Brendan Rodgers

He has that knack of getting players really playing for him - that can't be a coincidence. You feel like Leicester have that togetherness that they had when they won the league and indeed similar to Liverpool last season.

I think they will still fly under the radar this season but maybe come up just short as they don't tend to do that well against the other top clubs.

A decent manager whose leaving will haunt the mentally challengeds forever.

However, I don’t care what anyone says - he shat it from Gerrard and the SPFL after that game at Ibrox where Jack scored the winner.

I concur about the good manager views but why all the hate? It's not just because of his time at the bheasts surely. Have I missed something? Does he have a past?

McLeish has a better record than him.
McLeish isn’t actively managing and hasn’t been in a big job at club level for a number of years. Love him or hate him, and I certainly fall into the hate camp, I can admit when someone is good at their job. Rodgers is currently the best British manager that is actively involved in football at the minute.

Rodgers is the reason they’re so deluded in thinking they’ll be getting managers like Poch! They are now going to pay the price for splashing out under him and Lennon, downsizing like we had to after Advocaat. That’s why they got Lennon in the first place a cheap patsy!

Interesting game tonight, Chelsea had almost double the number of passes but only one stat counts as the old cliche goes. Chelsea really need to replace Tammy Abraham with a better striker.
Brutal - can’t see frank being around much longer with the way the hierarchy are at the bridge

I think he's good coach but think he's also improved as a manager since leaving them tbh. He's been a bit more adaptable with Leicester, they sit in and counter attack if needed and has done better with them this season in Europa League than he previously has with any of his other clubs in Europe.

I don't think they'll ever recruit a better manager than him but it's interesting to note that they even let the rot set in with him at the helm. Arrogance, complacency and a shite infrastructure saw them fail to ever address their defensive issues and their recruitment more often than not saw an inferior player replacing any outgoing player. It's just more often than not this was in never in danger of being exposed at the time as they were considerably better than everyone in Scotland at the time.

They bottled a top 4 finish big time last season which never gets mentioned. Where they not in the top 4 for 90% of the season or something mad like that before flopping when the season restarted.

However he is clearly getting alot out of that squad. Vardy is probably the only player they have who is close to being world class, with Maddison perhaps on his way there, yet they're undoubtedly in the mix for the title.
I don’t think they bottled it, they had bad luck with injuries, a good few of there best players got injured at the same time and they never had the squad to cope.

Brendan was there for terry munroe then left, they are failing now and looking south at leicester hating the guy.
He is a good manager no doubt and that is killing them also.

He's a decent manager but things usually go downhill for him after a couple of seasons as his signings aren't the greatest. The same thing was happening at the scum in the season he left.

Its a strange one with him, he is obviously a talented coach but I think his recruitment at them, bar a couple of obvious quality players, was incredibly hit and miss. It strikes me he is better at improving players than he is at talent-spotting them. It was a similar story at Liverpool.

Leicester were well on the way to finish 4th last season until Covid interrupted the league, they struggled on return. Brenda is a good manager, and if you don’t believe me, just ask him. :)

I’ve honestly never rated him, even at Liverpool. It was that documentary on channel 5 that did it for me, he just talked utter garbage and was so false. I suppose dumb players just fall for it. He had a free hit while he was up here.
Liverpool fans I’ve met hate him and never really rated him either.

Celtic Reserves are bigger than Leicester said Sutton B-D
Left for a far bigger club, even without European football in a far bigger league, working with far better players and it's telling he hasn't bought a single Celtic Superstar or even poached any of these wonderkids they claim to have.

Leicester also behaved like a big club, chose their man and said you come now or not at all. Exactly as it should be but apparently Celtic should be waiting until the summer, perhaps their not as big as they say?

No danger are Leicester a bigger club than the bheggars.

No danger are Leicester a bigger club than the bheggars.
Plenty disagree with me mate but I don't think the thread needs to go down a what makes a club 'big' route.
Clearly History and honours count more for some than they do for others and stadium, training ground, investment, finances, manager, coaching, players, wages, standard of play in the here and now count more for others

When the Tims imploded recently , it was similar to when Rodgers left - they turned on him- how dare he leave their beloved club and joing a club with decent morals , and triple his wages !

