Brentford cut price for Neal Maupay - does this show that our asking price for Morelos is unlikely to be met?

Every club has a different situation so I don’t think you can necessarily draw any conclusions.

We aren’t in a rush (apparently) to punt Morelos, they might need the cash in from Maupay for other plans they have in the pipeline.

It’s also still relatively early for EPL sides as most returned for pre-season yesterday and have 4 weeks until they get started properly, and I imagine that’s the kind of move he’ll be looking to make.

What Brentford decide to do with an inferior player is up to them.

We have a business model and need to stick to it.

We keep saying players will only leave if clubs meet our valuation, if Morelos goes on the cheap it sends out the wrong message and we will continue to receive laughable bids from teams in England who are rolling in it.

It's amazing so many people think a red card would have such a big effect, clearly nonsense.

Not one, but an accumulation of them, although that particular one he, and we, have paid a big price for.

He lost any chance of going to Copa America, which he was desperate for and it would have increased his value.

Also, any clubs watching would have looked at that game, the biggest of the season and seen him add to his already growing rep for being easy to wind up.

People point to Costa and Suarez as examples of it not hampering their career and them still be sought after but the difference is they have already done it in the big leagues whereas we’ve got a supremely talented young striker, but a club watching might think if he’s unable to curb that in Scotland what chance will he have in the EPL/La Liga etc.

I’m Morelos biggest fan, unlike others who have said hey are done with him I want him to stay and prove he’s learned a harsh lesson, but there’s no point pretending his daft streak isn’t holding his career back and our chances of getting his true worth.

He sort of did the January before - he also arrived in Van Hoijdonkesque/Anelkaesque circumstance - if a player arrives like that, you should always half have it on your head they will likely leave like that.

No he didn’t, Helsinki were more than easy to deal with and Morelos didn’t down tools at all, thats made up.

What Brentford decide to do with an inferior player is up to them.

We have a business model and need to stick to it.

We keep saying players will only leave if clubs meet our valuation, if Morelos goes on the cheap it sends out the wrong message and we will continue to receive laughable bids from teams in England who are rolling in it.

Neal Maupay being an inferior player is very debatable, and certainly I don't think an English team would see it that way, which is essentially the market we're selling to as Morelos has confirmed himself that's where he'd like to go.

Seen they were originally asking for £22 million, but have now cut that to £15 million yet still haven't received any bids apparently.

Can't say I watched a massive amount of Maupay last season, but he's one I thought would go for a lot in the Summer so I'm quite surprised at this.

Similar age to Morelos & very similar stats to him in terms of goals and assists last season, without any of the baggage of having picked up 5 red cards or playing in Scotland. You'd think if they're struggling to sell at £15 million then we most likely will too.

What do we reckon? I'm starting to think it's very probable that Morelos will stay at this point.

Slightly different I’d have thought. If a team are actively looking to sell- which looks to be the case here then potential buyers can play a waiting game.
As far as I know we’re not touring Morelos round clubs trying to punt him so we can just sit tight and see what happens.
If no suitable bid comes in then great. If a bid that meets our valuation is received then that’s great too.

If morelos has another great season and also scoring in europa league and maybe a goal or 2 at the legodome we will have teams coming in for him

And what if the player downs tools and takes the huff? After all we gave him a new contract and asked for one more season out of him before selling him this summer.

Its tricky.

Precisely.

If someone bids £10-12m for him with a sell-on I think we’ll probably accept.

The alternative is to put our foot down and tell him we’re not selling at which point you run the risk of the player agitating for the move.

We’ve seen it time and time again. There’s very little loyalty to clubs anymore, especially when there’s huge sums on offer in the Premiership.

I’ll be delighted if the window shuts and we still have a revved up Morelos ready to increase his value for us, but I think it’s unlikely.

That’s why Suarez ended up going to Barca for £2.50

He only bit a couple of players and Racially abused another though.

He didn't connect with Scott Brown's chest or React to an ankle breaking challenge which went unpunished.

No he didn’t, Helsinki were more than easy to deal with and Morelos didn’t down tools at all, thats made up.

