Brian Rice - Gambling notice of complaint

Spot on. Every domestic competition we take part in is sponsored by a betting company for %^*& sake

As are we on our own shirt......and Steak Pie Athletic.

Fact is once fags and booze sponsorship were clamped down on there is only really betting mobs willing to put their money in to football. Scotland won't attract a blue chip sponsor like Barclays, Axa or Budweiser for its competitions.

There is rank hypocrisy though I agree.

Takes a lot to speak out in public and admit your weakness so fair play to him. He has always spoke well of us and I hope he gets the help needed

Have a friend with a gambling addiction, she has struggled over the years to overcome it but never quite managed.
Wish him well.

Hard to see what a fair punishment for this would be. Probably just put them out the Scottish Cup and drawn a line under the whole thing

Unless you actually kill somebody, financial crimes often carry harsher sentences than physical violence, in proper courts of law as well, not just SFA kangaroo courts
Yip. Can get longer for fraud than you can get for attempted murder :) !

Feel sorry for Brian Rice. Gambling addiction is treated with contempt these days as this thread and a previous thread that GS started over the weekend.

Once you have it you 'cant just stop'.

See unless you are betting for or against your own team then I really don't see what the issue is.

You Are talking about a league who seek sponsorship from the likes of Ladbrokes. Maybe if it is such an issue then bin the betting company sponsorship of the league and cups etc.

I agree with the sentiment, but I'd extend that to any team in your league.

Imagine we are playing a team and due to play Aberdeen away a week later. A more malicious player who's addicted could go out their way to take out key players for us by injury or red card, to influence the next game.

I agree it's hypocritical to now allow footballers or managers any gambling when so much sponsorship comes from those companies, but I think nobody should be allowed to bet on their own league.

Im sure i read somewhere online they are looking at possibly banning gambling sponsorship soon , would be a good thing in my opinion

He has two things going for him...

1. As a genuinely nice guy who is generally well thought of, he will probably get an easy ride from the authorities and the mhedia.

2. Not being a Bluenose, he will probably get an easy ride from the authorities and the mhedia.

I agree with the sentiment, but I'd extend that to any team in your league.

Imagine we are playing a team and due to play Aberdeen away a week later. A more malicious player who's addicted could go out their way to take out key players for us by injury or red card, to influence the next game.

I agree it's hypocritical to now allow footballers or managers any gambling when so much sponsorship comes from those companies, but I think nobody should be allowed to bet on their own league.
Its not even as in depth as that mate. Its throw ins, corners etc that a lot of the dodgy betting is on.

Nothing to stop you giving away half a dozen throw ins in one half if you are playing full back etc.

While I agree you should be punished for breaking the rules, a little bit of commen sense has to come into play at times

I’ve met him a few times and he’s a great guy. Be interesting to see how this plays out tho as he’s well in with the SFA through their coach development courses, surely he can’t head up those anymore with this hanging over him

Many have been absolutely ruined by what he rightly calls this disease - good luck to him, he always seems a thoroughly decent fella.

Hopefully he isn't hit too hard by the notice of complaint against him the day after they drew us in the William Hill Scottish Cup. Especially since they'll need him at his best to stay in the Ladbrokes premiership. Luckily the Betfred Cup is already done with. :rolleyes:

Given that he’s shopped himself in and has an addiction problem then perhaps most of whatever punishment he gets should be suspended for a period of say 3 years.

Hammering him just now is not going to help him. Addicts (whatever their addiction) need help.

Hope BR get's the help he needs and that the SFA show common sense and compassion when dealing with this, somehow I doubt they will.

Id be shocked if match officials dont bet on the games it seems obvious they must be making a few extra quid with their crazy behaviour. Maybe we should say it one of these statements.... we are worried about gambling(no doubt its corruption) as something sinister is happening in refereeing, seems a better option than calling for VAR.

So easy to do it just dont do it too often and pick different bookies foreign ones probably best. Use a mates card/account.

The rules don’t seem particularly clear, as people have said as long as it’s nothing he could influence away from Scottish football, what’s the problem? How do you check it though, although sounds like the fella needs a clean break to sort himself out, not rules to facilitate the issue.

I hope he gets the help he needs and from what I gather he has been recently however he now has a bigger fight than to keep his job ,this illness will take everything ,he has to learn to listen to the people who are helping him and change ,he has to change as a person and admit once and for all that gambling has him beaten ,once he accepts that first step he will be on a road to recovery

I wish him well

Id be shocked if match officials dont bet on the games it seems obvious they must be making a few extra quid with their crazy behaviour. Maybe we should say it one of these statements.... we are worried about gambling(no doubt its corruption) as something sinister is happening in refereeing, seems a better option than calling for VAR.

So easy to do it just dont do it too often and pick different bookies foreign ones probably best. Use a mates card/account.

Come on, you seriously can’t believe that refs are gambling on gamesz

Come on, you seriously can’t believe that refs are gambling on gamesz

I think it's more unbelieveable for someone to think this doesn't go on. Think if you were a referee just how easy it would be to pull off the odd scam. I know for a fact that I could get away with it in this day and age with all the technology available to mask identity online and all the different betting markets which you could quite easily influence as a ref (over 3 yellows etc). Absolute power corrupts absolutely and all that ...

See unless you are betting for or against your own team then I really don't see what the issue is.

You Are talking about a league who seek sponsorship from the likes of Ladbrokes. Maybe if it is such an issue then bin the betting company sponsorship of the league and cups etc.
Are they not FIFA rules?

When I played in Australia a few years back at amateur level, when I signed we got some thing where it basically said I wasn’t allowed to bet on any football across the entire world. This was literally reserve level local association stuff about 4 tiers below the National Premier Leagues.

Will be interesting to see how the authorities deal with this one.
With the way he has owned up to it, hopefully a light punishment & theyoffer him the help he needs.

Back