of our bus flags is now synonymous with this game as it was hanging on a barrier at the half way line. This time in our history should never be forgotten and should reminds us what happens when we let unscrupulous people with no love of the Rangers to get involved. During our 9 in a row period I think at times we became complacent and did not win as many trophies as we should have but after this dark period of our history, complacency should never happen again. From today let us grind them into the ground and make every day of every week a living nightmare for them where being second is natural for the scum. I am just about to be a grandad, God willing and he will be a Rangers fan so by the time he is 10 we will be going for 11 in row. Enjoy the day troops, we deserve it. WATP.

Back