Brexit! Does anyone know if/how it will effect football teams ability to sign from abroad now?

AndythephotoDr

I imagine with the right to work in the UK freely it will effect footballers and like players from South America, Africa, Asia etc players will have to apply for work permits. I know work permits in the past were sort of limited.

question here is kind of two fol, what will happen but also as I suspect the answer will be work permit based should the club be actively trying to buy best of British/Scottish again and the notion of hoovering up the likes of Ferguson at Aberdeen is actually a good idea.

maybe it will push the prices for British talent up again as all clubs will have to look at home grown players if there is a restriction of work permits

I imagine though the work permit system itself will be revised to allow more non British players to play but again it may be like the past where it’s a “3 foreigner“ type situation where the number of overseas players per squad might come into play

i didn’t vote for Brexit but this is perhaps one area where it potentially has a positive effect where British players have to play and perhaps the more that do the better the home nations become

it will certainly make it harder to sign a player now that has 0 international games. finding another morelos type mite be impossible again. so just means we need to make sure our scouts are in about england more.

I think you will need work permits but I think it might be better because I think that you will be able to sign players without them having to play internationals because they will get a work permit as they have a guaranteed job and will in alot of cases be paying a lot of tax.

Rules will be bent to allow scum to sign who they wish will everyone else will be subject to strict work permit legislation

What ever Westminster decide wee krankie will do the opposite
UK teams will not be able to sign promising youth players at 16 years of age for a development fee directly from the European market once Brexit is final. Talented prospects will be available for a considerably higher transfer fee from the age of 18 instead of the development fee at 16. Some English clubs are planning to get round this by owning a small club on the continent to sign targets for the development fee and keep them for two years avoiding a big transfer outlay for the benefit of the English parent club. Brexit will seriously impact the work permit allocation criteria for all foreign players now, possibly including the European ones already here.

They’ll probably be deemed skilled workers or whatever. Not really different from Brazilians, Americans or Africans playing in Britain already.

I’m sure I read ages ago that the Premier League had negotiated a deal with the government where all current players are fine to continue and from there on there will be a restriction in the number of foreign players allowed in squads but as long as clubs keep to these quotas then they are free to sign whoever they like.

I’m guessing the SPFL have done nothing about it and it will be a real struggle to sign anyone from abroad.

Work permit rules will need to be updated. They’ll work around this. Liverpool and Man City, for example, have loads of non EU players already.

Nobody knows.

Players will almost certainly meet the earnings threshold for work permits but there's a big question as to whether or not they'd qualify under a points based system. Its going to be difficult to argue that they're all skilled workers of a standard that couldn't be recruited from within the UK. Or that they're working in an essential area of the labour market.

Do the Nats have the power to impose different immigration law rules in Scotland, as opposed to the rest of the UK?
I don’t believe they do. Just like Brecht was a U.K. wide thing, the deal (or not) agreed with the EU will also be for the whole of the U.K.

UK teams will not be able to sign promising youth players at 16 years of age for a development fee directly from the European market once Brexit is final. Talented prospects will be available for a considerably higher transfer fee from the age of 18 instead of the development fee at 16. Some English clubs are planning to get round this by owning a small club on the continent to sign targets for the development fee and keep them for two years avoiding a big transfer outlay for the benefit of the English parent club. Brexit will seriously impact the work permit allocation criteria for all foreign players now, possibly including the European ones already here.

We need to look into this too.

I don’t believe they do. Just like Brecht was a U.K. wide thing, the deal (or not) agreed with the EU will also be for the whole of the U.K.

Brecht wrote the Threepenny Opera.

The SNP government are more like a tu'penny ha'penny soap opera.

The UK already has a points based system (and has for about 10 years) with a work visa specifically for professional athletes and coaches whereby they need to be endorsed by the governing body of the sport in question. This will be the same in the new system so it won’t be impossible to sign non UK nationals but it’ll likely be a bit harder for EU citizens apart from EU citizens who have already been in the UK before the end of this year as they will have permission to work/ stay in the UK via the EU settlement scheme

No, but they are always pushing for this kind of thing. It's in their long list of grievances.

Not to go off topic, but as a Londoner (born to an Ulster mother & father) I can never understand the legitimacy for half of their "grievances". And you are right that there is always a risk they would try to impose some weird work permit rule purely to take the Scottish game out of line with that in England. I would hope to see more British born and bred players being given the chance across all the leagues if the EU do play hardball in the negotiations.

Not to go off topic, but as a Londoner (born to an Ulster mother & father) I can never understand the legitimacy for half of their "grievances". And you are right that there is always a risk they would try to impose some weird work permit rule purely to take the Scottish game out of line with that in England. I would hope to see more British born and bred players being given the chance across all the leagues if the EU do play hardball in the negotiations.

Me too! It would be a blessing in disguise.

Do you think it would be possible to go down the road Portugal have and be a gateway into Europe for a lot of South American talent?

No idea about Scotland specifically but the UK govt will do all it can to keep the EPL cash cow as strong as possible. The govt will bend over backwards to keep the EPL sweet.

It needs to happen now as a safeguard to our player trading strategy which featured highly at the AGM.
Agreed. I think the biggest issue is that nobody knows how this is all going to pan out especially, as it stands, the Government does not even have a deal yet.

Back