His agent was actively and socially vocal re the move, and was edging towards doing the same again during a previous window with us..

So no, no it isn't made up at all actually - most of our fans knew Morelos was joining us before the transfer was ever released by Rangers.

His agent was actively and socially vocal re the move, and was edging towards doing the same again during a previous window with us..

So no, no it isn't made up at all actually - most of our fans knew Morelos was joining us before the transfer was ever released by Rangers.

There’s absolutely nothing to say he did anything untoward or that Helsinki were upset by either Morelos or the agent, in fact they released a statement thanking him and talking about how proud they were to receive their record transfer fee.

So did he force through a move Van Donkeykong and Anelka style or were Helsinki more than happy to sell?

Did he down tools?

Btw, I and probably hundreds more knew Barton was signing before it was released by Rangers, it happens.

I'd rather he stayed. He is under a long contact, he won't be going for peanuts even if it's next summer

You build a team by keeping your best players and improving/replacing the others with better players.

It's not desperation but is it not slightly surprising that we've not even received a lowball offer from a team chancing their arm ? Was convinced we'd have saw £6/7/8m bids by now.

Have we over estimated the market for him ?

We wont accept 6/7/8 mil so clubs wont just bid for the sake of it

So why is Maupay £15m but we can apparently pick up Roofe for only £5m...is there much difference between them

I'd rather he stayed. He is under a long contact, he won't be going for peanuts even if it's next summer

You build a team by keeping your best players and improving/replacing the others with better players.

Liverpool improved massively on the back of the money they got for Coutinho by bringing in Van Dijk and Allison. Selling your highest assets is a good strategy these days as the money going about in football is mental right now & a lot can be done with it with good scouting and planning.

Nah I meant the months after that window when he was pretty pish

Or when we were in complete freefall and were playing crazy formations and players and a fairly tired Morelos was being asked to be our entire central midfield and strikeforce on his own? Before getting dropped randomly for Cummings.

I think Morelos does want to leave. I could see him trying to force it if a tempting offer came in. I think we would be idiots to sell him for less than a Scottish record but could understand it happening.

But i’m not having folk complaining about his work ethic. It’s like the folk who used to complain about Barrie MacKay’s first touch - they’re just so desperate to attack the player that they criticise everything, even the areas where a blind dog could see that they excel.

So why is Maupay £15m but we can apparently pick up Roofe for only £5m...is there much difference between them

Maupay is 4 years younger, has a longer contract and a better scoring record than Roofe. In terms of how good they are right now I don't think there's a lot in it, but you can see why Maupay would be worth more.

Or when we were in complete freefall and were playing crazy formations and players and a fairly tired Morelos was being asked to be our entire central midfield and strikeforce on his own? Before getting dropped randomly for Cummings.

It wasn't random..... his performances were pish

There are loads of things that can be true re Murty and his time at Rangers.

He can be a shit manager AND Morelos was playing shit - it doesn't have to be one or the other.

It's also possible to think loads of things about the player.

His attitude at that time, following on a rumored transfer bid was suspect as %^*&.

His attitude last season was for the most part cracking and his form improved.

Look, loads of open sweeping views that change and flow based on alternating circumstance.

Not simply just he is pure fucken great right and shut up and don't you dare say a thing negative about him.

This is a forum hen....where loads of people think loads of different things.....and in doing so nothing alters, changes etc no ones dug dies...

It is just people thinking things....

Last edited:
Again the team, aye great - they were shit, this particular thread and discussion is around Morelos.

The revision re his form at the time..... he was bogging, stropping around and disengaged from games

He was dropped for Cummings because his form merited it.

It was a period of time that did show that of a player who would give the appearance of someone who wasn't bothered their arse.

That is the exception rather than the rule in his time here though isn’t it?

He carried the team on his back for large periods of last season and worked his arse of every game for his manager.

That is the exception rather than the rule in his time here though isn’t it?

He carried the team on his back for large periods of last season and worked his arse of every game for his manager.

I just covered that above...

It is actually possible to think one thing about a certain period of time and circumstance and then another thing about another period of time and circumstance....

