Brian Rice claims over 80 per cent of dressing room players are gambling on football

The problem as I see it is not that players will place bets with bookies on their own team's result or even the result of other games which they are not involved in.
The problem lies more with players placing wagers with other team members on events within the game, such as which member of their team will receive a yellow card.
However, while this is not betting on the actual result of the game, and the players may consider it acceptable to do so, it may result in behaviour that effects the result of the game.

Like the FOBs in bookie shops they should make it a simple case of / the max u can win from these ( special bets is £2

Hamilton boss Brian Rice has made a shock claim about gambling addictions in the Scottish game - saying up to 85 percent of those within a changing room are betting on football.

The Accies manager was slapped with a 10 game ban with five matches suspended after admitting to having a gambling problem and writing to the SFA to express his regret and admit guilt.

Rice was inundated with support after his admission but has now claimed the whopping number of those inside the game are gambling on their sport.

Some, he says, even use pseudonyms to hide their true identity and avoid punishment from the higher-ups.

In an interview with Lanarkshire Live Sport, Rice said: "I know for certain there is between 80-85 percent of players in dressing rooms gambling on football. Under various names, other people's names, everything.

Any way to do it and I think there's a very high percentage of young kids who have started gambling or have been caught in the grips of gambling but are scared to come forward because of the consequences.

"These kids need help, they're crying out for help. They want to stop but are afraid to stop in case they get banned or their name is on the front of the papers. I put my career on the line here, everything on the line here to do this. I hope it gives them the strength and courage to come forward and ask for this help."

I don’t doubt it for a second.

Anybody who has played football at any decent level are aware of the gambling culture.

Shagging, gambling, drinking and showing off are the subject that makes up about 90% of dressing room chat.

The actual fitba is only about 10%:))

No exactly difficult to set up an account in your brother’s name with your brother’s credit card linked to it. You can pay you brother cash to cover your bets

Football authorities in this country need a boot in the arse

Really wouldn't be surprised if it's at least that.

One thing I never understood. Perhaps not so much with the lower paid footballers and sports people in general. However, some of the highest paid sports people in the world have done themselves some serious damage because of gambling and I just don't get it. Perhaps being someone who doesn't gamble myself I don't understand the point of view but when you're earning millions to blow, possibly millions, on gambling doesn't make sense. Is it just pure greed? Is it boredom?

It may sound a bit uncaring but I truly think he's milking it at this stage in order to deflect from his own failures. Nowhere near 80% of my mates gamble, never mind 80% of a particular group of professional footballers who have the added barriers of hiding their names / using other people's cards and also the risks of fines and bans if caught - for what, an acca?

100% no doubt about it , don’t really see it being an issue as long as they aren’t betting on competitions they are involved in. the blanket ban seems odd , why can’t an spl player have a few quid bet on the World Cup for example if not involved.

So the whole Aberdeen team bet on them winning against us and lose against Celtic? Easy money!

There was program on bbc the other night can you beat the bookies the guy only made money on tennis court counting i think it was called he lost over 3k betting on football on three matches :oops:
He only made money on the tennis because of a split second delay on the satellite broadcast. As you say, he got leathered on the football, even the “sure thing” matches.
It’s a mug’s game and I’m glad I have no interest in it. Gambling addiction is horrible.

No real surprise there
I think of footballers in general to be as thick as mince
Men with money who are thick as mince will bet money at the bookies and get tattoos

I’d imagine if I was a player I’d definitely be betting on maself ti get a goal.
I’d be betting on myself to not get a goal. And the problem with that is the results become corrupt. This can’t go be allowed to go on in the game, hence why Rice has spoken up.

Who really cares.

In the grand scheme of everything going on in the world putting a coupon on every Saturday would be well down the list for getting upset.
As long as they don't bet against their own team and they keep it within reason then I've no problem with it at all.

Hypocrisy ? What a lot of nonsense, betting companies sponsor competitions so that means players have to bet ?
Players and Managers cannot bet on football, that's as simple as it gets yet they do, how does the sponsor make a difference ?
Any of them claiming this is in anyway related to their actions should take some responsibility for their own actions and not just look to make an excuse and be a victim
Think the hypocrisy part is that its ok for the football authorities to help encourage fans to bet but players cant.

Was told that he was caught bang to rights regarding betting and that is why he turned himself in.
Football guy betting on football. Never as corrupt as horse racing.

I know an EPL/Championship striker who bets regular. No accounts in his name.
It’s not rocket science to realise associates of said footballers open the accounts and do the leg work whilst the rich players provide the cash.

I honestly don't see why players should not be aloud to gamble as long as it is not in their own league.

Highly charged young men with disposable cash and lots of downtime on their hands of course they are gambling.

I have no issue with it so long as they are not betting on games they can influence.

I mean what's the harm in a hamilton player betting on real madrid barca or liverpool?
Problem is they have mates in the game.
So player A at Aberdeen could bet on player B at Celtic doing something in game. He doesn't bet on the game he's playing in but he can bet on a game where he has some inside info on what's going on.

I had a bet a few games back, just a few players who could potentially get bookings. I was surprised at the odds. How easy would it have been for the 3 players to have a mate at Hibs who was in on their intent. Yellow cards are so easy to pick up ( well usually, 2 Celtic players probably explains the long odds mind you)
9j1f1ux.jpg

These 3 players in turn have a bet on the Hibs game and get 3 declans there to reciprocate.

Nobody bets on their own game.

It may sound a bit uncaring but I truly think he's milking it at this stage in order to deflect from his own failures. Nowhere near 80% of my mates gamble, never mind 80% of a particular group of professional footballers who have the added barriers of hiding their names / using other people's cards and also the risks of fines and bans if caught - for what, an acca?

Literally every one of my mates has a punt on the football. Some of them don't play football and never have. So I'd hazard a guess that it's actually over 80% of footballers who gamble tbh.

I wonder what it is that gets all these Ladbrokes Premiership players into gambling? I bet they're even up to their disgusting antics on William Hill Scottish Cup weekends too the scoundrels.

How do these players get caught? Surely the bookies don’t grass them up as that must be some form of data protection breach.

I'd say at least 80% of my mates have a bet on the football. They're not all heavy gamblers but occasionally enjoy a coupon at the weekend.

It’ll be rife especially at lower league and semi pro clubs.

Iv been in dressing rooms at junior teams where the Christmas night out fund has been put on us to win if we felt the bookies were offering generous enough odds on us

That happened at a team I was at. Everyone put their wages in and we stuck it on ourselves

Pumped 2-0!

Back