Brian Laudrup and Paul Gascoigne Signing Equivalents Now.

Hard to compare. Possibly Aaron Ramsey for gazza. Cant think for Laudrup
No way Ramsey is in the same league as Gazza. Gazza was genuinely seen as one of the most exciting prospects in world football, I honestly dont think theres been an English player since that generated that level of excitement.

Givin this a bit of thought, a player that was a mainstay at their National team but struggling with club form, had a massive euros a few years previous I think for Laudrup - Griezmann
Runner up in the Euros last time rather than winner, hasn’t won the European cup but has won the Europa League and World Cup so balances.

As for Gazza - perhaps an Aaron Ramsey, both had good careers in England, both had bad Injuries, both had/having a tough time settling in Italy.
There are very few players who play the way Gazza did now. Hard one.

No way Ramsey is in the same league as Gazza. Gazza was genuinely seen as one of the most exciting prospects in world football, I honestly dont think theres been an English player since that generated that level of excitement.
Before his Injuries Ramsey was going to be the next best thing in England. Can actually see quite a few comparisons with their careers.

As much as I love Gerrard I am afraid that’s nonsense.

As a manager, true. But, as a player, Gerrard was up there. Widely acclaimed as competing with Scholes as the best English player of his generation in a generation considered better than Gazza’s. And widely hailed as having led/single handedly won the biggest comeback in Champion’s League History. In the modern era of CL where winning it is bloody difficult, especially as Liverpool were nowhere near the prestige then that they have now.

Gerrard would be in contention for any world 11 of his generation. As would Gazza and Laudrup. But I would be willing to entertain the view that Gerrard would be more likely to be included than the other two, with no disrespect to their greatness.

Brilliant concept/question.

Unfortunately impossible to answer for me. The game has changed so much I find it hard to imagine sending players back from now to then that would match or be similar.

However, I think that if you were to send Gazza and Laudrup forward to now they could genuinely play in ANY team.

In the spirit of the post however I'll have a stab.

Laudrup - Eden Hazard

Gazza - Kevin de Bruyne

With all due respect, the team that had Laudrup and Gascoigne in it never managed to get through a Champions League group stage. Do you really think that it's comparable to the achievements of De Bruyne and Hazard without bringing in their competitive honours at the top level?

Before his Injuries Ramsey was going to be the next best thing in England. Can actually see quite a few comparisons with their careers.
I really dont see it. Ramsey was a good prospect no doubt, he was never seen as one of the top players in the world. Gazza was. Even by the standard of the time he was an incredible signing.

As a manager, true. But, as a player, Gerrard was up there. Widely acclaimed as competing with Scholes as the best English player of his generation in a generation considered better than Gazza’s. And widely hailed as having led/single handedly won the biggest comeback in Champion’s League History. In the modern era of CL where winning it is bloody difficult, especially as Liverpool were nowhere near the prestige then that they have now.

Gerrard would be in contention for any world 11 of his generation. As would Gazza and Laudrup. But I would be willing to entertain the view that Gerrard would be more likely to be included than the other two, with no disrespect to their greatness.
I would say Gazza had more natural talent than Gerrard, however Gerrard made more of his talent due to his mindset and professionalism.

Pogba couldn't lace peak Gazza's boots.
That’s the thing.
Brian Laudrups weren’t ten a penny by any manner of means but maybe a player like Shaquiri would be a status equivalent in that he isn’t getting a game for his club at the minute.
Gascoigne though, I can’t think of a similar player in status.
We’d really be going top drawer for an equivalent.

That’s true but so many were bestowed with this noose.
The English have been trying hard since Gascoigne’s heyday to replace him but have never managed it.
Not with Scholes, Gerrard or Lampard all of whom could be said to have done better with less natural ability.

That’s the thing.
Brian Laudrups weren’t ten a penny by any manner of means but maybe a player like Shaquiri would be a status equivalent in that he isn’t getting a game for his club at the minute.
Maybe not understanding your post right mate, but surely you can’t be comparing Shaquiri with Brian Laudrup in any walk of life?

That’s the thing.
Maybe not understanding your post right mate, but surely you can’t be comparing Shaquiri with Brian Laudrup in any walk of life?
Apologies just realised the context of the comparison and you’re probably right.

It's probably realistic and fair. If Shaqiri spent the best part of 5 years here at the peak of his career, he could potentially make the same impression on our game. How do you reconcile a football team with two absolute geniuses in Laudrup and Gascoigne, our best goalkeeper ever in Goram, our best centre back ever (potentially) in Gough and our greatest ever goalscorer in McCoist making no significant mark in Europe - with the exception of one season when a couple of those players weren't involved?

For Gazza see Jack Wilshere

If we signed Jack Wilshere now he will be 28, Gazza was 28 when he signed for us.

Both players had sparkling starts to their career, both looked a sensation as a teenager.

Both were England's big hope at one point.

Both are noted for questionable behaviour off the park.

Both been seriously hampered by injuries during their career.

Now obviously Gazza was on another level ability wise to Wilshere and also for what he did at international and club level but the comparisons can be made imo in terms of the style of player and the way they never really made as much of their careers as they should have.

For Brian Laudrup it's a lot harder to find a direct comparison.

Note he joined Rangers when he was 25 by which time he had already won Euro 92 with the Danes, and finished 6th in the Ballon D'or vote in the same year. He had already played with the likes of AC Milan and Bayern Munich. He was completely adored by those in his home land and I guess at that point would already have been considered one of the best Danish players of all time, which he was to go on and cement later in his 1998 France performance.

Eden Hazard comes to mind for comparable finishes in the Ballon D'or vote, and performances for his country. Although Hazard has undoubtedly been more consistent and won more at club level, it's about as close as a comparison as I could find. Had it been 25 years ago, could we have afforded a player like Hazard at Chelsea? Hard to tell. Although, had it been 25 years ago, Hazard would have been at a Milan or a Juventus or a Real Madrid no doubt.

It's probably realistic and fair. If Shaqiri spent the best part of 5 years here at the peak of his career, he could potentially make the same impression on our game. How do you reconcile a football team with two absolute geniuses in Laudrup and Gascoigne, our best goalkeeper ever in Goram, our best centre back ever (potentially) in Gough and our greatest ever goalscorer in McCoist making no significant mark in Europe - with the exception of one season when a couple of those players weren't involved?
Yes, agree with everything you said mate, I posted another reply to the last poster saying I’d misunderstood. Great post btw.

I thought he looked like a superstar in the making in his early appearances at Arsenal.
He certainly looked good mate. Injuries haven’t helped but I also don’t think his application has either millionaire basically before 25. Be hard and I’d be lying if I said I’d be fully focused knowing you’re basically sorted for life, suppose that’s what separates the great players

Back