Brian Laudrup and Paul Gascoigne Signing Equivalents Now.

Delboy1962

We all know how massive those two magnificent players signings were back in the day .
Which players of the modern game would equate to those two now?.

I’d say if we were to sign the current Gazza then we’d be targeting one of England best players - Sterling would probably be the closest IMO. If you weren’t bothered about it being an Englishman then I agree with the poster who said Eriksen.

The currently Laudrup would be someone who is an excellent footballer, approaching his peak but struggling to get in one of the best teams in the world - I’d go for someone like Isco or Draxler.

The currently Laudrup would be someone who is an excellent footballer, approaching his peak but struggling to get in one of the best teams in the world - I’d go for someone like Isco or Draxler.

Great shout.

For Gazza, I've no idea. I think he was unique, not just in his ability but his status and situation at the time.

Cristiano Ronaldo and Neymar. Although in comparison I don't rate them anywhere near Laudrup or Gazza, I know its biased but they were world class, plus the fact that Laudrup could play multiple positions.

It's difficult to give Gazza an equivalent. He was a once in a generation player, he maybe didnt quite reach the heights expected but those heights were to be the best player in the world.

It's difficult to give Gazza an equivalent. He was a once in a generation player, he maybe didnt quite reach the heights expected but those heights were to be the best player in the world.

You would have to have an equivalent modern player who had world class ability, at the peak of his career age-wise, but with significant injuries having taken their toll and being a serious loose cannon in terms of personality. I can't think of anyone who goes that template these days, he was a one-off. Maybe somebody like Ronaldinho leaving Barca is the closest and even that isn't a current situation.

Thought the Laudrup/Thorgan Hazard comarison earlier in this thread was a good one.

Brilliant question with no easy answer as I would doubt there's any direct comparisons. It's like being back in philosophy class :)

I would say Dybala at Juve has a lot of Gaza's characteristics; he can drive forward from midfield beat a man and score goals. And it ticks the "signing from a top Italian team" box if you're desperate.

For Laudrup, I'd go for Kevin De Bruyne. He can play across the front three, can dribble and score goals.

I'll watch this thread with interest ...

Honestly don't think you can find a modern day Laudrup.

So glad I grew up watching him, gazza, coisty, goram and all the other world class players we had in that era.

Hope for my two sons we can kick on and they get to experience the same joy I got to.

For Gazza I’d say Modric. Fantastic on the ball.
For god I’d say Florian Thauvin.
Sorry mate, thauvin couldn't lace god's boots. Laudrup for me would be like a James Rodriguez who played for big clubs but needed a move to Ibrox to get the best out of himself

Who is comparable to them. Trying to think of a top winger / forward like Laudrup and a midfield maestro like Gazza playing currently. Hazard for Laudrup and perhaps Silva for Gazza.

Looking at some of the current Rangers squad, if we stay settled with Gerrard at the helm, then I can see the likes of Kent, Aribo, Kamara, Barasic and Katic catching fire and being amongst the best in their respective positions in the UK / Europe, the same way that Morelos has developed.

Changed days from when we signed the likes of Butcher, Woods, Steven, Stevens, Laudrup, Gascoigne, Kuznetzov, Mikhailichenko and Hately etc. But in many ways equally as exciting as we watch this squad develop and grow.

I can’t think of any player that compares with Gazza as a player or a person. He was as daft as a brush, fragile and flawed yet a genius on the park. England should probably have been in a World Cup and European Championship final because of him.

Not sure of the equivalent but someone would need plenty of cash to buy them!! Mega millions.

Were any other teams interested in Gazza at the time? Looking back it was some signing. I really cant believe we never kicked on in Europe with that team.

Bloody hell mate...

Laudrup >>>>> Thorgan Hazard

Eden maybe but not the current bloated version

If Thorgan continues progressing in the manner he has, he's gone from failing to make an impact in the Premier League to establishing himself in Germany. He's a regular starter for one of the best international sides in the world and he's currently scoring 1 in 4 in one of the toughest leagues in the world. He's a £25 million pound player as it is. If he moved to Scotland in his prime then we might see the same kind of return that we got out of Laudrup - as difficult as it is to compare the situations.

Brilliant concept/question.

Unfortunately impossible to answer for me. The game has changed so much I find it hard to imagine sending players back from now to then that would match or be similar.

However, I think that if you were to send Gazza and Laudrup forward to now they could genuinely play in ANY team.

In the spirit of the post however I'll have a stab.

Laudrup - Eden Hazard

Gazza - Kevin de Bruyne

Brilliant concept/question.

Unfortunately impossible to answer for me. The game has changed so much I find it hard to imagine sending players back from now to then that would match or be similar.

However, I think that if you were to send Gazza and Laudrup forward to now they could genuinely play in ANY team.

In the spirit of the post however I'll have a stab.

Laudrup - Gareth Bale

Gazza - Ozil (at Madrid)

Back