Brendan Rogers has been eliminated from all 5 knockout ties

I was talking to a Liverpool friend this morning who told me how mad he is in these games, comparing him to what he called “the master of two-legged football matches in Benitez.

Given Leicester took him after complete failure in Scotland where the only measure of success was Europe due to being a one horse race, I don’t think they got him to do well in Europe.

Poor record right enough. But I would like to think he will be giving Stevie G the lowdown on Prague.
That's a great point. What was Rodgers relationship like with the Gaffer? I'd like to think the Leicester boss will be professional and be proactive in offering his assistance to one of his former players.

Then we can sit back and watch the massive seethe emanating from the deluded in response.
:))

Do you think its almost down to arrogance? His point blank refusal to adjust the way his teams play no matter what. His tactics with the mentally challengeds in Europe were suicidal.

I would put him down as one of the top 10 coaches in the world, but that European record isn’t good enough.

In short, yes.

Although what I would say is from watching Leicester this season in the EPL, they are certainly not as open and expansive as a normal Rodgers team. They play with a back 5 and play deep, hitting on the counter, so he does seem to be adapting.

I don't know how serious they were taking the EL as he obviously left some bodies out. They are looking good for Top 4 so he maybe seen it as a distraction.

I still have a few question marks about Rodgers as a manager. Firstly, his Euro record. Secondly, im not convinced he can consistently improve a team after his initial impact. Some managers are short-term impact managers, some can build a team long-term. Rodgers has yet to convince me he can accomplish the latter.
I’ve never rated him. Liverpool supporting friends of mine didn’t rate him.

Overrated
He is obviously a good coach.
However, his timing in coming to Scotland was brilliant.
He could really do no wrong and also got lucky with Rangers in his first season, where we had just made the step back into the top division and were way behind the curve in squad strength, and then with the appointment of Caixinha who actually managed to create disarray instead of moving us forward.

Gerrard took over chaos and had to basically start all over again, but from day one the signs were there that Gerrard was not the mug of previous appointments.
Rodgers was then fortunate in the timing of the Leicester offer because the tide although not turned, was beginning to look to those who weren't Rangers haters, that it would turn in time.

Rodgers buggered off when his stock was at its highest in domestic terms.
Anyone looking a wee bit harder could see he was more or less useless in Europe and got less from more in his results.

Gerrard has built a team that wins in Europe and in doing so, has proved that such a team can take care of domestic football as well.

Judge me in Europe, is for a side like Rangers or indeed The Filth, the real measurement of success.

I still have a few question marks about Rodgers as a manager. Firstly, his Euro record. Secondly, im not convinced he can consistently improve a team after his initial impact. Some managers are short-term impact managers, some can build a team long-term. Rodgers has yet to convince me he can accomplish the latter.
I’m sure I read during the week that Leicester are the only side that hasn’t been outside of the top 4 this season... they have something about them.

How much is the manger vs how much is the players is always up for debate. Either way, I’m glad that they were out of the Europa after last night because I couldn’t have fancied playing them.

I think Rodgers is a good manager but he really fancies himself as a genius and it is extremely entertaining from the outside.

I remember him at Liverpool. Played Real in Madrid, left out most of his team (including Gerrard) to keep them fresh for Chelsea about 4 days later. Imagine how Gerrard must have felt, not being picked for Bernabaeu.

There is no doubt he is a decent coach and a decent man manager but his tactics have to be questioned. His transfer dealings need to be questioned

In short, yes.

Although what I would say is from watching Leicester this season in the EPL, they are certainly not as open and expansive as a normal Rodgers team. They play with a back 5 and play deep, hitting on the counter, so he does seem to be adapting.

I don't know how serious they were taking the EL as he obviously left some bodies out. They are looking good for Top 4 so he maybe seen it as a distraction.
Don't watch much of the EPL but I wonder if this set up just means he's smart enough to get the most goals out of Jamie Vardy. What will he do if he retires.

I saw a lot of Liverpool when they nearly won the title because it was enjoyable watching Suarez carry the team. To me his reputation is based on this.

European football isn't for everyone.

No idea why English clubs are desperate to reach the top 4 then when they actually reach Europe they do %^*& all.
I remember arsenal playing a weakened side in the CL knock out stages against Barca a few years ago as they were narrowly down from first leg and wanted to concentrate on the big league game at weekend as they were pushing for a top 4 place.

Think about that for a second; playing a weakened side in a winnable CL tie so you can concentrate on a match that will help you get into the CL...

Don't watch much of the EPL but I wonder if this set up just means he's smart enough to get the most goals out of Jamie Vardy. What will he do if he retires.

I saw a lot of Liverpool when they nearly won the title because it was enjoyable watching Suarez carry the team. To me his reputation is based on this.
Suarez carried a team that had Gerrard in it?

Why can’t we just be honest and reasonable and admit he’s a good coach? We just make ourselves look silly otherwise

I remember him at Liverpool. Played Real in Madrid, left out most of his team (including Gerrard) to keep them fresh for Chelsea about 4 days later. Imagine how Gerrard must have felt, not being picked for Bernabaeu.
I remember that. I’m not a Liverpool fan but I was shocked that a club of their european pedigree could go to Madrid in what should have been a serious bragging rights encounter with respect to the CL and basically hand them the game.

Of course it helps Vardy. He's one of the best in the world when he has space to run into.

Rodgers is a terrific coach though it's silly to suggest otherwise. He's done a good job everywhere he has been.

Suarez carried a team that had Gerrard in it?

Why can’t we just be honest and reasonable and admit he’s a good coach? We just make ourselves look silly otherwise
Huge generalisation but it shows the lack of tactical knowledge I have. I don't often watch a game and see the good stuff all the players do.
I do know that he took over Swansea and continued and improved on the previous coaches by getting to the EPL.
I wasn't rubbishing him.

Brendan “Judge me on Europe” Rodgers got papped out of the Champions League by a rubbish AEK Athens side with Barkas in goals who went on to lose all their group games scoring only 2 goals across 6 games. They also finished 3rd in league, 23 points off first. Their real decline started after that loss.

Guardiola
Klopp
Ancelotti
Tuchel
Zidane
Simeone
Conte
Allegri
Benitez
Emery
Mancini
Mourinho
Biesla
Lucescu
Pochettino
Flick
Moyes
Gerrard

Who out of them is Rodgers better than? And that's just Europe.
Gerrard, Moyes, Flick, Lucescu, Benitez, Mancini, Zidane & arguably Emery.

Lets not go on achievements years & years ago, otherwise we are as well flinging SAF in to the mix.

Back