He’s a tremendous coach who can take players to much higher performance levels.

They enjoyed him there but they never truly appreciated what they had.

Too busy shouting Sevco and tugging themselves furiously like a little chimp over invented financial blogs.

Never mind, they got what they deserved in the end.
Funny as %^*&.

Plenty disagree with me mate but I don't think the thread needs to go down a what makes a club 'big' route.
Clearly History and honours count more for some than they do for others and stadium, training ground, investment, finances, manager, coaching, players, wages, standard of play in the here and now count more for others

Fair enough mate but like it or not we are a pretty similar size of club to Celtic and no danger would I ever consider Leicester City to be a bigger club than Rangers.

He hit the jackpot with Leicester.

A team with great owners who like to spend, a proper scouting set up, and a fanbase that isn't as demanding as the other big clubs. The stadium is great and they've just opened their new training ground — arguably the best in Europe, complete with an on-site golf course.

Rodgers would be bonkers to swap all that for a basketcase like Arsenal. Leicester are levels above them in terms of how they go about their business. It's a club doing things the right way.

He's a manager who spends money, but one who loves working with and improving players. He's a top coach in the truest sense.

He hit the jackpot with Leicester.

A team with great owners who like to spend, a proper scouting set up, and a fanbase that isn't as demanding as the other big clubs. The stadium is great and they've just opened their new training ground — arguably the best in Europe, complete with an on-site golf course.

Rodgers would be bonkers to swap all that for a basketcase like Arsenal. Leicester are levels above them in terms of how they go about their business. It's a club doing things the right way.

He's a manager who spends money, but one who loves working with and improving players. He's a top coach in the truest sense.

Agree with every word.

I have been a fan of him since watching his Swansea side in The Championship years ago. They played really good, progressive football. I was gutted when The Tims got him and the day he left was the day the tide slowly started to turn in our favour.

I know he's one of them but he isn't the bitter, republican type so now he's away from them I enjoy watching his teams again.

The Chelsea job just seems made for him. Look at how many excellent young players they have that are struggling to reach their potential currently. Werner, Havertz, Pulisic, Ziyech, Odoi, Gilmour, Mount etc. He would be licking his lips about getting a hold of that squad and what he could do with them.

Fair enough mate but like it or not we are a pretty similar size of club to Celtic and no danger would I ever consider Leicester City to be a bigger club than Rangers.
We'd very much be susceptible to losing our manager to a similar level club like Leicester same as the filth were, modern game is running riot with pound notes being the winner unfortunately

Watched Gerrards interview with Neville the other day and he said he enjoyed playing under Rodgers more than any other managers. Clearly has something as a coach but is still a massive tadger
If only Gerrard had played under Klopp he wouldn’t be saying that

Agree in part.

When he left Liverpool he didn't want to take any old shite for fear of his stock dropping, but instead of sitting on his arse waiting on the sidelines consigned to the scrap heap with the likes of Alan Pardew, he saw the poets as a perfect opportunity to go and win trophies and come out of it on the other side with a domestic record that backed up his credentials. You can't fault him for that

The Leicester job came at the right time for him. I dont think he "shat it" and ran, it did however look like he was growing bored of life at the poets and when a recent premier league winning side come knocking then he was always going to take it.

He is revolting but he is an excellent coach and knows what he is doing. Shite bag? Not for me. Self driven and played the poets for fools - he absolutely fuckin used them to get what he wanted instead of sitting waiting for a call to come in from a relegation threatened west ham for example.

Scum tho.
Part of it was also that their board wouldn’t back him for the new players he wanted, meaning:
a) no chance of making any European impact to bump his stock up higher; and
b) increased danger of the equivalent of this season happening while he was in charge and him being the guy who blew 9.75*

Do his teams not usually fall away in the last quarter of the season? I'm sure he had this issue at Swansea, at Celtic it didn't really matter as his team were so much better than everyone else in the league at that point.

