Brendan Rogers helps celtic bank £3m on Edouard

In the SPL and other smaller leagues lots of players need to be signed with the intention of selling for a profit because there is so little TV money. Champions league money cannot be relied on because it is quite difficult to qualify.

In the EPL clubs can afford to sign players and lose money on their transfer fee because there is so much TV money.

The Portugese league is similar to the SPL a couple of big clubs and loads of small ones, so there isn't much TV money it. To survive clubs like Benfica and Porto have to develop players and sell them, Benfica seem to be one of the best teams in the world at making profit from players, in the last 10 years they have taken in about £1bn in transfer fees and spent way less than that so have made huge profits.

We need to be shrewd in our transfer policies too, players need to be sold before they get too old and their values decline and we lose money on them, younger players need to be signed who can be developed and sold on for big money. It doesn't make business sense spending millions on older players in their mid to late 20s with a declining transfer value who we are guaranteed to lose money on.
This is exactly right. My view is we should be selling players this season as that protects our financial position going forward.

our squad should be constantly evolving so we never again have to sign 6 or more in a window. That is when expensive mistakes are made.

On the one hand Scottish clubs need to buy low, develop players, sell high and make a profit. This is the model for success.

On the other, it doesn't matter if we let players run down their contract and sell them for exactly what we bought them for, ergo no/minimal profit.

OK then....

Apparently Rodgers now after Patson Daka, Edouard will still be a Celtic player until January when he will leave for a token amount.
So you buy Eduoard for 9mil and a few years later he leaves for nothing.

Look forward to his fan club coming back to tell us how they actually make a tonne of profit on that because of amortisation and other accountancy tricks. ;)

Last edited:
So you buy Eduoard for 9mil and a few years letter he leaves for nothing.

Look forward to his fan club coming back to tell us how they actually make a tonne of profit on that because of amortisation and other accountancy tricks. ;)
I’m certain this media just makes up rubbish with them. He was never a £30m player but thanks to them they’ve got the deluded believing they have missed out on Celtic‘s kitty being £30m up, then £15m up and reality will be £1m in Jan if they are lucky.

I’m certain this media just makes up rubbish with them. He was never a £30m player but thanks to them they’ve got the deluded believing they have missed out on Celtic‘s kitty being £30m up, then £15m up and reality will be £1m in Jan if they are lucky.
Nothing would make me laugh harder

I still expect he will go this summer

I still expect it will be a deal at about 5mil upfront give or take with clauses that "could see it reach" 12mil or so

And I know it will be an undisclosed fee that the Scottish press will report at 18mil +

Nothing would make me laugh harder

I still expect he will go this summer

I still expect it will be a deal at about 5mil upfront give or take with clauses that "could see it reach" 12mil or so

And I know it will be an undisclosed fee that the Scottish press will report at 18mil +
It'll be a miracle if they make the CL. He's their highest paid player & hasn't kicked a ball in a year. Celtc will be desperate to get him out the door before he walks free in Jan. Summer 'undisclosed fee' seems a cert.

Last edited:
Just playing devils advocate here. Why would they lie about getting more money than they actually are. If their fans see money coming in to the club and don't see it being reinvested then it would backfire on the board, no?
See Frimpong as a perfect example....

Surprise surprise it looks as if their media have got this wrong, once again.

Every season they try to whore out this player, next season with a £0 price tag and they might finally get it right.
Was pretty confident Leicester weren’t paying £15-18 mil on this guy

Hence why they’ve now gone and tied up the guy from abroad

Celtic’s placemen in the media fcuked them here by setting them up for ridiculous values they could never achieve?

Was pretty confident Leicester weren’t paying £15-18 mil on this guy

Hence why they’ve now gone and tied up the guy from abroad

Celtic’s placemen in the media fcuked them here by setting them up for ridiculous values they could never achieve?
I know, its funny. All they are doing is setting their deluded compatriots for a fall.

Googled it before I sent the message and read a local Leicester paper, talks have stalled apparently and they have turned their attention to Daka for £30m, the idiots over priced him.

Just playing devils advocate here. Why would they lie about getting more money than they actually are. If their fans see money coming in to the club and don't see it being reinvested then it would backfire on the board, no?
It’s worked for them with pushing fees up but now that things aren’t going so well and their fans think they’re cash rich. Now their fans are in a huff and want money back for not getting into games etc. They weren’t that cash rich in the first place as I think they floof their accounts but with the covid hit and player value drop it’s hitting them hard at the worst possible time. Karma, I think they call it.

He'll leave this year. The values they get seem irrelevant when you consider the Tierney money. They did a good job of replacing him didn't they?

If they're interested I hear Pena is available on a free and his last club claim he's world class.

I'm always happy to see their top players depart.

To be clear here i don't want them to make more money but would it not be in celtc's interest to sell him for say 6 million?

No profit so the 40% sell on clause doesn't kick in. They would then pocket the full 6 instead of maybe 3 if (massive) they got 15 for him and had to split the 6.

To be clear here i don't want them to make more money but would it not be in celtc's interest to sell him for say 6 million?

No profit so the 40% sell on clause doesn't kick in. They would then pocket the full 6 instead of maybe 3 if (massive) they got 15 for him and had to split the 6.
The keep anything up to £9 million in total themselves, with an additional 50 or 60% of everything above that, so no, there is no benefit to selling for less.

If they received £15m for him they'd trousers over £12m of it, not £3m.

The keep anything up to £9 million in total themselves, with an additional 50 or 60% of everything above that, so no, there is no benefit to selling for less.
if they were offered £5m, their choice is accept it and bank £5m or keep edouard, possibly keeping an unhappy player on the books which they'll lose for nothing in a years time.

Back