Getting sent off against them could have been the best thing to happen to him. He'll know that messed up any potential to play for Colombia so will be doing everything in his power to rectify that side of his game.

He only bit a couple of players and Racially abused another though.

He didn't connect with Scott Brown's chest or React to an ankle breaking challenge which went unpunished.

3 times Suarez saw fit to sink his teeth into opposition players. Then there’s the Evra racial slur.

3 of these 4 incidents occurred during televised matches against Manchester United, Chelsea, and a WC knock out match vs Italy. So it’s not like he was doing these things in small games under the radar either, he pretty much waited until the biggest matches to show the watching world that he was mentally unhinged. There was never even a hint of Liverpool having to lower their asking price because of his history as a mentalist.

He’s going nowhere unless our price is met.Just signed a long contract last year so we can tell whoever tries to come the cu*t to do one.

Football is basically turning into the art world - where a piece of art is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay, rather than a market value.
That's how things actually work in the real world. Football often appears to exist in another universe.

Morelos didn’t down tools under Murty. He just sunk with the rest of the team and he certainly lost his confidence. He never stopped working or putting himself about though.

His miss against Celtic at Hampden summed him up by that point, powderpuff effort right at the keeper, a sign of a striker who was too scared to put his foot through the ball or aim at either corner incase he missed the target.

It wasn't random..... his performances were pish

There are loads of things that can be true re Murty and his time at Rangers.

He can be a shit manager AND Morelos was playing shit - it doesn't have to be one or the other.

It's also possible to think loads of things about the player.

His attitude at that time, following on a rumored transfer bid was suspect as %^*&.

His attitude last season was for the most part cracking and his form improved.

Look, loads of open sweeping views that change and flow based on alternating circumstance.

Not simply just he is pure fucken great right and shut up and don't you dare say a thing negative about him.

This is a forum hen....where loads of people think loads of different things.....and in doing so nothing alters, changes etc no ones dug dies...

It is just people thinking things....

It’s just that you continually criticise him. And the criticism that he doesn’t try for the team is just laughable. His workrate, even when not scoring, is his single best attribute. The time you are talking about was when the team fell apart. He still was the best player in it

Criticise away but the thing I am thinking is that you just really dislike the player for some reason and so talk pish about him.

He'll have nothing to huff about if there's no offer!

The issue comes from there being an offer that's acceptable to the club to what Morelos and his agent want and whether they feel the club is holding his career back etc.

Morelos and his agent have been in the media plenty in recent times speaking about a lot of interest in the player etc whilst at the same time Gerrard is saying we haven't even had a bid for him. There's mixed messages coming from both camps and a bit of a poker game being played out.

Lets just keep our best player and get his true value next summer, the desperation to sell him from some folk is depressing.

Pretty much this. His value is only going to go up (barring serious injury). He is still pretty raw in some regards therefore open to plenty of improvement. If we don’t get £20m this summer then keep him and let him win us 55.

I am all for us keeping Morelos, unless we get a crazy bid. Morelos is an infinitely better player than Tierney so if they want £25m, I want £40m for Morelos. That’s not happening, so I would not be inclined to sell.

It’s just that you continually criticise him. And the criticism that he doesn’t try for the team is just laughable. His workrate, even when not scoring, is his single best attribute. The time you are talking about was when the team fell apart. He still was the best player in it

Criticise away but the thing I am thinking is that you just really dislike the player for some reason and so talk pish about him.

That just makes you come across as a bit of a dafty and someone who doesn't really get how opinions and people thinking things works.

You seem to justify being a Rangers fan as having a need to shoot verbal rainbows up a players arse

I fucken love Morelos but I also watch Rangers and see things happen during games, scenarios, situations, circumstance etc - i speak about Rangers in a way any normal person would, some things are great, some things are good, some things are shit etc and so on - loads of shade and color

Your mollycoddling of him - its just dull - its a bit tedious to read, it sort of derails things as you go so far..................................................................................................................................................over here with your view..............................................................................................................................................................................that it means you take anything other than what you say to be away over here and it just leaves you with a fuzzy, distorted image of things, its a bit shan on you to be honest bud.