We'd very much be susceptible to losing our manager to a similar level club like Leicester same as the filth were, modern game is running riot with pound notes being the winner unfortunately
True mate but there is a difference between being a richer club and a bigger club.

And it could have been so much better considering 4 of the 5 games they've lost have been home v Fulham, West, Ham, Vila and Everton. Rodgers is a really good coach who has improved most clubs he has been at with the only real failure at Reading.
The problems tend to start when he gets his hand on the mastercard

Its a strange one with him, he is obviously a talented coach but I think his recruitment at them, bar a couple of obvious quality players, was incredibly hit and miss. It strikes me he is better at improving players than he is at talent-spotting them. It was a similar story at Liverpool.
I think that’s part of why he left. Realised that he had to take the next decent opportunity he got or he’d be left with a squad lacking real quality, a resurgent rangers team and folks actually looking at his European record. One thing you can not accuse him of, he always looks after himself first and foremost. As good a coach as he is/was has he left any kind of legacy at Celtic? Ok if/when Lennon goes there much is down to his time but realistically I think there is only 4-6 players you’d think are good enough for the first 11 and 2-3 of them want out. For us (let’s not compare coaching) if we had to replace Gerrard I think we’ve a good squad of players and likely only 2-3 additions to first team.

For Rodgers - this season seems very unusual down south and more a who is less crap will win it rather than who’s best. Similar to their last league win. I’d still expect Liverpool/city/Spurs/even Man U to go on a run of games now it’s getting closer to the end. I mean surely they must!!??

Agree with the above.

His best players at Celtic were arguably those already there. He took a lot of bang average players in that Celtic side up a level and they have never hit those heights again.

When you look back and think how much he was backed, you can see why their biscuit tin mentality board didn't sanction the McGinn signing given how much money he had wasted on dross Gamboa, Kouassi, Toure, de Vries, Commper and Hendry. Arguably another pivotal moment in the momentum change given how much Rangers have dominated Old Firm games since he left.

I think he is a good coach and in the short term I believe players buy into what he is doing. I think tactically he gets found out at times, proven by his time at Celtic and Liverpool. Just didn't want to change his style of play or setup. Trying to play Barca with the same setup he does against St Mirren at Parkhead, just ridiculously naive. At Liverpool he refused to change, that Chelsea game Liverpool were too open playing against a manager who is famed for having teams that counter attack.

If he was signing those players at Celtic and Liverpool then there is another question around his ability to pick a player, if the rumours are true and he had literally no say on the signings that came in for both then he was done a disservice by both clubs. I think he saw what was coming, he knows Gerrard, he knows what type of character Gerrard is and that players respect and buy into him. He saw what was happening at a board level with Celtic and he decided to move while his stock was high because if he stayed and started losing to a rookie manager in a two horse race then he would be struggling to get a club like Leicester. He also knew you don't bring in a manager with the name of Gerrard who is a global brand and give him 500k a year to spend, he knew there was going to be investment. I think he also knew if it came down to him or Gerrard as a choice for a player most will go with Gerrard because of the player and captain he was.

Part of it was also that their board wouldn’t back him for the new players he wanted, meaning:
a) no chance of making any European impact to bump his stock up higher; and
b) increased danger of the equivalent of this season happening while he was in charge and him being the guy who blew 9.75*
Yeah. I think he realised that he had taken them as far as he could, and that without significant investment they were going to continue to get horsed on the European Stage. Perhaps them getting into the group stages of the CL was the worst thing for him, he might have fared better in the Europa League entering at the earlier stages and building some momentum. However, watching Broon and co going up against Mbappe / Messi etc was just fucking comical!

For the most part he did what he went there to do and that was to dominate domestically. He used the poets and got what he wanted then fucked off sharpish when a fairly attractive job came along - he had completely checked out mentally when leicester came calling.

I always wonder if Rodgers would have been on the cards had we lost that Semi Final under Warburton.
Apparently the "antics' of our Directors that day prompted dirty desmond to go for Rodgers

Back