Last edited:
I think the red card thing is a bit of a red herring. For every player with a bad disciplinary record there are 10 bang average managers whose go let's then think they are te one to tame him.

I think it's just down to the fact he hasn't won anything or even shone in the bigger ganes

Nah I meant the months after that window when he was pretty pish
Just you continue speculating on whats going on in a players head.

Meanwhile in the real world, we’ll all stick to facts. Was he pish from that moment on?

All you do is post negativity on most threads. Most doom and gloom poster on here, lighten up.

Just you continue speculating on whats going on in a players head.

Meanwhile in the real world, we’ll all stick to facts. Was he pish from that moment on?

All you do is post negativity on most threads. Most doom and gloom poster on here, lighten up.

reading is fun

That just makes you come across as a bit of a dafty and someone who doesn't really get how opinions and people thinking things works.

You seem to justify being a Rangers fan as having a need to shoot verbal rainbows up a players arse

I fucken love Morelos but I also watch Rangers and see things happen during games, scenarios, situations, circumstance etc - i speak about Rangers in a way any normal person would, some things are great, some things are good, some things are shit etc and so on - loads of shade and color

Your mollycoddling of him - its just dull - its a bit tedious to read, it sort of derails things as you go so far..................................................................................................................................................over here with your view..............................................................................................................................................................................that it means you take anything other than what you say to be away over here and it just leaves you with a fuzzy, distorted image of things, its a bit shan on you to be honest bud.

Mate that is really quite a rant. Think you’ll find that I do criticise players. I just try to do it fairly. Not hate on them so much I can’t do anything but criticise. Slagging Morelos’ workrate is a bit like saying, “that Ojo is just shite at cutting inside and curling a goal in with his left foot.”

I know you dislike Morelos. I can’t figure out why. But try limiting your continual attacks on him to things that might actually be reasonable. You might convince more folk that way.

Mate that is really quite a rant. Think you’ll find that I do criticise players. I just try to do it fairly. Not hate on them so much I can’t do anything but criticise. Slagging Morelos’ workrate is a bit like saying, “that Ojo is just shite at cutting inside and curling a goal in with his left foot.”

I know you dislike Morelos. I can’t figure out why. But try limiting your continual attacks on him to things that might actually be reasonable. You might convince more folk that way.

Again - you need yer hole lad, you take the internet way too serious

Seen they were originally asking for £22 million, but have now cut that to £15 million yet still haven't received any bids apparently.

Can't say I watched a massive amount of Maupay last season, but he's one I thought would go for a lot in the Summer so I'm quite surprised at this.

Similar age to Morelos & very similar stats to him in terms of goals and assists last season, without any of the baggage of having picked up 5 red cards or playing in Scotland. You'd think if they're struggling to sell at £15 million then we most likely will too.

What do we reckon? I'm starting to think it's very probable that Morelos will stay at this point.
You’ve got remember Alfie’s played in Europe

That little comment didn’t go too well for you on the other thread. Would recommend you try to find a new cliché to go to when you’ve lost an argument.

Nah I’m sure I’ll have to say it again tomorrow when you chase around any Morelos comments like an enthusiastic wee dug, “arguing” on the internet- till then, you just focus on getting your end away and enjoying life a bit more - I mean that lad, there is more to life than this.

Lets just keep our best player and get his true value next summer, the desperation to sell him from some folk is depressing.
people maybe not realising where we would've ended up without his goals last season! a like the wee man if we get the same amount of goals again id be happy hopfully he's managed to calm his temper Suarez showed it can be done imagine if no one had reason to send him off still scoring at that rate! we wouldn't be able to afford a player like that on the other hand if we got really good money to 're invest then I would take it cos maybe he hasn't learned any lessons

I'd guess the wage increases were on the expectation of a sale this Summer - with the money earmarked for transfer activity.

I think we'll start getting offers in soon. I'd be surprised, though, if they will be for as much as we hope. A big decision then for the Club.

Back